Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-07, 08:37 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default Waxing Rods

OK Guys, after cleaning my Shimano Citica 201D tonight, I got to thinking about cleaning my rods. I was wondering, can you use Turtle or Carnuba Wax to wax and shine your rods? Will it hurt them? My St.Croix's have a metal-flake paint, and I think they would look sweet waxed and polished!

Any tips/reccommendations?

-LL-
Old 11-27-07, 09:34 PM   #2
Bob Smith

The wax won't hurt them at all. In fact it will help the rods retain the finish longer by creating a UV protector over the epoxy topcoat that most rods have on them.
Old 11-27-07, 09:39 PM   #3
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Can't think of any wax that would hurt them. I wouldn't bother with a premium wax, just something cheap should be fine for your purpose.

Also, clean your cork handles. I use bleach and let them dry out, but there could be a better way.
Old 11-27-07, 10:07 PM   #4
lunker-lander

Thanks Bob;thanks WTL. I just plan to use Turtle Wax. Wipe on, let dry, and wipe off for a streak free shine; LOL.

By the way, WTL, how do you apply the bleach? Will it crack the cork after it drys? Will it discolor it or just turn it from the blackish-brown color it is now to newish-white color again?

Thanks,
-LL-
Old 11-27-07, 10:13 PM   #5
WTL

It will definitly turn the cork to a newish whitish color, but it may dry out the cork a little more than I like. I'm sure there is a method of rehydrating the cork after you remove the bleach though.
Old 11-27-07, 10:24 PM   #6
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
It will definitly turn the cork to a newish whitish color, but it may dry out the cork a little more than I like. I'm sure there is a method of rehydrating the cork after you remove the bleach though.
What I do with my cork handles requires a little bit of elbow grease but works really well. I run hot water and dish washing liquid in a bucket, take it outside and grab the pot scrubber brush, or fiber scrub pad and scrub them. The dishwashing soap is a great grease cutter and that's what you need if you get bait attractant on the handles. It doesn't dry the cork out either. Rinse it off and let it dry and they look like new handles.
Old 11-27-07, 10:28 PM   #7
WTL

Who has a problem with bait attractant on the handles?

I love the smell of fish attractant in the morning. You know, one day me the boys went fishing on my tracker, spilt an entire bottle of yum attractant on the front deck. It was the smell, you know that intoxicating garlic-anise smell...

It smelled like....victory.

And I thought, sometime this trip is gonna end.
Old 11-27-07, 10:34 PM   #8
Bob Smith

That's funny stuff! I had a buddy out in Texas that got a brand new Triton TR-19 in 2006. I fished a tounament with him and knocked over a bottle of Chartreuse Spike It w/Garlic dye on the passenger seat. I think he wanted to throw me out of the boat because I didn't have any dye remover. Forutnately I wiped a lot of it up, and the rest finally dissappeared after a couple of weeks. Sure was a pretty contrast to that grey naugahyde!
Old 11-27-07, 10:43 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01

for the cork handles....i have heard that taking a fine grit sand paper and rubbing them down followed by a coat of armor all will make them like new. haven't tried it yet but i have been meaning to get around to it.
Old 11-27-07, 11:18 PM   #10
lunker-lander

Well, I waxed up two of my rods with Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell and they turned out awesome! I am working on the third rod as I type. After that I just need to work on the cork, still undecided on that method, but after that, in the rod tubes they go for this year.

Oh yeah, a good tip, put your rods while not in use in old rod tubes or shipping tubes. It keeps them unexposed to sunlight, and it keeps them from getting scratched and damaged.

-LL-
Old 11-28-07, 03:27 AM   #11
islandbass

That is a good idea. Lamiglas actually recommends that the owners of their rods should do that to give the rod a new shine prevent dirt and debris from sticking on the rod long term. They even recommended cleaning the guides with toothpaste and cleaning the corking with water and dish soap.

I've down all three and everytime I do it, my rods look as good as the day I bought them.
Old 11-28-07, 03:22 PM   #12
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
for the cork handlesfollowed by a coat of armor all will make them like new.
And youŽll see your rod flying away like a rocket from your hand on the cast.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 06:42 PM   #13
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
And youŽll see your rod flying away like a rocket from your hand on the cast.

he is right... i don't wax my rods i beat them till they die then i buy a new one..

zooker
Old 11-28-07, 06:59 PM   #14
Raul

I didnŽt mean waxing the blank Zook, IŽve done it for years. Applying Armor All to the handle ..... I donŽt think so.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 08:41 PM   #15
zooker

i know which you ment raul..i need to add more periods...

zooker
Old 11-29-07, 03:06 AM   #16
carolina-rig-01

as i said, i never tried the armor all deal i just heard about it (on here i think). i was concerned about it being slick too, i was gonna try it on one of the rods i don't use anymore first. maybe going over it with the fine grit sand paper after applying the armor all would help keep it from being slick. don't know yet but when i get the time i will give it a shot.
Old 11-29-07, 12:21 PM   #17
bassnman30

I prefer the "used" look. No cleaning for my handles, however on rods I do prefer the wax. It seems to help the line pass without slapping the rod and slowing down due to abrasion. The waxed guides help the line pass through with minimal effort as well.
Old 11-29-07, 08:40 PM   #18
Bob Smith

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassnman30 View Post
The waxed guides help the line pass through with minimal effort as well.

You just gave me an idea! I have been known to take a small candle with me when topwater fishing and rub it on the line 4-6' in front of the lure to help keep the line from sinking (floating line really helps when walking the dog and with poppers by keeping the front of the bait up). I may try a little carnauba wax on my line to see how well that works!
Old 11-29-07, 11:50 PM   #19
otto
BassFishin.Com Member

Wax away or not, just take care of the blank; it's what you pay for in a quality rod. The guides, handle, and reel seat are replaceable.
I like my cork grips to take on a natural patina that is only achived with years of dousing with fish slime, attractant, dirt, and beer. Any cleaning of the cork would set me back years in my goal of creating the perfect rod.
...And my fishing buddies would never let up on a sissy that actually takes the time to wax his rods and cleans his cork....
otto is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.