Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-06, 05:56 PM   #1
Christopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Islamorada 5/25 - 5/28

Just copying and pasting my report from another site but here it is, ENJOY!

Left on Wednesday after some trailer light problems (on tow vehicle) > Looking up as we leave we got to see the rocket launch!

Got to Florida City for the night around midnight. Left Thursday morning to head south into the Keys. Stopped at Worldwide Sportsman for some loop protectors and found this too!!

Make your own Umbrella/dredge rig. (will post pics once I get 'er rigged up) We then proceeded down the road towards the ramp. Headed offshore about 1000 or 1100 hrs.. Headed to the Islamorada hump. Set lines out and see a 'phin swim by the boat but no spinner ready since we took apart the rods and reels for travel down and hadn't rigged it up yet. About 20 to 30 minutes later the starboard outrigger goes off and I'm up. I pull in my first 'phin for me and Fish-U-Were-Here!!! Came on a homemade all black squid skirt. Weighing at a whoping 4.25 pounds!

Ahh, first blood!!

We then proceeded on and no more for the day but watch as a storm develops over us. It turns cold and windy. We decided to pull lines and head offshore. It then passes us. As we run towards shore we see the squall line on Radar!!! Sweet just what we wanted her for. But get slammed by the time we are about 1 to 2 miles from shore. What a time it was trying to get the boat on the trailer in 20+ knot winds and driving rain. Then to get the boat out of the water at low tide and a dirt ramp. Gotta find another ramp!!
We then went to the hotel to clean up and get ready for the next day.
Friday we then head North to a county park with a marina that has a ramp. We there found the "Key's Time," the dockmaster was late. We then decided that we should go get some ballyhoo anyways before we launch. We run up to Islamorada Outfitters (great guys there) and get some "fresh ballyhoo" at $0.70 a piece, some menhaden chum, and some ice.
We get back to the ramp and launch with no problems. Head to the channel and then to Crocker reef. Started a chum line with the menhaden chum and oatmeal and watch the sealife flock to us from yellowtail snapper to ballyhoo!! We set up to catch some snapper and ballyhoo. The snappers were some fun drag screaming action!!! And got 6 ballyhoo to bite on a sabiki rig.

We then again proceeded to the Islamorada hump for another shot at some dolphin. We set out lines a mile from the hump. Had our first hits about 30 minutes later with 2 peanuts jumping into the spread. Me and Dad got them. Only 18 inches, back they went to grow. About 10 minutes later we get another peanut same size. Then about 5 more minutes later another peanut, Little man Nick reeled him in!

We then continued trolling for the rest of the day. Around 1400 hrs. this 5 lb. bull hits a blue and white Illander hoola hood.

We troll for about another hour and call it a day since we had to go to Miami to pick up Mom!!
We then set out to troll on Saturday with Mom aboard. We decided to head deep in hopes of some bigger dolphin, so we headed to the 409 hump. But we guessed wrong only landing a cuda. We troll around this area till about 1100 then we pick up and head back to the Islamorada hump. On the way there we see a sailfish free jumping chasing bait. We decided to drop lines here since it looked fishy. But to no luck. we then pickup again and headed to the Islamorada hump. We trolled till 1300 hrs. with no more luck. We then headed back to crocker reef for some more yellowtail action for mom and the little ones. Nick (6 yr. old) catches most of the yellowtails outfishing all of us. Momma catches a "Dr. Fish"!

And I catch some more ballyhoo and a "hound fish"

which we saved in hopes of using as a trolling bait. We then proceeded to the ramp. After pulling out we cleaned the catch of the past few days.

I'm working on my filet and release too!!!

Dad at work on the yellowtails!
As all of this was happening we got to watch the drunks try to load their boats but instead tearing them up, slipping and falling on the wet ramp, tearing off guide posts, forget to lock the winch, etc.. ;D
Sunday was a non-fishing day but to check out the Keys. We stopped at the Famous Robbies to feed the tarpon the bait and to tease them into striking our hands. Ahh would I have loved to have a pole then!!!! ;D

We then proceeded South to Key West and MM 0

Beautiful Key West Harbor Entrance

We then headed back and tried our hand at some tarpon fishing that night with no luck. :-[
And proceeded home today. With some fresh ballyhoo.
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-06, 11:15 PM   #2
Rodman_Rob

some nice pics there, looks like yall enjoyed yourself. hooking into some maui maui sure is fun. last time I was in the keys (years ago) we got into a few different schools, coulda pulled the whole school up if it weren't for the sharks crashing the party everytime we pulled a few fish from a school.
Old 06-06-06, 10:15 AM   #3
flbassman

NIce trip. Them dolphin sure are fun.
Old 06-06-06, 07:15 PM   #4
Christopherkeene9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbassman
NIce trip. Them dolphin sure are fun.
And Good eatin'
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-06, 09:20 PM   #5
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Sounds like a blast, great pics thanks.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.