Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-07, 01:20 PM   #1
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Cool story

I took my 4 year old boy to my dad's pond the other day to see if he could catch another bass. I gave him a 3X Fluke (to keep it near the top in the grass) to use this time. On his first cast he had a big bass come up and take it near the bank. He wrestled with him for a short while and it came off. I was bumming cause it was a good one. Next cast he made... another fish hammered it and he had it halfway in then it came undone. It was killing me cause I really wanted him to catch the fish by himself.
Well after a while of no bites I found a small frog by the driveway. I threw it out into the pond and told Jake to watch and see what happens. Sure enough... before the frog gets back to the bank a huge bass comes up and smokes it. I quickly casted Jakes Fluke at the boil and smack... that bass hit the Fluke. I help Jake set the hook and DANG IT the line broke instantly. I quickly tossed my Bronze Eye frog in the same spot and to my surprise the bass came up and hit the frog. I caught him that time and got him in. It probably weighed close to 6 lbs. I wanted Jake to reel it in but he wouldn't. Last time he hooked a bass he wanted me to reel it in and I told him it was his fish and he had to reel it in. So now if I hook one he says you made me reel in my fish so you reel in your own. LOL He's hilarious! Just thought I'd share our little fishing adventure.

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-07, 02:11 PM   #2
bassbooger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

That had to be some killer action. I would have loved to have seen that frog get smacked.

Memories like that will last in that boys mind forever!!!
Old 06-29-07, 05:32 PM   #3
ToPwAt'R GuY

That's awesome man. Taking a kid fishing is a gift many don't understand.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-07, 08:42 PM   #4
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thanks for bringing him up right.

Lizards
Old 06-30-07, 11:00 AM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thats a great story. Don't really matter right now if he's able to hook and land his bass on his own. That will come as he gets older. But for now, your doing everything right! It's great your leading him down the right path.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 11:18 AM   #6
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

some days are like that.....its great that you are making sure our sport is around in the future!
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 09:15 AM   #7
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

sounds like a good time i took my 10 month old fishing with me for the first time. he sat in his stroller while his daddy blanked from the bank lol. he was watching the damn gypsy moths fly around lol.
Old 07-02-07, 12:22 PM   #8
BassAddict

Thanks guys! Jake absolutely loves to go fishing. I think he enjoys seeing how far he can cast more than actually catching a fish. LOL He caught his first fish (Crappie) all by himself last summer when he was 3. My daughter likes to fish too but not as much as Jake. She's 7 now and has caught a few bass. Here are a couple pics of them at my dad's pond. I've probably posted these pics before but I'm pretty proud of my kids!

Eric
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Grinnel006.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...e/DCP_0030.jpg
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 01:26 PM   #9
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

sounds awesome! A story to remember indeed... although the snapping line and lure coming undone is pretty unlucky.
Old 07-02-07, 07:12 PM   #10
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

I'd love to fish that pond haha. And that is deffinitely an awesome fishing experience. i'm glad i got into fishing, its a life saver aha.
Old 07-02-07, 08:04 PM   #11
Rodman_Rob

good story, can't wait to teach have some of my own to teach the finer things in life........like how easy and joyous it is to tie a palomar with power pro.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.