Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-10, 01:47 PM   #1
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Headline from today:

Has anyone else seen this? http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36981179?GT1=43001

Short version: two highschool boys are told to either take off the American flag t-shirts/bandannas they're wearing, or be suspended, because wearing them on Cinco de Mayo could be "incendiary" and cause fights.
If wearing an American flag causes fights, it's the other person that's guilty of being incendiary, not the wearer. I'm so mad I could spit...
Old 05-06-10, 01:59 PM   #2
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I'm with ya mallen, have to make everone happy but the true blue american.
Old 05-06-10, 02:16 PM   #3
doc

I seen it, and I must say. It's a sad day in AMERICA when you can't wear an AMERICAN flag on your person. I just don't get it. Did anyone see the Phoenix suns protesting arizonas immigration law with the los suns jersies?

I don't get it, it is politically incorrect to call out ILLEGAL immigrants now.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 04:09 PM   #4
MIbasser

That's pretty bad. What I don't get is Cinco de Mayo is a MEXICAN holiday celebrating their victory over the French (and Spain). Not an American holiday.

Now, I do think that us American's will find any reason to have a beer or three.......
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 04:39 PM   #5
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

personally, I think it's insensitive and we should reserve our American Flag t-shirts for the 4th of July, but we can only wear them if there's an equal number of British flag t-shirts...because we don't want to discriminate...
Old 05-06-10, 05:39 PM   #6
Jim80

I'll call it what it is crap and I would tell those kids parents to hire a good lawyer and go to town on the school . Since when it is wrong to be an American in America and show your patriotism .

Jim
Old 05-06-10, 06:05 PM   #7
1/4 stick

I'd like to see them tell the Mexicans not to wear any symbols of Mexico on the 4th. The ACLU would be all over that.
Old 05-06-10, 06:26 PM   #8
WaffleJaw

Yea but these kids were wearing shirts and bandanna's....On Cinco De Mayo.
They were going out of thier way to show american flags on a Mexican holiday.They were asking for trouble.
The report even had comment that the hispanics were offended.

''But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.

"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July."

So yea a nasty fight could have broken out...It would have at my high school.
I think the school went a little overboard,but their only trying to protect the students.
Old 05-06-10, 06:33 PM   #9
1/4 stick

''But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday."

This aint Mexico. Not saying them celebrating the holiday and their heritage is wrong. But wearing the US flag isn't either.

"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July."

I bet they would.
Old 05-06-10, 07:59 PM   #10
Cavs1123

Thats really stupid! I think that whoever told em to take em off should be suspended!
Old 05-06-10, 08:32 PM   #11
Abbeysdad

Lets get real....On the one hand, these boys weren't being patriotic, they were lookin for trouble and dis 'in their Mexican American school mates. On the other hand, the school ain't in Mexico and I've heard this holiday isn't that big of a deal even in Mexico.
Just don't wear a white T shirt on Martin Luther King day!
Old 05-06-10, 09:09 PM   #12
Jrob78

Tough one. My take on it is this, if these boys weren't being obnoxious and trying to start trouble they wouldn't have been asked to change clothes. Who pairs their American flag shirt with a flag bandanna? My guess is they were blatantly trying to get a rise out of their classmates. I'm 1000% for patriotism, I'm also for school being a place of learning, not disrespect and disruption.

If these boys were quietly going about their day without making a point to harass Hispanic students then they should have been allowed to wear their flags, if they were being disruptive and confrontational they deserved to be sent home.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 10:54 PM   #13
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Look, i ain't trying to start a fight or nothin. BUT...........THIS IS AMERICA, THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. If it is gonna be a crime to wear my country's flag, let me rot in jail or hang me or shoot me. cause if i want to wear it......I WILL. WHEREEVER I WANT, WHENEVER I WANT.
Old 05-06-10, 11:05 PM   #14
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Listen.....if you love Mexico so damned much you're willing to get into a fight with an American for wearing the U.S. flag on their clothing, you have a really bad attitude problem, and your anti-American a$$ needs to be deported.

Personally, I'd like to drive a tractor trailer through a Cinco De Mayo parade, fast enough that all of the guacamole wouldn't end up spinning my wheels.
Old 05-07-10, 02:32 AM   #15
1/4 stick

I think the sad part of this situation is that it’s an opportunity to educate the kids that was thrown away in favor of a sad attempt to be politically correct. This could have been used to teach these kids about tolerance. Not just tolerance of the Mexican people and there holiday, but tolerance of the kids who chose to wear the American flag. And tolerance of all U.S. citizens and their heritage.

It could have been a wonderful lesson about freedom of speech and expression, and how it pertains to everyone. Not just the particular group that happens to be the flavor of the day. But it’s been wasted in order to maintain pc, and the result is these U.S. flag wearing kids have been made to appear as racists and trouble makers. Let’s be honest. How many of us weren’t trouble makers at that age? These kids that wore those tee shirts and bandanas have every right to be as proud of their heritage as the others have a right to be proud of theirs.

Perhaps if the school officials had taken the time to use this opportunity, the kids might not be so quick to fight each other over something as stupid as this later in life. In fact, it might give cause for each side to learn about the other’s culture and heritage.

That said, let's all go to Mexico and start popping off fireworks and waving the U.S. Flag in celebration of the 4th of July this year just to see what happens.

That’s just my opinion. I’ll quit preaching for awhile now.

Last edited by 1/4 stick; 05-07-10 at 06:36 AM.
1/4 stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-10, 09:03 AM   #16
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
Lets get real....On the one hand, these boys weren't being patriotic, they were lookin for trouble and dis 'in their Mexican American school mates.
I know 1 of them, Possibly 2 of them were 1/2 hispanic.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.