Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-07, 10:01 AM   #1
patchino22
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Questions on Livewell's

I am trying to fish in a tournament (my first!) this weekend and obviously it requires a livewell. I went and bought a cooler and a bubble box in order to create my livewell. So far so good. I have not tested it out in action as of yet, but do have a few concerns.
(Dimensions: about 2 ft in length, about 18 inches deep)
1. Is this big enough to support multiple fish?
2. How far do I have to fill this thing up?
3. I plan on keeping the bubble box going all day, but will a fish survive in it for 6 hrs?

Any answers I can get are most appreciated. Any advice you can give me is appreciated as well. Thanks!
patchino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-07, 11:03 PM   #2
jwallbassin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to jwallbassin

I fished a tourney a couple weeks back and had to make a livewell out of a cooler too. I used the SuperSaver 12 volt aeration systerm from academy, it is $34.99. I did use alittle bit bigger cooler, if your going for bass you might need to get one alittle bigger, mine is 3 ft by 2 ft and i might get alittle bigger one though before my next one. For about 5 hrs i had 2 fish about 18 inches in it and with about 2 hours left in the tourney i added another 16 incher in to it. It worked great but if i had the 5 fish limit it might of gotten alittle crowded. My fish were still very alive at weigh in....1 of them even jumped out of the weigh in basket! I hope this helped, good luck in your tourney! -josh
jwallbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 09:01 AM   #3
patchino22

That is just the kind of feedback I need. Thanks JWall!

Everyone else, please feel free to keep the advice comin.
Old 05-04-07, 09:34 AM   #4
Christopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Way cheaper and more aerated way than the super saver, a big quite redneck engineer project though

Take an 18gal. rubbermaid container. Then go to any boat store, boater's world, west marine, etc. or even walmart sometimes and purchase a 500 or less bilge pump. Make sure to get some bilge pump hose too I like to use two different lengths of hose, a 2-3 foot section for in the livewell and however long you're going to need to get water in and out of the well from over the side of the boat. You will also need some zip ties and some PVC pipe that will fit on the outside of the pump hose, along with some liquid electrical tape.

Now take a drill bit that will allow the zip ties to go through and drill about 4 of them in the "width" side of the container. Now take your PVC pipe and use that same bit or bigger and drill some holes in a line, no other pattern unless you like to get wet Now glue an PVC end cap onto that and zip tie this contraption into the holes, but be sure to leave enough room to get the pump hose into the open end. If the pump hose and PVC connection is a little loose take some liquid electrical tape and put a small coating around the inside of the pvc (do this first before installing PVC into container). Keep on making these small coatings until the hose fits in snug but not too tight. Now hook up your hose to the pump and then get some alligator clips or a switch and some battery ring terminals for power. Just load the water and your're ready to go. Be sure to have some frozen 2-liter bottles to put in there in the summer or you'll have some dead fish!

Christopher
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 12:53 PM   #5
jwallbassin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to jwallbassin

Oh yeah good point christopher i forgot to say that, i just have like 6 flozen 20 oz water bottles on had to keep the water tremp cool, just put them in there through out the day......and it woundnt be a bad idea aroud half way through the day to change some of the water out ot put some fresh water in
jwallbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 03:29 PM   #6
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

Jesse,
Check out board, it looks like Mackintosh will be closed this weekend, we're moving to Hickory Hill launch at Falls Lake if that happens, I'll also fill you in on your livewell then
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 04:12 PM   #7
patchino22

Got it DP. Keep me posted on my email if you can. I actually fished from Hickory Hill a couple weeks ago.......didnt get a single bite. I hope that changes this time! I will keep an eye on the JBFC website. Thanks.
Old 05-04-07, 04:14 PM   #8
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

NP, I've got a little larger cooler, remind me to stick it in the truck for you. I also think the bubble thing you have might not be enough, Wal-Mart has a spray bar thing with suction cups on the bottom that work extremely well. I'll email you my cell, in case I forget, been on the phone the past hour
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 04:30 PM   #9
patchino22

Thanks a bunch. You are a good man DP!
Old 05-04-07, 06:17 PM   #10
Christopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dampeoples View Post
NP, Wal-Mart has a spray bar thing with suction cups on the bottom that work extremely well.

My way is around Wal-marts spray bar, redneck style
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.