Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 01-09-12, 10:24 AM   #1
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Baitcaster reel question

I am new to using baitcasters and would welcome any opinions on this reel. It's normally $79.99, but it's on sale now for $39.99. Is it a decent reel for a baitcaster rookie like me to learn on, or should I be spending more to get a reel to learn with?

Also, any rods in the $100-ish range you would recommend if I plan to use this setup for 1/2 - 3/4 oz cranks?

Thanks!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-12, 11:30 AM   #2
Tavery5

Dean, as a veteran member , I am sure you have seen recommendations by many experienced anglers from this site, don't buy a cheap reel to learn with.

When I say cheap, it does not necessarily refer to price, it has allot to do with the reel and its design and construction.
I have not fished this reel, but I have read many reviews about it, and not many of them are positive. Do yourself a favor and purchase a quality reel to learn with, one that as you grow proficient it will still be a usable part of your arsenal, and not something you toss aside, money wasted.

Take a look at some of the BPS reels, the Carbonlite, PQ, maybe the Extreme, while these reels won't break the bank they do offer nice features and are much better built. Many of these reels offer dual braking which will make your learning experience much more pleasant and as you progress they will continue to be very usable reels.

IMHO, a reel with a lower gear ratio, makes for a nice crankbait reel, something in the 5.1:1 range, if you are looking for something a little more versatile then check out reels in the 6.4:1 ratio. Typically reels with the lower gear ratio allow you to work your bait in the strike zone for longer periods of time and when working deeper diving baits the extra torque they produce is also nice.

Fortunately, there are many rods in the 100 dollar price range that have good build quality and offer technique specific rods. Some that I have tried are the Abu Vendetta and Veritas, the St.Croix Premier and Mojo, the Carrot Stix PG and Wild. Falcon makes a nice rod in this price range also, it is the Bucoo line, in my opinion they are the best bang for the buck rods in this group.

If you are looking for a crankbait rod, take a look at rods that are as close to 7 ft or even over that you are comfortable with, power is usually determined by the size of bait that you are going to be using and something in a med. to MH should work great. Action, many anglers throw their cranks on moderate action rods, the belief is the softer tip allows the fish to hold the bait in its mouth slightly longer and also the flex of the softer tip will not rip out smaller treble type hooks on the hookset.

Anyway, hope you find a combo that works for you.
Old 01-09-12, 11:53 AM   #3
WatterBoy

Great info and very helpful! Thanks, Tony.
Old 01-09-12, 04:53 PM   #4
rrw4258

Like Tony said, the BPS Pro Qualifier is a heck of a reel for the price, and the dual brakes are a proven winner. If you can still find a right handed carbonlite reel, they are a steal at the $89 clearance price.

Ryan
Old 01-09-12, 07:28 PM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

My brothers first casting reel was a Pro Qualifier and he has had no trouble with back lashes. He loves that reel!!!
Old 01-09-12, 08:06 PM   #6
Jrob78

I think Tony steered you in the right direction. In my experience, cheap reels end up costing more in the long run because they have to be replaced more often and you're never satisfied with their performance. The dual brake reels are very user friendly for beginners, I will put a 4th vote toward the PQ. Also, don't forget about Ebay, you can find a lot of good deals on new reels priced way below retail.

St Croix just recently came out with Glass Mojo cranking sticks. They are in the low $100's and would be a great choice for a cranking rod. I am personally partial to glass and if you plan on using it solely for cranks, I don't think you would be sorry.
Old 01-11-12, 10:16 AM   #7
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

A quality reel will make learning less frustrating. If you can push you budget into the $100 range you'll have several good options. The PQ is a good reel, a Shimano citica or clearance Curado even better. IMO, I'd avoid mag only brakes to learn on. A centrifugal brake system like Shimano uses is very user friendly. Learn to setup the reel correctly, match it with a rod suitable to cast the weight of the bait and start slow.
Old 02-19-12, 01:51 PM   #8
WatterBoy

Hey guys, I am looking very seriously at the Revo SX casting reel, specifically the left-handed one with a 6.4:1 gear ratio and an IPT of 27.5 I have a $20 off coupon at Cabela's and can also get a $30 rebate on it, so my cost would be $119.99. I am used to reeling left-handed from all the spinning reel fishing I do, so that's why I'm leaning towards the left-handed reel here. Is that a bad idea for any reason? Also, if I try to throw DT16 cranks with a reel like this, will it be too difficult? That's probably not a deal-breaker, just wondering how hard it is with a 6:4:1 rather something in the 5.x:1 line.

