Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-08, 12:50 PM   #1
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default When does it become a problem?

Our new member Sinjim Kim made mention of the fishing obsession. I once couldn't pay rent because I spent all my paycheck on tackle. Luckily a friend bought some lures from me that I didn't use and loaned me the rest.

Should I see a psychiatrist? Do I want to lose the obsession?

I go to A.A. and when I make mention of the fact that fishing is my new addiction everyone thinks it's ok, that it's a healthy one.

Sometimes I wonder.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-09-08, 01:06 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

3rd year i was married some guys called for a trip to dale hollow lake bout 2 days before thanksgiving, i went and still havent heard the last of it 27 years later LOL
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 02:36 PM   #3
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Were all normal here!!! Itz Society thatz not normal. Can you imagine people going through life with out actully fishing. Thatz the real sickness. Fishermen are special people. Even in the bible fishermen had played a bigger role doing GOD's work. Than others did. Your thinking is all wrong!!! Take the BAITMONKEY on a date. So you can grow closer!!!
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 02:39 PM   #4
Raul

When you spend your money in tackle and you canīt pay your duties and obligations then you do have a problem, the problem of the problem is admitting you have the problem ( lotz of problems in that sentence ).

I know purchasing tackle can become an obsession, thereīs so much out there waiting for you to purchase, everything looks cool, you want to have everything, but waht you donīt do in order to get it is to calculate the hidden cost behind it ( like not paying the rent in time ).

In a world of imediate self gratification where everything is just a click away patience is the hardest thing to cultivate. Not taking a little time to sit down, relax and chill out, to think in depth before you move and if moving into is a shure way to get into trubble.

Cīmon, you donīt really need that bag of worms like right here right now do you ?

Iīve got more tackle than you can imagine, literally thousands of dollars in baits, but for starters I didnīt purchase them all at once ( been purchasing tackle for many years ) and secondly, 90% of them have never touched the water. If I knew then what I know now when I began the spree I would have a lot less baits, I can still go and catch fish with a few selected lures and that is what usually happens, at the end of the day I look with what I caught the fish and find out that I didnīt need 600+ cranks, 100 + spinnerbaits and 50 pounds of soft plastics and jigs.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 03:21 PM   #5
MIbasser

I have a problem.... Opps, my bad.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 07:46 PM   #6
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

As a serious answer, yes, sometimes I believe I should quit or at least slow down, but I don't want to admit to myself that I actually will.

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 07:54 PM   #7
Rebbasser

I'm with Moose-we may be obsessed, but at least we are doing something rather than sitting on our butts watching a reality show about who can lay the biggest turd.
Old 04-09-08, 07:58 PM   #8
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
...at least we are doing something rather than sitting on our butts watching a reality show about who can lay the biggest turd.
But that would come in a close second!

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 08:55 PM   #9
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The real insanity is what we dont do with 80% of what we purchase. Thats catch fish. When you really analize it seaonally you have a 1/2 dozen baits that you catch fish with. The rest are decoration.
Fish2win
Old 04-09-08, 09:05 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If I look at a couple of my choices:

1. Spend all my money on fishing stuff, and never be able to afford anything. Atleast I could live out of my truck and boat. and eat the fish I catch.
2. Become a drug addict and spend all my money on drugs, and never be able to do anything without drugs, and not be able to pay rent or buy a house, and live on the street in a box which is probably not big enough to hold any fishing rods, and not have a car, or anything.

I'd have to go with number one here. If you think you have a problem, just do what i do: Think about a different, much worse, problem you could have that makes the original problem, not so bad.

BB

P.S. Yes, this is my twisted way of thinking.
Old 04-09-08, 09:06 PM   #11
BigBassin144

I forgot to mention a few more perks about both choices:

1. Grow old fishing, and fish till I die.
2. Die form a drug overdose.

Number one is till looking pretty good, eh?

BB
Old 04-09-08, 10:40 PM   #12
bassinbob

My problem is everytime a new frog bait comes out I gotta have it. But I figure since I don't drink or smoke that's about $50 to $100 dollars a week I can spend on fishing. Trouble is sometimes I spend the whole months worth in one trip. I always tell myself-one more lure-one more rod. It never ends. I love it. I'm 55 and have no wife or kids at home. When I kick the bucket my daughter can sell all the fishing stuff.
Old 04-09-08, 11:40 PM   #13
Bender

I quit smoking a little over a year ago and that makes a good chunk of my boat payment. I also quit drinking 5 weeks ago, so logically I can spend a lot of money on fishing this year. I just need to get a job and then my plan will really come together.
Doesn't that make sense?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-08, 01:00 AM   #14
Rebbasser

Yep, Bender, it does.
Old 04-10-08, 08:49 AM   #15
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

Has anyone ever called in sick because you knew they were biting? Or just quit working altogether (without having a sponsor to fish pro or semi-pro)?

It's not just about the money spent on tackle, but the time spent fishing, thinking about fishing, and posting messages on this and other sites about fishing.

I love it. I don't get in any trouble from the little woman. But I think it's a form of obsessive/compulsive disorder.

