Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-11, 12:15 PM   #1
fish4942
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default HELP!!! The BPS monkey is calling me!

So I’m torn between which reel(s) to get with the upcoming BPS Spring Classic event. The reel trade-in begins this weekend and so I’m debating on getting another Pro Qualifier (PQ) for $64.97 ($79.97 - $15.00 for reel trade), or the new Johnny Morris (JM) Bass Caster Carbon Black for $89.97 ($109.97 - $20.00 for reel trade), or waiting for the previous (JM) Signature Series to blow out on March 11th for $79.97. I know the Carbon Black is essentially the Signature Series, but it’s improved and it’s NEW! You gotta love that feeling of getting the latest and the greatest.

Here’s my initial plan-

I have an Abu Garcia Revo SX with 50lb Power Pro on an Ugly Stik that I use for Catfishing. I was going to replace that with the Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6600 BCX round reel ($45.00 at WalMart) and use the SX for flipping and pitching on my only 7’ rod that currently holds my JM Elite Series reel. I was going to get the 6’6” carbonlite rod for the Elite reel a little later when the rods usually go on sale. I was going by one of the reels mentioned previously for cranking and spinner baits and Texas rigging soft plastics with fluorocarbon (probably 12lb-15lb test). I was going to match it with the 6’6” Berkley Lighting Rod Shock. But as of late I've been eyeing the Abu 6'9" Vendetta for $30 more bucks. So I’m basically looking at getting 2 reels and 2 rods. But now with so many options I’m not sure what I want to do. I need some suggestions for controlling the monkey and what you think might be the best rout or what you would do.

Last edited by fish4942; 02-22-11 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention the Vendetta.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 04:24 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I don't think that anyone can really tell you what to buy. You just need to get your hands on all the rods and reels that you are considering and see which ones feel best to you. The rods and reels that one guy loves the next guy will think they feel like junk, it's all a pereference and you need to get what feels comfortable to you. Good luck in your shopping adventure!
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 04:33 PM   #3
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Match the Revo SX and the JM Elite to the 7' rod you own. Which is best? Make sure it's a good match. Then buy a rod to match the other. Figure out what technique is best for those two combo's. Then buy to meet your need. If you have a flip/pitch and spinnerbait combo then get one for cranking or whatever technique you have the most confidence in.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.