Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-13, 09:38 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Keith, here is my take on Dale Hollow.

It is very deep, cool and clear (usually).

It is exceptionally unpolluted, as there is no industry and very little farming upstream.

Vegetation is pretty limited, as it has very little in the way of shallows. However, since it is so clear, there is some extra deep grass in certain areas. The upstream end of the lake tends to have more vegetation, as is common with most lakes, since it is by definition shallower.

Brown and green fish are both in abundance, and for the most part either will take all of the same presentations. Though there might be somewhat of a seasonal slant; i.e. the largemouth are still in a pre-spawn feast while the smallies are stuck on the beds, and the smallies are probably feeding more when the largemouth are doing their thing.

I too really want to hit it in the fall, though like I said, "the shallows" means something different at Dale Hollow. More like, "right up against the cliffs".
Old 05-21-13, 09:49 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Keith, here is my take on Dale Hollow.

It is very deep, cool and clear (usually).

It is exceptionally unpolluted, as there is no industry and very little farming upstream.

Vegetation is pretty limited, as it has very little in the way of shallows. However, since it is so clear, there is some extra deep grass in certain areas. The upstream end of the lake tends to have more vegetation, as is common with most lakes, since it is by definition shallower.

Brown and green fish are both in abundance, and for the most part either will take all of the same presentations. Though there might be somewhat of a seasonal slant; i.e. the largemouth are still in a pre-spawn feast while the smallies are stuck on the beds, and the smallies are probably feeding more when the largemouth are doing their thing.

I too really want to hit it in the fall, though like I said, "the shallows" means something different at Dale Hollow. More like, "right up against the cliffs".
It sounds like if you can find a deep water hump or rock pile, you could get into a good haul using proper presentation, such as jigging spoons, deep diving suspending jerk baits and crank baits, jig-n-grub combos, and so on.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.