Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-12, 02:31 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Ok as you've heard opening is here

Nice fish and pics Sam.
It's great to see you sharing your passion with your friend!

Ok just to be forwarned...this is too long and you won't learn a thing!

So as I said in Kieths post weather looked challenging, cold windy ect. but opening day is a Holiday here in Wisconsin and except for the fourth of July I think the weather is cold and windy for every Wisconsin Holiday,look at Turkey and Deer and Duck opening days...Fish opener, deer opener, turkey opener, duck opener, 4th of July I think I got all celebrated Wisconsin Holidays covered. (Sam's from Florida, must of brought that Christmas nonsense North with him ). Anyway I get up like 4 in the morning and naturally go straight for the weather on my computer. Instead of 48 it was 62, instead of 15- 20 mile winds there was 5. Wow the excitement builds! Day breaks at 5, halfhour drive best get going. Now I'm not a procrastenater simply because I know I'll have time later when I'm not so busy to profect that skill but anyway I got to load the car, make sandwiches (I have to carry food due to my blessing), check bloods bang up and I'm on the road. Ya in hindsite I probably could of maybe done this the night before...again you know how busy I am? Put the neoprenes on, turtle neck shirt and sweater and goosedown liner that I had smartly laid out the night before after I heard how cold and windy it was going to be. Imagine...the only thing that possibly could be a varible for the next day is the WEATHER and thats the only thing I prepared the night before...see non-procrastnater. I'm packed, pricked and dressed for a snowstorm. Anticipation builds!

FLUKE! My kid called me the night before and wanted me to let his dogs out. I knew there was a reason I got up at 4 instead of 4:30.DANG!
Anyway I do the dog thing and remembered I left the new camera home. Oh, I'm now sweating my..... off do to my dilagent planing of my wardrobe and debating if I should dress down alittle. I don't, birds are chirping....Joe your a putz...a putz...putz putz putz. (Fluking birds) I'm now in rush mode and nothing is going to slow me down. I'm on the road and congradulating myself on really making pretty good time on my unforeseen tasks. It's now 5:45, 15 minutes left to drive and I'm fishing!
Oopps...my breakfast is on the counter. I don't work well in rush mode.
Now this part is embarrassing but I actually had to debate with myself of the pros and cons of skipping breakfast....ya the birds are singing again.
No problem, I made sandwiches. I can eat a sandwich when I unload the poles and stuff.
Get to site. Get three poles out, eat and grab a water out of cooler to finish the meal.
Oopps, I froze the water to save space and not pack cubes. I'm now dying of thirst. Oh well. Pack the water in waders and stick the camera in a wader pocket and I'm off to wade the creek 1/2 mile to get to lake. Water flows not too bad but being so small and lite I have to really be cautious when I pick up a foot to step ahead. Anyways make the trek and get to the lake and there are SEVEN bass boats already there working the shores. In case anyones curious, 5 of the boats were Rangers and one was a Phoenix. (think the money doesn't flow on this lake? thats what the creek walk is about, all Condo property...no Condos, they just bought up the shoreland ...just incase. Hence it's all POSTED no trespassing)
So big deal. Any shorebuster knows, boaters can be real inconsiderit but rarely stick around long.
Throw a jig by the dam, small one trof 10 feet wide dam, to kill alittle time and wait for a boat break.
Nothing, but only wasted 15 min.
Boat break and I'm Texas worming. Water is clear but little to none new weed growth. Saw some beds but absolutely NO bass on beds and NO bait fish to be found, not even sunnies. The beds really didn't look that clean so I'm thinking they are last years beds. Around here the beds are recleaned and reused year to year.
Saw three boaters catch fish and finally...15 mins. I get a tap, tap tap set and I'm FISHING!
19 in. smallie, maybe 3 pounds. I'M HAPPY! Another year before I have to fish Illinois again! Out comes camera, remember I'm wading....sure sh** if I don't drop it in the water. (rememember the want list from the camera post) I now have a 19 in smallie in one hand, a 7ft pole stuck in the top of my waters and I'm making a mad reach for the camera with my right before the camera hits bottom and gets buried in the bottom. ( Oh I should mention the float lanyard a got with the camera is sitting next to my breakfast on the counter ) Caught the camera, dropped the fish and got a 3 boat applause!
What a way to start a season!
Camera went to the shore and it stayed peacefully resting next to the other poles. Caught 14, nine of which were smallies.
HAD A BLAST!
Wind picks up to 15 miles constant and gusts of 20 coming out of the northeast now. Mist started and off to home I go.

