Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-08, 10:04 PM   #1
stevomac59
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Question Lunar patterns

I've heard about all these different things that predict the outcome of fishing success. Such things include: Lunar patterns, pressure patterns, etc... what does all of this mean? How can I find out about these things? (website??)
Old 05-04-08, 10:13 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

http://www.solunar.com/reading_times.aspx

Old 05-09-08, 01:26 AM   #3
fishin' fool

I think sunar periods influence feeding times at night. Full moon= longer feeding periods after the sun goes down. I've read in acouple of articles that full moon does influence spawning activity, which I believe is true too. Barometric pressure I think affects phyto and zooplankton more than the actual bass. So if it effects plankton patterns it could affect bait fish patters that may affect bass and other predator fish feeding patters. Just what I think though. I'm still learning bout the both of them too! Good fishin
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 10:01 AM   #4
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Well, since the idea has come about, a lot of people have kept records that included the lunar phases. Every fishing magazine I've seen has a calendar for prime fishing times. Other prominent anglers/authors believe wholeheartedly in the effect the moon phase has on all wildlife activity.

Many sources say the three days before and after the new moon is the best days of the month.

I stopped keeping track of the phase, 'cause I'd put pressure on myself to catch a few hawgs.

Barometric pressure affects the depth at which plankton hang out in the water column. Baitfish go where their food goes. Gamefish go where their food goes.
Old 05-09-08, 10:24 AM   #5
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin' fool View Post
I think sunar periods influence feeding times at night. Full moon= longer feeding periods after the sun goes down. I've read in acouple of articles that full moon does influence spawning activity, which I believe is true too. Barometric pressure I think affects phyto and zooplankton more than the actual bass. So if it effects plankton patterns it could affect bait fish patters that may affect bass and other predator fish feeding patters. Just what I think though. I'm still learning bout the both of them too! Good fishin

I know barometric pressure plays a role in fishing, but It seems to me that an inch or two of high or low water would affect the pressure much more than barometric pressure. I think the baromoter change is just 1 factor in a list of things when a front comes thru or moves out that affects the bite.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 12:19 PM   #6
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevomac59 View Post
I've heard about all these different things that predict the outcome of fishing success. Such things include: Lunar patterns, pressure patterns, etc... what does all of this mean? How can I find out about these things? (website??)
Most of us guys here are weekend warriors, that mean you have to fish with the conditions of the day, if you are a little bit more in depth then you take as a reference point the previous two or three days conditions ( specially weather ) are going to remain about the same during the weekend.

Take a close look at the solunar tables, what you see ? the best days take place in the vast majority of the cases in days when the weekend warrior is at work, the best hours take place when the weekend warrior is on itīs way to the lake or when it has to leave. Iīd be nutz if I planned my trips based on that, then instead of fishing every weekend Iīd be fishing once or twice a year.

Like Doc mentioned, but It seems to me that an inch or two of high or low water would affect the pressure much more than barometric pressure. or how about a couple more knots in the wind speed, or 4-5 inches more or less in water clarity ? those make a more direct impact in your present day success than the moon phase or if Saturn is in perfect alignment with the Orion Belt.

In other words:

You canīt predict success based on factors in which you have absolutely no control or power upon, you canīt change the weather or the water clarity but you can adapt your baits and fishing techniques to them and depending upon how good you are at it you will have success or not.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 01:53 PM   #7
basstech

Solunar and lunar tables are not the same. Solunar tables predict the time and duration of the highest activity level (feeding) on a speacific day, where as the lunar table is predicting the overall activity level in fish and is mostly important for predicting when the bass will spawn during a given month. The fish on beds spawn on the new moon and tend to lockdown on the nest a lot harder. They won't feed at all and will only move stuff off the nest but not actually leave the nest while dropping there eggs or the first couple of days after having done so. Doesn't mean you can't catch them. But it does become much more difficult. They may just "nose" a bait out of the nest or they may only take the tail and drag it out dropping it just on the outside. Rarely do they inhale the entire bait. During the rest of the year you can predict the fishes behavior only slightly by using the lunar table. It may be that they feed longer during the day during the new moon cycle. Obviously, how agressive they are feeding will be determined more by the recent and daily weather conditions, and (in my opinion) the visibility factor, being determined by the water color and clarity itself and the amount of light penetration.
Old 05-09-08, 02:05 PM   #8
Lilmoosecountry

This has bean known for many years. If you want to see the lunar table best at work head to a nursing home at full moon. Well Bass get just like crazy Grandma. The fuller it gets the better fishing gets. I think myself that it's more of a reaction strike @ Full Moon than a hunger strike.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 09:03 PM   #9
Bob Smith

Man! There were a lot of great replies to this thread! I love topics like these. First of all, my own personal experience with Barometric Pressure is that affects the fish far more than a rise in the water level. My experience has taught me that the barometric pressure affects the upper 15' of water far more greatly than deeper water. The greatest impact I've noticed is during the winter when there are greater swings in the barometric pressure, and the water temps are much lower. The reason for this is because Zooplankton and Photoplankton production is at it's lowest during the cold water periods so when the pressure is high if forces whatever plankton is available to the bottom or onto solid objects in the shallower water. Thus slowing down the entire food chain. In warmer months, especially in very fertile lakes, plankton production is very active because of the warmer water, and the barometric pressure swings are less drastic. Nonetheless, Barometric pressure simply causes me to alter my presentation and helps determine the water depth I may fish.
Moon phases play a very small role in my fishing, and that is largely during the spawning months (down here in the south that's March through May for the most part). I believe it triggers the spawning urge and have seen larger waves of fish in the shallow waters of Lake Fork coinciding with the full moon and dark moon phases. As for the rest of the year, I think it makes it's easier for the fisherman to see at night, more than it affects the fish. lol
Old 05-11-08, 12:15 PM   #10
bassnman30

If the wildlife is active, then the fish are active. Look/listen for squirrels,birds etc...
If none are present then the fish are not active.
Wildlife is wildlife. I.e birds,deer, squirrels, and even bass.
Old 05-11-08, 07:22 PM   #11
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

from my on experenice only now. i have caught more and better fish at either a full moon or a new moon. so i believe in it.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-08, 08:59 PM   #12
Wishing2BFishing

"you canīt change the weather or the water clarity but you can adapt your baits and fishing techniques to them and depending upon how good you are at it you will have success or not.[/QUOTE]

Raul, as always, very articulate and accurate response. Anyway, since you mentioned the weather, I felt obliged to respond. For me, the weather is greatest variable. When those cold fronts come, it can really give the bass a major case of lockjaw. When it storms, the water clarity can significantly change. And when it snows, the bass don't want to hit any of my lures. Unfortunately, I usually experience at least one of these variables every time I have a planned fishing weekend.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 04:17 PM   #13
Raul

Down here itīs been HOT !!!! and I donīt mean the fishing, itīs been 100-110 ° for the past few weeks with water temps in the high 70īs, no clouds and blazing sunlight; you only catch fish with a certain regularity when itīs windy ( oh yeah, itīs like standing in front of a frigginī blowdryer ) fishing with the regular baits, otherwise get ready for skunk city , calm windless days or hours you gotta go deep and crawl at arthritic snail pace your baits.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.