Anyway, it's 37 degrees and raining, I've got to go wet a few lines.
Old 04-10-08, 09:31 AM   #16
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Krueger, Jr. View Post
Has anyone ever called in sick because you knew they were biting? Or just quit working altogether (without having a sponsor to fish pro or semi-pro)?
I went on the road with very little money & i did it for 3yrs. I eventully had a little somthing with Rapala. But that was just some free crankbaits. I believe all i got to be exact. Was about 2 dozen Shad Raps. I never got money from them. A real fishermen becomes what he does. It should take over ones life. The best fishermen thinks like a fish. You need the gear to do that. Yeahh i'm caught up in the swimbait craze. But for me the sassy shad has bean a confidence bait since 1991. What has changed now are the so many new presentations at my disposale. Only strengthing my believe in swimbaits. Bigger lures bigger fish.
Old 04-10-08, 12:10 PM   #17
jasonfish320

Wow! This thread really hit home...just last night my fiance caught me going through all my new tackle I bought this winter and organizing everything for the upcoming season...she was serious as can be when she asked "why aren't you as obsessed with me as you are with fishing?"..how do you answer that?! OUCH!!
Old 04-10-08, 12:24 PM   #18
Fish2win

"why aren't you as obsessed with me as you are with fishing?"..how do you answer that?! OUCH!!
Thats a very hard line question. The answer has to be completely honest. I have seen fishing destroy several peoples marrages over the years. It is very hard for a non-fishing partner to understand. 25 years ao when my wife and i had been dating for about a year a similar question came up. I fished every availible day that I had away from work. One Sunday I came home and she was there cooking dinner for the two of us. I went into the kitchen and after greeting her she asked me the question. " I now you love fishingh,but do you have to fish everyday that you have off work/" I thought for a minuet then tyook her in the den. Sat her in a nice chair and made this reply" I hacve been fishing for 25 years" i was in my 30's at the time. " I have known you a little less than a year" I think you are leading up to a statement that will end in an ultimatum, If that is the case you are not going to like my answer" Having said that I walked out of the room and took a shower. That subject has never been breaced again and we will; be married 20 year in July. Fishing has never been a problem because she was shown how important it is to me in the beginning . Think about the answer then be honest with both yourself and her. If she stays on the correct terms your relationship will be great.
The answer is inside you. Just seek it out. Fish2win
Old 04-10-08, 01:24 PM   #19
Preacher
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Preacher

Shucks,...I must really have it made. All I hear is have fun,...see ya when ya get back!!
Old 04-10-08, 02:03 PM   #20
MississippiBoy

It's been said before, but I'll say it again.

Wake up at 4 a.m., roll over and tap your wife on the shoulder. When she wakes up a little, say "We have sex or I go fishing. Pick one."

Her response? "Don't forget the sunscreen."
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-08, 02:19 PM   #21
Lilmoosecountry

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfish320 View Post
Wow! This thread really hit home...just last night my fiance caught me going through all my new tackle I bought this winter and organizing everything for the upcoming season...she was serious as can be when she asked "why aren't you as obsessed with me as you are with fishing?"..how do you answer that?! OUCH!!
3babies in 10 yrs of marriage. Sex just is'nt my thing. I love fishing it's all i've known all my life. I feal like the Father from (Married with Children) Al Bundy. When i'm homethe only time anybody wants anything from me. Is when they want my money.
Old 04-10-08, 03:48 PM   #22
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
It's been said before, but I'll say it again.

Wake up at 4 a.m., roll over and tap your wife on the shoulder. When she wakes up a little, say "We have sex or I go fishing. Pick one."

Her response? "Don't forget the sunscreen."

Now that right there's funny!

I love it. Since I'm not married and only 16, here's what i've changed it to:

Wake up at 4:00am. go to my parents room. wake my dad up. tap my mom on the shoulder "make us breakfast or we're going fishing." and her response will be "leave me some coffee"

BB
Old 04-10-08, 09:19 PM   #23
bamabassman

mississippiboy, my wife says sex first...then get outa here!!! i don't have a problem with fishing being such a big part of my life. i still hold down a job so i can buy more stuff!!! but no.... my wife knows how much i love her and how much i love fishing. she wishes she had more patience. but if she don't get a bite in 15 mins. she is ready to go home, lol. but if she gets a bite..... hold on!!!
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-08, 10:35 PM   #24
MIbasser

"Has anyone ever called in sick because you knew they were biting?"

No, not for fishing... but have for downhill skiing. I was watching a storm in Utah (I live in MI) and bought a plane ticket on Thursday to fly out and ski Friday and Saturday to only return Sunday. The best skiing of my life (2' of fresh powder all weekend)!! Don't think that I would ever do that for fishing. Just me though.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-08, 10:43 PM   #25
barkelypup

Well guys, If we all threw are problems in the street along with everyone elses when it was said and done we would pick our own back up. Now that I have a wife of 7 years and 2 curtain climbers ages 2 years and 2 months you have to weigh what is important. Before marrage I fished around 250 to 300 days a year. I don't get no where near that much now so you can see which is more important. My lovely wife never complains when I go but I choose not to go as much. I am blessed to have my fishing poles and boat but I am overly blessed with much much more than I deserve with my family.

bP
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.