See I told you, you wouldn't learn a thing!

Went next day caught 5 but only fished two hrs. before downpoured.
Fished this afternoon, the creek was a torrent, got 3 inches of rain yesterday. Didn't walk it but used the road, screw the condo foundation. Caught 4 but these were all on the large size, 17-20 inchers.
Getting dark and there was a nine year old little girl sunny fishing with her dad. The little girl had seen me catch the smallies and they were all jumpers, which happens frequently when wading. She wandered over to me when I was coming out of the water and kind of just stood and looked at me, think she was too shy to talk to me. So I asked if if she would do me a favor. She said OK. So we went over to her dad and I asked him permission, and I hitched a plastic wacky and tossed it like 15 yards in front of dam letting in float back to dam. Dad joined us and he and I got talking. I told the girl that if anything bit I needed her to reel it in due to me having a bad shoulder, that was my favor I needed.
Took like 15 min. but finally a bite, I actually didn't even know, I was just pulling the line in so the dam wouldn't eat it, once got slack out (wasn't much) felt a slight tap, set and handed Amanda the pole. It was a real fighter but no jump for her, darn. She really did a nice job. They were fishing the dam so I had to like lye down to reach and retrieve the bass....21 inches, 5lbs 8ozs. Amanda had just made me the Happiest Fisherman on the lake! To see her reeling in and hearing drag go out and seeing her SMILE, WOW!
Lucky I had my camera safely sitting on the FRONT SEAT of MY CAR.....anyone hear the birds singing again?

Thank you for letting me waste your time and I hope everyone's season is a great one, thanks to Amanda, I'm sure mine will be great. Sorry folks but big fish in little hands always gives me a joy that I can't get anywhere else.
Old 05-08-12, 04:45 PM   #2
MississippiBoy

Great story, Joe. I love the part about asking little Amanda for a favor...that's great.
Old 05-08-12, 05:23 PM   #3
WatterBoy

Love all the details in your story, Joe. Thanks for sharing. What you did for little Amanda was VERY COOL! I'm sure her dad enjoyed watching her reel in that HAWG also. Excellent move on your part! I can relate to that a bit with many family and friends we have fishing with us up at our cabin every year...for some of them it's the first fish they've ever caught -- fun stuff!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 05:27 PM   #4
nobass

good read i also liked the little girl part makes it all worth it
Old 05-08-12, 06:22 PM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I realy enjoyed every word of your story Joe. And I am sure Amandas dad really appreciated your generosity. Amanda will never forget that day or you. Well done man!
Old 05-08-12, 07:53 PM   #6
joedog

Glad you folks enjoyed, I certainly did.

The father saw me walking the road when he was driving home from work.
As usual I had to give him a hard time about his quick turn around, getting back to fish. ( I don't know the guy, a complete stranger )Said Amanda was at the door waiting and wishing to go fishing.
I also made the comment to the father about him probably being the only Wisconsin native living in the condos. He said no there are probably a dozen others. There are 100 condos in this one complex. Another complex of 150 right next to it. These are luxury condos, 2 bedroom for like a quarter million, these are not waterfronts. The waterfronts start at $750000. Wow, how many folks you know that would like a million dollar summer home, crazy huh? Most are used like 4 months a year.
And the father at least had his cell and took a couple of pics. Oh and a had Amanda wear my polaroids while she fished and the release.The water was very clear considering we were in front of the dam.
Ya I know you guys tried to tell me to just use a cell. I have to learn to stay out of my own way.

Hey you folks have the very best week you possible can! And please try to get out and do a little waterside meditation! (fishing)

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.