Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-09, 08:34 AM   #1
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Exclamation Darwin's Chariot recalled!!!

Read!

http://www.walletpop.com/article/_a/...er-46%2F406585

I've said it for years and I'll say it now; A large percentage of people who buy ATVs, 4WD trucks and SUVs, etc, have NO reasonable justification for doing so.
(Insert rant from probably drunk and outraged macho prick who cannot decipher OR comprehend "percentage" and/or "reasonable" and feels this post is a direct affront to his manhood.)
I remember the infamous "Paraplegic Makers"...3-wheelers...and how many folks of my acquaintance just had to have one or, worse yet, gave in to their spoiled brat's demands for one. So far as I can recall with certainty, there were three kids and three adults injured among those I knew on a personal basis. One child, (now in his forties,) has been in wheelchair since his mishap and one of the adults, a lady, suffers severe headaches and vision issues since her accident.
The injuries mentioned were bad enough, but one youngster, Roy B., was killed (at age 15) while driving a 3-wheeler his doting single dad had bought him. I knew them both well, as I was Roy's scoutmaster. It still hurts.
(Insert disclaimer as follows "&$^#%$! Lancer! I know what I'm doin' and MY kid can handle an ATV, even though he's still in diapers!")
So, read the article. If you've been jonesin' for one of these deathtraps maybe, just a small "maybe", you'll see the light.

Lancer6
Someone who gives a damn.
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 08:55 AM   #2
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

L6, I had a friend who lost a 20 year old daughter to one of those death traps -- going slow but front wheel went into a little ditch just enough to jerk the handlebars, threw her off and broke her neck. And your right it still hurts.

I hope your right maybe some will see the light, but some doesn't think it can happen them.
Old 04-01-09, 09:43 AM   #3
MississippiBoy

I saw something two weekends ago that turned my stomach. I meant to post it, but forgot till Sir Lancelot reminded me. On the way to my little cousin's birthday party, I go by several cars and a fire department's EMT car. Upside down in the ditch is a big 4-wheeler. Not sure what it was exactly, but it wasn't a little kiddie scooter, it was one of the big 4x4's, maybe 500 cc. This thing was mangled, front frame and handlebars all twisted around. The EMT's were tending to two boys, maybe 10-12 years old, judging by their friends standing around and sitting on other 4-wheelers.
Apparently the driver had lost control and hit a mailbox. Not just a 4x4 with a box on the top, but a big 3'x3'x5' brick mailbox. It was scattered over a 10' area, with only the bottom 3 rows of bricks still on top of each other. That kid must've been flying down the road not paying attention. My cousin, who works at the hospital, said that one of the kids was in ICU the next day, not sure about the other one.
Old 04-01-09, 10:00 AM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

We own 4 wheelers, 4 wheel drives and jeeps, and yes you have to use your head when driving them..our kids always had helmets on during thier mishaps. We passed a kid flying in the ditch on the way to the lake last week, he as crankin out the speed.
Have heard of guys that go over a hill to fast and the 4 wheeler flips on them and back/neck injuries.
On the other hand, we live where its winter and snow for 5 months of the year so a 4 wheel drive is a real plus if you have work to do outside or towing.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 01:10 PM   #5
flfireman

Don't believe you can blame a vehicle for these problems. I have owned 2 wheels, 3 wheels and 4 wheels. Accidents happen, yet most of these are user error or improper use. Not teaching someone the ins/outs or proper riding skills is not the vehicles problem. Yes they have recalls, but honestly they test these things based on what a competent operator would be doing during normal use. Never like to see somebody dead or disabled, but if you look into it deep enough Im sure blame can be placed on operator error. If they stop making things that can kill somebody we are going back to caveman days because we no longer will have: cars, motorcycles, ATV's, UTV's, lawnmowers, bicycles, guns, trampolines, electric, etc., etc., etc.....

