Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-10, 12:09 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Bad Cal dwell ?

What do you guys think , did Caldwell make a bad call on resting the starters for 3ish weeks ? I believe so. I think the Colts should have went for the perfect season , and forget the whole excuse of getting the players hurt. They probably will get hurt worse trying to break that rust loose when the opponets are schooling them. I would like to see todays football players go back in time , and wear them leather helmets...then talk about getting hurt....
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-10, 05:09 PM   #2
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Yeah, I think he screwed up. Confidence was high, they had momentum and shoulda rooled with it.
On the subject of leather helmets, impossible. Players today are way too mean, strong and fast. People wouldn't be getting hurt, they'd be getting killed
Old 01-16-10, 05:47 PM   #3
bamabassman

To quote a coach named Herman Edwards,"That is why you play the game. you play to win!" I hate it when the pros bench their star players. In my opion, it should be outlawed. YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!
And mallen, not totatly agreeing with you on your sentence of the players being way too mean now versus yesteryear. But are you saying that Dick Butkis, Mean joe green, The purple people eaters and i can go on and on aren't as mean as the players of today? I can't name some of the players of the real old days, but i know that there were PLENTY of players from then that would do just fine in todays game. They may not be as fast, but then again, we might not ever know cause they didn't have the time clocks that are used today either. But there were some really fast and MEAN som@#$%^ back then. They had to be mean to play the game without the modern uniforms that are used today. Look at all the rules in todays game that were made BECAUSE of wht they did back then. After watching some clips of those games back then, i would hate to have had to played then. My own dad played with a leather helmet, said you had to learn HOW to play without getting hurt, meaning you had to learn how to put out the most devasting hit without hurting yourself. It is amazing to me that any of those guys came out without some really serious injury. Most did not.
Old 01-16-10, 05:58 PM   #4
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

bama, none of the guys you mentioned played in leather helmets. Even though players are even more violent today than the era you're talking about, you're proving my point.
Old 01-16-10, 09:55 PM   #5
bamabassman

Mallen.........i know what you are saying buddy. These same guys and some of the ones that played in the 60's DID play with leather helmets in their younger years such as junior high and high school. And they made all the way through to the pros.
Take Dick Butkis for example.During an interview years ago after he had retired, he was asked what his goal was during a game. His response was "to kill the oppenant." He was asked if he really meant to "kill" the guy on the other side, he said YES! I am sure that someone here can come forth and name other examples of players from older generations that are of the same cloth. I DO agree that todays game is faster and the players are overall larger and the game is more about speed combined with force. But what i don't think is that the players of the older generation are not as mean as todays players.
Just remebered another player, this one DID play with leather helmet, SLINGING SAMMY BAUGH. He was as mean as they come, played both ways. Now i understand the reasons for having a player NOT play both ways. But you HAVE to give credit where it's due. Todays player has more rest time on the sideline than yesteryears player. So i am not gonna say that they weren't as mean or nothing as todays player. It is just the same game..basicly, I think they make it more complicated than it should be. Just my opion.
Old 01-17-10, 12:25 AM   #6
TN_Bassin

Well to answer your question, it would seem that Caldwell made the right call to rest the starters.
Old 01-17-10, 10:29 AM   #7
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
Well to answer your question, it would seem that Caldwell made the right call to rest the starters.
It's never the right call to give up on an undefeated season. I don't think the Colt players agreed with it either. I'm a Rams fan but I think they tried to win every game.

And Mallon and Bama the big difference between todays players and players of yesteryear is the offseason in the old days players had to find jobs to survive. Now they just workout and buy guns and shoot theyselves in the leg. What I'm saying is they are so overpaid they don't have to do nothing but train, so they get bigger and faster, but in no way are they meaner than the old players. I would take a Dick Butkus or a Sam Huff over Ray Lewis any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Another thing, 99% of the old players were class acts. What % of todays players are?
Old 01-17-10, 05:45 PM   #8
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post

Another thing, 99% of the old players were class acts. What % of todays players are?

20% to 30% at the most. The NFL should start handing out more severe fines for bad behavior. Look at the fines they hand out right now 1k-2k-5k. What is the incentive for someone who makes millions a year?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.