If I get a reel like this, any thoughts or advice on a good quality rod to pair it with?

Thanks for all thoughts and replies!

Dean
Old 02-19-12, 02:16 PM   #9
Rebbasser

Dean-
Before you buy it I cannot recommend strongly enough to go somewhere that sells reels and handle a few. That way you will know if it feels right to you. I reel spinning rods with my left but baitcasters with my right and have no problem switching between the two.

One thing I would also recommend if you are throwing big crankbaits: Use a low gear ratio reel. I use a 4.7:1 Pro Qualifier for big bruisers like a DD-22 or a Strike King Series 5. The lower GR has more winching action and is MUCH easier to reel those big baits in. With a 6.3:1 or higher GR I am good for about 5 casts and them am crapped out. I can throw them on the low GR reel all day.

Any of the BPS reels are good. I have several, both Extremes and Pro Qualifiers and highly recommend them.

For rods, same advice: Handle a few before you buy one to see if it feels right. If you are using treble hooks-cranks, topwaters, hard swimbaits,etc.-go with a medium action. They have more give to them and the hooks are less likely to tear out. Also, I don't like to use braid for treble hook baits. Mono has some stretch to it so acts as a shock absorber with less chance to tear the hooks out.
Old 02-19-12, 02:44 PM   #10
WatterBoy

Thanks for all the great feedback, Reb! I live less than 4 miles from a Cabela's, so I will definitely go out there and mess around with reels before buying one. I don't throw cranks that much, but would like to do so a bit more often this year. I'd say 95% of the time when I am throwing them, it is with lipless or square-bills in 10' depths or less. I started using a baitcaster just a small amount of the time last year and didn't really like the right-handed reeling, but maybe I just need to fish the baitcaster more often and get used to it.

I will definitely have mono on this reel and will use it almost exclusively for cranks and maybe some spinnerbaits and a little bit of topwater.
Old 02-19-12, 03:05 PM   #11
Jrob78

I would definitely stick with a LH reel, keep it like your spinning reels. That will also keep the rod in your dominant hand (assuming you're right handed). For mostly shallow cranking, I think you would be ok with a reel in the 6's. Deeper and bigger baits would be easier to fish on a slower gear ratio. The cranking reels I have experience with are the Curado E5, the Revo Winch and the BPS PQ. I would feel comfortable recommending any of them. You can get the Curado 200E5 for $134 at OhYa, I have 2 of them and like them very much.

As for rods, I would take a look at the St. Croix Mojo Glass Cranking rods, the 7'4" medium should be perfect for what you are wanting to do. I really prefer fishing glass rods for crankbaits. These rods don't break the bank, would allow you to fish a wide variety of baits and make really long casts.
Old 02-19-12, 03:07 PM   #12
WatterBoy

More good stuff. Thanks, Joe!
Old 02-25-12, 12:39 AM   #13
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

Check out the progidy 1/4 - 1 oz MH 7' with the soft tip. I love it for crankbaits and 3.5" shadalicious swimbaits, or anything with treble hooks. It is a great rod. They sell for about $100, but I got mine on sale for $60. Also, if you can get past the appearance, Cabelas has their "Camo Sticks" on sale for $50. The MH has a very nice action. Also, a good cranking reel is the older Carbon Black, which is on sale next weekend at Bass Pro for $70. You can't really go wrong with a reel over the $80 range. For throwing square bills and lipless crankbaits, a 6:1 ratio is a good compromise. Those types of crankbaits are generally worked faster than traditional deep cranks. Hope you find something good, BFK
bassfishkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-12, 11:27 AM   #14
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfishkansas View Post
Check out the progidy 1/4 - 1 oz MH 7' with the soft tip. I love it for crankbaits and 3.5" shadalicious swimbaits, or anything with treble hooks. It is a great rod. They sell for about $100, but I got mine on sale for $60. Also, if you can get past the appearance, Cabelas has their "Camo Sticks" on sale for $50. The MH has a very nice action. Also, a good cranking reel is the older Carbon Black, which is on sale next weekend at Bass Pro for $70. You can't really go wrong with a reel over the $80 range. For throwing square bills and lipless crankbaits, a 6:1 ratio is a good compromise. Those types of crankbaits are generally worked faster than traditional deep cranks. Hope you find something good, BFK
Unless they're still selling them in store as well, you'd be stuck with a pink rod.
That's all they have at their website. The non pink ones sold out a few weeks ago
Old 02-25-12, 03:05 PM   #15
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

