Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-09, 02:33 AM   #1
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo
Default When planting a brush pile.....

Let me hear what you guys have to say. What type of wood? What do you tie it with? What do you sink it with? If your not using wood like oak or other hardwoods what our you using? What else do you use PVC etc? where have been your most productive piles been example around natural rock, channel, points, etc? When making a good fish holding pile what are some characteristics?

Anyway let me know im looking at dropping some this winter / spring, so any input would be great... Thanks! oh and yes its legal
Old 11-06-09, 08:25 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I use oak, and holly, The thicker the branches are the better! All I do if I wanna sink them is get some rope, tie it to the branch/branches, and tie that to a cinder block. Just drop it where you want it! The cinder block should take it down good, I've dropped up to six big branches with one block, it sank a little slow, but, it got there! Since I fish from shore in ponds, I try to plant it close to some weeds and deeper water.
Old 11-06-09, 08:53 AM   #3
Racemaster33
BassFishin.Com Member

Default pvc

I have a friend that has planted many of them. He use to use old christmas trees tied to a block with nylon rope. The cedar tree lasts a long time, is dense enough to make baid fish hide in it. The nylon rope lasts longer than most kinds also.
He recently started building pvc trees. He uses various sizes and fills the lower tube with quick-creet concrete. These will never rot away and once in the water for a few months they get a good coat of green/brown slime on them. He no longer loses his crappie jigs on them either.
Racemaster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 06:56 PM   #4
n8sbassin
BassFishin.Com Member

As far as cedars go, I'd use something else, I've caught a lot of bass and crappie off of cedars, but usually after they've been there for a year or more! We put a BIG cedar on one of our better crappie spots and ruint it for almost 2 years. You could catch them there but not many, I'm not sure if its the acidity in the green or what, if you have dead cedars (just limbs) those work great. I also have used some hedge (osage orange) they work pretty good. Haven't tried PVC, but its definately on the list for this next year! As far as location, I like points for bass. If you can find where a flat point starts to get steeper, drop a brush pile there, It will hold fish!
n8sbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 07:22 PM   #5
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Heres what I had in mind. I was planning on using oak or some other hardwood maybe a 5-10 main limb with spaced out branches than using cooper wire tying other branches on if necessary and than sinking it with a cinder block. I would like to try out the PVC tree also as I hear they work pretty good and with less snags.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.