Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-12, 10:34 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default A little photography help.

I know several guys on here like Anthony, Bryce and others take some nice pictures - nice is an understatement - but I have a question you photo guys could help me with. Keep in mind that I'm only using a P&S digital at the moment.

I purchased a photo box for taking close ups of lures and such to post on the internet. My pictures suck, so I'm hoping this box helps make my photos clearer and better shows colors. Again I'm doing this on the cheap, as photography isn't my bag, so I bought a "kit" with a 20" portable, fabric box, 2 lights, small tripod and backgrounds.

The question: what is the best way to position the lights? Shooting through the fabic, I'm guessing, but do I aim the light at the subject or aim the lights away from the subject and bouce it off the top? Light from above? If you look at the pics I posted regarding selling some blade jigs - that's the type of pic I want to set up, but I want to get them brighter and sharper.

Any advice is appreciated that will at least get me started in the right direction.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-12, 03:45 AM   #2
Bender

I have one of those boxes, but I have only tried it once. I think that you can move the lights around to find the best angle on the subject. The box can create a bight, even light. That should cut down on any glare as well as cutting back on shadows. Are you using a tripod? One thing that can help if you are is to set the camera to use the auto timer so that it doesn't shake when you press the button. I hope Anthony chimes in, he has done some really great product photos.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-12, 06:57 AM   #3
lilmule

Use cheap camera post to photo bucket then edit if needed autofix.
I do better on outside pics than in due to lighting,than on lures.

But thought i caught the starting to get rusty hooks quite well.
Subject is a rather large big o.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-12, 07:22 AM   #4
MrMakk
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My camera is a basic, Fuji AV200 I got for £50, it takes nice pictures,

but I also use the Photobucket as it helps with improving if a picture is not as expected.
Old 03-11-12, 09:02 AM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've got a DIY ghetto lightbox what I use with three clamp lights.

They go outside the box so the fabric diffuses the light to create soft shadows. I use one straight down on my subject, and one to each side and slightly forward.

Play around with the lighting and see what looks best.

For camera settings, you want as much control as possible. For my product photography, I shoot in manual, controlling all of my settings. Aperture should be around f/8 to increase depth of field, and I set my shutter speed slow enough to give me a slightly overexposed background (+2/3 EV). I don't know how much your P&S will let you control this stuff though; some do, some don't.

Lucky Craft Crankbait by PhotoRebel4, on Flickr

XCalibur Jimmy by PhotoRebel4, on Flickr

Elite Series Football Jigs by PhotoRebel4, on Flickr

BB
Old 03-11-12, 10:00 AM   #6
bassboogieman

Quote:
They go outside the box so the fabric diffuses the light to create soft shadows. I use one straight down on my subject, and one to each side and slightly forward.
That's what I was looking for.

Anthony your pictures are, well as good as I've seen from professionals in catalogs. Just awesome stuff, especailly from a young man. I have some setting on both my P&S for various picture types but they are not marked as apature settings. I used an SLR film camera so I understand the use, but I don't take enough pics to invest in a digital SLR, the P&S suits my basic need for pictures while fishing, family events, etc.

Bender, the delayed setting is an excellent tip, I have a couple small table top tripods, and I probably would not have thought of that one.

Thanks everyone for responding.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.