There's nothing wrong with a pink rod.
bassfishkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-12, 05:28 PM   #16
boloson

yes stick to the lefties. beginning baitcasting is difficult enough as it is without being confused on which hand to crank with. personally i dont understand on how a right handed person can crank with their right hand on a baitcaster but then again i've never tried. want to try but not willing to buy 1 just to try. that sx is a great reel. try looking on ebay for cheaper price or even used ones on some forums
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-12, 05:48 PM   #17
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfishkansas View Post
There's nothing wrong with a pink rod.

Not if you're kevin Short
Old 02-25-12, 05:50 PM   #18
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by boloson View Post
yes stick to the lefties. beginning baitcasting is difficult enough as it is without being confused on which hand to crank with. personally i dont understand on how a right handed person can crank with their right hand on a baitcaster but then again i've never tried. want to try but not willing to buy 1 just to try. that sx is a great reel. try looking on ebay for cheaper price or even used ones on some forums

A lot of people were forced to learn to reel with their right.
It's my understanding that for quite some time, that's the only way it was offered.
There's still some reels that aren't offered in a lefty
Old 02-25-12, 07:45 PM   #19
bassinbob

Quote:
You know this is funny to me because when I started to use baitcasters I used righties. It felt natural to me even though i cranked spinning reels for 40 some years with the handle on the left. I now have 3 lefties to go along with mostly righties. The lefties are mainly for topwater baits like buzzbaits and some frogs. When I cast a rightie the switch is done usually before the bait hits the water.
Old 02-25-12, 09:50 PM   #20
bcklash

Spinning reels--LH only.
Baitcasting reels-both.
Texas rigs, jigs and walking baits I use a LH baitcaster.
Crankbaits and spinnerbaits I use a RH baitcaster.
Old 02-25-12, 10:13 PM   #21
Tavery5

Fish what feels right to you and forget all the BS about which hand is for what, if your not comfortable with the rod and reel it is not going to be an enjoyable experience.

I have tried it some both ways, and I still have yet to see anyone who can prove to me one hand offers any advantage over the other.
Old 02-25-12, 10:27 PM   #22
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
A lot of people were forced to learn to reel with their right.
It's my understanding that for quite some time, that's the only way it was offered.
There's still some reels that aren't offered in a lefty
yea i noticed this. i'm still cursing some manufacturers for not making left handed BC's like the MGX for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
You know this is funny to me because when I started to use baitcasters I used righties. It felt natural to me even though i cranked spinning reels for 40 some years with the handle on the left. I now have 3 lefties to go along with mostly righties. The lefties are mainly for topwater baits like buzzbaits and some frogs. When I cast a rightie the switch is done usually before the bait hits the water.
how do u switch hands mid cast? u dont birdnest doing this? i've had reaction strikes as soon as the lure hits the water. wouldnt switching hands cause a miss hookset or even worse... rod & reel into the lake?

i have to try this righty thing.
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-12, 11:29 PM   #23
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
yea i noticed this. i'm still cursing some manufacturers for not making left handed BC's like the MGX for example.
You can get a JDM lefty MGX.

Your welcome,

BB
Old 02-26-12, 08:57 AM   #24
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Fish what feels right to you and forget all the BS about which hand is for what, if your not comfortable with the rod and reel it is not going to be an enjoyable experience.

I have tried it some both ways, and I still have yet to see anyone who can prove to me one hand offers any advantage over the other.
I agree 100%. I am RH and the reason I use LH reels for Worms, jigs and walking baits is I have more confidence working a bait with my right hand.
Old 02-26-12, 12:34 PM   #25
bassinbob

boloson I do this on mainly long casts. No I do not get birdsnests doing this. One day I just tried doing it and it worked. I first tried it throwing buzzbaits so I could start the retrieve as soon as the bait hit the water. Now if I don't have a leftie reel with me I will cast and switch. It's not an inconvenience to me.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.