Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-09, 01:01 PM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Rod build #2 done!! (maybe?)

Well everything came out pretty good...except the decal..It went on great,but after applying the epoxy,you''ll notice by the ''N'' on the decal.I got some weird blemish??..I think it was water trapped in the thread that didnt show until it reacted with the epoxy..The only problem with that theory is that I used a low heat hair dryer to dry out the thread and decal...It was perfect before epoxy..Ill figure out what went wrong....I'll probably strip the whole thing off this weekend and redo it,I dont think I can live with that blemish...I work too hard to ''settle''

Hopefully you can see the single wraps of white thread in the hook saver and butt wrap...I thought it came out nice!.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DECAL.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	4468   Click image for larger version

Name:	DOUBLE FOOT.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	4469   Click image for larger version

Name:	FLY GUIDE.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	4470   Click image for larger version

Name:	HOOK SAVER.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	334.3 KB
ID:	4471   Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW FRONT.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	4472  

Old 11-19-09, 01:30 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Waffle...that rod is beautiful. I really like the color combination. I also like how you did one white pinstripe on one side of the guide feet, but two on the other. Asymmetry reigns!! My only thought would be for you to do the NELSON in white on the black rod background. You would want to be only 99.99% cool. Go for the full 100.
Old 11-19-09, 01:40 PM   #3
WaffleJaw

Nofear- thank you,I think its looking killer myself.
My original decal was white lettering with black background...Only problem is you still have to do a white underwrap with the thread..thats what creates the white letters (printer wont print in white...its clear)....I try that first with horrible success...I need to practice the decals more..I got a golf shaft to practice on....Ill work on it till I find a good approach Apparently the blemish is called a ''fish eye'' its a spot that rejects the epoxy...Im still learning more on it....blah,What a f**king pain!..haha

Thanks again!...Im gonna take some better pics this weekend after its fully cured.
Old 11-19-09, 02:59 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

WJ, I also think it looks sweet!

I don't know if its just the picture, or maybe even just me, but the fisheye doesn't look that bad. Anyways, I'm interested in how that white foam looks after a month of fishing though, lol.

Color combo is awesome too, way to go! That's on a Rainshadow blank, right?

BB
Old 11-19-09, 03:22 PM   #5
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
WJ, I also think it looks sweet!

I don't know if its just the picture, or maybe even just me, but the fisheye doesn't look that bad. Anyways, I'm interested in how that white foam looks after a month of fishing though, lol.

Color combo is awesome too, way to go! That's on a Rainshadow blank, right?

BB
ha!,Thanks BB
Yea that's why I use the white foam sparingly..Nothing quick wipes of acetone wouldnt clean off....but Im sure they'll get dirty quick
Yea thats the rainshadow 6'6'' MH MF cranking stick....Im still amazed at how light it is...Cant wait to test it out.
Also Mudhole just introduced (recently) a new low cost blank called MHX blanks...I was told by another builder they compare to a Loomis GLX and he switched from Rainshadow to them...They cost about the same as Rainshdow.....I bet theres not much difference but this guy has 15 years of building on me..hahaha

That ''fish eye'' is apparently savable ,so Im told...I got to let it fully cure,than I can take a sanding block with 400+ grit wet/dry sand paper nd carefully sand down to the blemish..and than re-apply the epoxy to fill it...Its a process,but since it's so close to the letters,Its pretty noticable....enough to make me want to fix it....after all the time I put into this just to have the final step fubar on me is unexceptable!.
Plus I like learning all the different ways to fix,and redo these things
Old 11-19-09, 03:25 PM   #6
Bassboss

Stop lieing waffle! So how'd you have make yer custom rod?

K/J waffle! That's a sick looking rod man, looks like some new JDM rod fresh out of iCast!

Rain shadow blank?

Also I didn't notice a trigger on there, is there one?
Old 11-19-09, 03:53 PM   #7
WaffleJaw

Thanks boss...Yea thats the Fugi ACS reel seat..Its actually double triggered!!...Im just holding it at a weird angle...But that seat will be my new standard...I take that back,Im wanting to use a Minima ultra light reel seat on the next build...I believe its the same reel seat they use on the Shimano Cumara..I swung one the other day and really like it...(the Cumara wasnt bad either,lol)

Rainshadow blanks are rods strictly made for rodbuilders..high materials,low cost so builders can make a living...
Old 11-19-09, 06:40 PM   #8
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Thanks boss...Yea thats the Fugi ACS reel seat..Its actually double triggered!!...Im just holding it at a weird angle...But that seat will be my new standard...I take that back,Im wanting to use a Minima ultra light reel seat on the next build...I believe its the same reel seat they use on the Shimano Cumara..I swung one the other day and really like it...(the Cumara wasnt bad either,lol)

Rainshadow blanks are rods strictly made for rodbuilders..high materials,low cost so builders can make a living...

Cool waffle! I didn't see the trigger a first, I can see it now!
Old 11-27-09, 12:40 AM   #9
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Waffle, that is some awesome work bro! You get the rookie of the year award in my book for rod building. If work can pick up, I plan on asking you and BB a lot of questions in the future.
Old 11-27-09, 09:42 AM   #10
bamabassman

This is jsut an awesum job waffle. Truly a good looking rod.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.