Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-11, 02:54 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default A bitter sweet day

Today, my older brother Steve and I got out for some bass fishing, and we had a really nice time together. It had been a long time since Steve had gotten into some hot bass fishing. So I took him out to Flint Lake and guided him to the areas I was sure would produce for him. He had a blast, as did I. He out caught me 3-1 and I couldn't have been happier. I'm not sure how many he caught, but it was at least 10 bass and 1 pike. The 3 lures that produced today for him were the Jitterbug early, followed by one of my own spinnerbaits, and an Xcaliber 3" popper in sexy shad. My bass were caught mostly off a Cavender buzz bait and a couple on the popper. It had been years he said since he brought home fish to eat, so he was very pleased to have some for dinner. He and his wife will be eatting good tonight. The bitter occured just before we left. The rain had started to fall which was ok, but then the lightning started and we knew we needed to get off the lake. He went to make one last LONG cast with his brand new baitcast combo, and it slipped out of his hands and down it went. Somewhere 15 feet down, it lays on the lakes floor. I felt so badly for him. This was his first baitcaster and by far the best combo he's ever had. AND, I was so proud of how well he was casting. I had my share of backlashes today, but he seemed to be doing just fine with only a couple minimal mishaps. He had caught on very quickly. The rod was a brand new Garcia Vendetta and the reel was a Pro Qualifier Tournament Baitcaster he bought from Ryan. He loved that outfit! Next time I'm out I'm going to try to snag it up, but you know how that goes. In the meantime, he's planning to get another outfit exactly like the one he lost. But all in all, he kept everything in perspective after the shock of loosing the outfit. I think his strong Christian faith helps him a lot in situations like that. While some guys would tend to go nuts, he was able to reason it out and accept what had just happened. I wish I could be as resolved as he is in situations like that. Here is a pic of Steve with the ones he brought home for dinner. Way to go brother!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0214 copy.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	7130  

Last edited by keithdog; 08-20-11 at 03:01 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-11, 04:56 PM   #2
bamabassman

DANGIT MAN!!! sos orry steve, i know that ahd to hurt losing the combo. but hey, look at it this way...now your BROTHER can get you a NEW combo fro christmas. hahahaha, see what oyu gotta do now keith?
and as for the fish, SON!!! NICE JOB STEVE!!!
keith, i am CHOMPING AT THE BIT to get out there man. we didn't go today cause of the sun and heat, but they are saying clouds are moving in tonight and we are gonna try it in the morning. thanks for the spinners, i gotta couple of rods with them already on em. yes one is lisa's,lol.

great report and i am so happy oyu and oyur brother got to spend some time together out on the water. hopefully we will see more reports like this from you two.
Old 08-20-11, 08:28 PM   #3
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

sounds like my day . broke two rods today but i was in the process of landing fish, yes kdog one was on the blue spinner, was about 2 1/2 lbs the other was my kitsler worm rod laid in to a heavy one on a 5 in senko. never saw that one he wrap me up as i tried to winch me out sna goes the rod and good bye fish. any way enough about me. glad your brother out fished the master. who know maybe you will drag his rod up fore him, those 4 look about the same as mind no pic forgot phone in truck. hope package was ther when you got home
Old 08-20-11, 08:44 PM   #4
bassboogieman

Ouch, two rods in one day - that HURTS. I've also had a rod go overboard during a cast (rather an attempted cast), with the boat sitting in 20' of water, which was a cold 58 degrees and we were 7 or 8 miles from the ramp, so I did not go in after it, and the really bad news is it wasn't mine, and it was during a fishing trip, far away from home, requiring an immediate trip to the nearest tackle shop to buy a replacement, and it was a G. Loomis, and I had to pay retail, thank God for credit cards and that I was using one of my own reels and didn't have to buy another one of those immediately. I hate that story and have no idea why I related it, but it NFE reads it, he'll probably leak a little.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-11, 08:45 PM   #5
bcklash

The baitmonkey made him do it. Sounds like a good day.
Old 08-20-11, 11:54 PM   #6
keithdog

That really sucks about the broken rods Don. I'd be really peeved. Glad to hear the spinnerbait hooked one for ya. Havn't recieved the package yet but I'll keep an eye out for it.
Old 08-21-11, 12:04 AM   #7
nofearengineer

Keith, do yourself a favor and get a set of marker buoys. Heck, you could even make some homebrew ones for pennies. You never know when you might drop something expensive. Pitching out a marker buoy has got to increase your chances of getting it back by a 100 times.
Old 08-21-11, 10:03 AM   #8
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Keith, do yourself a favor and get a set of marker buoys. Heck, you could even make some homebrew ones for pennies. You never know when you might drop something expensive. Pitching out a marker buoy has got to increase your chances of getting it back by a 100 times.
This is exactly what my brother and I discussed before we even left the lake. I'm also planning on picking up one of those grappling treble hooks to use on a heavy cord for dredging the bottom.
Old 08-21-11, 10:13 AM   #9
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Looks like a stringer of fish made up for the moment of sorrow. Sounds like a good day with you bro!
Old 08-21-11, 10:58 AM   #10
Marc David
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Hope you guys are able to retrieve the combo. Glad he was able to get a few to bring home though!
Marc David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-11, 01:22 PM   #11
Bassboss

Sounds like a good day with the exception of the rod, good luck snagging it for him. Hope he enjoys that fish too.
Old 08-21-11, 03:09 PM   #12
bassboogieman

Keith, you can also use a metal stringer - the ones with the "shower curtain" clips. Open the clips and add a 3 - 4 oz weight, tie on some cord and drag bottom with it. I hate to admit to having a stringer on board, but I do just for that purpose.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-11, 05:02 PM   #13
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Keith, you can also use a metal stringer - the ones with the "shower curtain" clips. Open the clips and add a 3 - 4 oz weight, tie on some cord and drag bottom with it. I hate to admit to having a stringer on board, but I do just for that purpose.
Thats a good idea Bruce! thanks
Old 08-21-11, 05:23 PM   #14
bamabassman

i think he should jsut dive down there. hahahahaha!!!!
Old 08-22-11, 06:56 AM   #15
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i think he should jsut dive down there. hahahahaha!!!!
We both thought about that! lol But 15 foot deep or so with weeds wasn't out cup of tea. haha I am rigging up a dragging line though to go back and try to retrieve it. Doubt I'll be able to pin point the exact spot, but worth a try. I know I can get fairly close to where it went down. So long as the owner of a sail boat docked in front of a cabin don't move it before I get back. Thats my landmark!
Old 08-23-11, 10:21 PM   #16
bassinbob

Good day but hate to lose a combo overboard. So far I've been able to get mine back (two or three times).
Old 08-23-11, 11:25 PM   #17
keithdog

Well, tonight Steve and I went to BPS and bought his replacement outfit. An exact copy of what he lost. He's a happy man again. Plus he bought me a new Berkley electric fillet knife to replace my aging Mr. Twister one. This new knife is a beaut. Now I'm gonna have to bring home a couple fish to try it out on. The pressure is on!!! haha

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.