Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-08, 07:02 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Christmas Shopping...

I am not looking forward to this. I dont know about all you , but I go shopping for someone else , and end up buying more for myself than anyone else... I goto a clothing store to get my mom something , and walk *by* the mens clothing , and , o yeah , I havent bought myself any jeans for along time...
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-08, 07:11 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I know what ya mean. I went to BPS to pick my mom up some plastic craw trailers to go with my... er.. I mean her jigs, and I end up spending a bunch of money. Go figure.

BB
Old 10-20-08, 07:35 PM   #3
Jim80

I let my wife do all the shopping just for that reason

Ji
Old 10-21-08, 12:54 PM   #4
cassidyta

Having been married as long as I have, hee is my advice.

Always get a gift receipt and if they don't think it is too impersonal...go with a gift card.
Old 10-21-08, 02:21 PM   #5
Fishnngolfn

Suggestion or idea #1 - Purchase gifts for Christmas throughout the year. (wife's idea)

Ever since we got married, my wife and I purchase gifts for our kids throughout the year. We just buy a gift (movies, books, toys, etc.) when we can and then store it in our closet. How many times have you been shopping and thought "That would be a great little gift for _____ for Christmas." We get it if we can afford it at the time and then stick it in the closet. Some gifts have sat in our closet for 7 months. Come December, we only have about 1 or 2 gifts left to purchase for our kids and extended family and friends. This has saved us bigtime each year in the pocketbook area come Jan 1st.

Suggestion or idea #2 - Do not use credit cards to buy Christmas gifts. (my idea)

We also do not use credit cards to purchase presents. If we can't afford to pay for it right then, they don't get it. That is with our kids, brothers, sisters, parents, grandparents, and friends. Family and friends are understanding of your financial situation more than you think. If they are not, then are they truly friends?

Suggestion or idea #3 - Keep a list throughout the year of what you want. (my idea)

Two years ago, I suggested that we also keep a list on what we want throughout the year. That way we have suggestions to give people when they ask. Because I know I always forget things that I wanted throughout the year when Christmas comes rolling around.

We have done these 3 things for Christmas and it has saved us headaches and most of all money. We do not see a huge hit to our savings or a jump in the credit card bill. That way the tax return we get in March or April doesn't have to bail us out of the debt created from Christmas.

Last edited by Fishnngolfn; 10-21-08 at 03:56 PM.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-08, 03:50 PM   #6
kicking bass
BassFishin.Com Member

At our house it works this way.....My wife does the shopping, I push the cart, pay for it, load it in the car and wrap it as time allows.
Old 10-21-08, 04:18 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Good tips FNG, And I've got one for those of you who buy fishing stuff for other people (Like I do for my dad). DO NOT shop at BPS, Cabela's, Gander Mtn, etc. Shop online.If you go to the store, you're more likely to say, "While I'm here..." And that's hwen the monkey attacks and then when you get to the next store, you wonder "I thought I had more money than this..."

BB
Old 10-21-08, 08:55 PM   #8
bamabassman

hahahaha, i do the same thing kicking.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-08, 09:15 PM   #9
MIbasser

Hey, I thought Santa bought all my gifts!!!
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-08, 12:04 PM   #10
kicking bass
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
Hey, I thought Santa bought all my gifts!!!
Son, we need to talk. Ho, Ho, Ho J/K.
Old 10-23-08, 08:50 PM   #11
woody

My wife and I buy for the kids(2) and each other, thats about it.
We do spend alot a time with family this time of year, enjoyin family and food!
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-08, 07:10 PM   #12
Bassgrl81
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Bassgrl81 Send a message via Yahoo to Bassgrl81

I hate Christmas shopping! I only buy actual gifts for my nieces and gift cards for the family members. Piece of cake to mail too!
Old 10-25-08, 09:48 PM   #13
CMorg

I love this time of year also. I like the old classic shows/cartoons my kids watch , the same ones I watched... thats awsome. Its after christmas I hate. The bare trees , the white snow covered ground , the brown grass when not snow covered , the gray ski's.... I long for spring.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-08, 11:25 PM   #14
bamabassman

cmorg, i feel your pain, well not really, i meant i understand. i too after xmas just can't hardly wait for spring. here there isn't much snow, just ugly brown ground. but we are lucky, spring comes pretty soon compared to you guys up north. so ya gotta come south right? com'on pal, march is a great time here for fishing.
Old 10-26-08, 08:32 AM   #15
Jim80

Yeah we spend the whole winter waiting for spring to come , I don't no what it is about winter now I mean I loved thesnow when I was a kid and now I curse the fact that we have to deal with it .

Jim
Old 10-26-08, 08:40 AM   #16
BigBassin144

You know what's depressing, not having snow on christmas. I don't care if it snows another time all winter, but I want snow on christmas. I just think it would be weird in the south to not have snow on the ground christmas morning.

BB
Old 10-26-08, 04:30 PM   #17
bamabassman

well bb, if it snows here in da south, none of the kids get to play with their toys. wait a minute......now i remember, the kids nowadays play INSIDE. that is correect, no more trucks or outside type toys. just video games and such. hahahaha. we are lucky to get a foot of snow all winter, lmao. mostly just some good ol rain, sleet. just enough to make it all yucky and ugly outside. and cold. yes it gets cold here gang. in the northeast mountains of bama along with the humidity, makes it seem colder than it really is.
Old 10-26-08, 05:45 PM   #18
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Now that gas is 2.29 / gal and Polly is all muscled up from pushing the old push mower, I’ve decided to let her get back on the john Deere as winter is closing in on us and it’s time to break out the snow plow attachments. I’ve urged her to go to wall-mart to Christmas shop for some winter necessities and pickup some carhartt bib coveralls and some fire starter blocks for the fire place to burn the fire wood that she has stock piled this summer. Just incase we get a blizzard and get snowed in, Polly has planned ahead for the two of us, She’s butchered two sow hogs and she’s got plenty of venison, raccoon and ground hog along with fruit, vegetables and nuts in the cellar. Elmer and Becky will be having Christmas dinner with us which will be stuffed mountain oysters, yams and turnip greens. Polly and Becky gets the mountain oysters over at the slaughter house, 25lb bag will last through New years. That will get us through the Holidays and then comes the thaw, then she’ll be fixin‘ carp casserole and turnip greens. I have gotta stop, I am getting, hungary.
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.