Last edited by flfireman; 04-01-09 at 01:20 PM.
flfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 01:26 PM   #6
1/4 stick

The user has to take some responsibility when riding. I'm surprised I'm still living the way I use to ride my bicycle. Heck, I flipped the old mans riding lawn mower when I was a kid.
Old 04-01-09, 01:33 PM   #7
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman View Post
Don't believe you can blame a vehicle for these problems. I have owned 2 wheels, 3 wheels and 4 wheels. Accidents happen, yet most of these are user error or improper use. Not teaching someone the ins/outs or proper riding skills is not the vehicles problem. Yes they have recalls, but honestly they test these things based on what a competent operator would be doing during normal use. Never like to see somebody dead or disabled, but if you look into it deep enough Im sure blame can be placed on operator error. If they stop making things that can kill somebody we are going back to caveman days because we no longer will have: cars, motorcycles, ATV's, UTV's, lawnmowers, bicycles, guns, trampolines, electric, etc., etc., etc.....
It's Usually some kid that mom & dad were'nt watching when they got hurt or killed who these types of lawsuits. What is any child under the age of 10 duing owning a motor vechile in the first place with out mommy & daddy present & giving proper instruction.
Old 04-01-09, 02:02 PM   #8
aikenyounggun

46 deaths that is unreal!!!

my friend was ridin his 4 wheeler and hit somethin and rolled it a lot........ mangled it wouldnt start and he pushed it back a mile to his house where he fainted in front of his mom..... she called the ambulance and we ended up visiting him in the hospital b/c he had punctured his spleen and the internal bleeding almost killed him
Old 04-01-09, 03:56 PM   #9
achingyoungbum
BassFishin.Com Member

46 deaths that is unreal!!!!

One time I had a friend, well not really my friend but a friend of a guy I knew. And one time I think he wrecked his 4-wheeler or was it a scooter? anyway he like skinned his knee and ruptured his epidermis. The pop rocks and coke almost killed him (they will swell up in your stomach and explode you know)

Anyway Just seen the thread and thought I'd post seeing as how thats what I do.
Old 04-01-09, 06:58 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

You know what else I hate to see. Little kids riding huge fourwheelers. If a little kid want to ride in the dirt, buy 'em a 50cc dirtbike, not a 550 fourwheeler.

BB
Old 04-01-09, 07:03 PM   #11
Foyt20
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Foyt20

^^^ Youngbum, Although it is sort of funny, I dont think that that is very appropriate.
Old 04-01-09, 07:07 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Ok, I have to admit, I just got the Darwin's Chariot joke. I guess I just didn't pay attention to it to begin with. lol lancer.

"He who laughs last, thinks slowest" - uh... I can't remember. lol

BB
Old 04-01-09, 07:09 PM   #13
Jim80

been through my fair share of bike crashes as well the last one being after a few beers and letting my brother talk me in to trying his new dirt bike out in the dark still got the scars to show for it

Jim
Old 04-01-09, 07:13 PM   #14
Foyt20

Send a message via AIM to Foyt20

Dropped my old sportbike instead of hitting a deer, that was the closest I ever came to making darwin's team, although I dont think that I made a bad decison.

Im going to go along with the idea that most of these accidents are caused by user error. Used in a reponsible manner, using the proper safety precautions, all of these vehicles can be safe.

BTW That is my opinion, and my opinion alone.
Old 04-01-09, 10:08 PM   #15
bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foyt20 View Post
Im going to go along with the idea that most of these accidents are caused by user error. Used in a reponsible manner, using the proper safety precautions, all of these vehicles can be safe.
i agree completely
Old 04-02-09, 11:04 AM   #16
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
been through my fair share of bike crashes as well the last one being after a few beers and letting my brother talk me in to trying his new dirt bike out in the dark still got the scars to show for it

Jim

how many emergency visits started with, "hold my beer and watch this!" ?
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-09, 03:44 PM   #17
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
They make beer holders now. It's on a swiviel type thing so it don't spill. So now the last words are "Git er done!" lol
Old 04-02-09, 05:02 PM   #18
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
to many to remember and it's usually check out this sh*t . lol

Jim

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.