Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-08, 11:47 AM   #1
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Will the real fishermen please stand up!!!

I am sick & tired of these TECHNO NERD REEL GEEKS. Don't get me wrong i want good Equitment. But i get sick of the guy who always talks technology.They really have nothing to add as far as fish'n goes. do some you guy's get tired of this as well.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 11:54 AM   #2
Lilmoosecountry

You know the Guy that Drops 650.00 on a reel & all he talks about is reels. Itz got 25 ball bearings & a Micro heat sinking processer that hones only on the fish of your choice. So then i think to myself. Ok now that you've dropped a load on that reel show me Or tell me some real practical info on it's use. What technique did you use. Most part they have nothing else to offer but what they baught. The BPS fourm is full of these jokers. And if you can't match witts with them they think your a morron. How does all that useless info. Translate into catching fish
Old 05-07-08, 12:00 PM   #3
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Its not just reel technology, but everything. The baitmonkey phenomena has spilled into every aspect of fishing, which is becoming more and more materialistic for most and especially younger anglers.

I think a lot of people enjoy shopping for tackle more than actually fishing.

And I say all this on the very same day I just paid $250 for a reel. I plan on keeping it many years and using it as my primary reel though. I decided to spend that much cause I saw a use for this particular size and style reel, actually its going to be my primary reel for many years - and there werent any reasonable substitues in this case that were cheaper.

I would compare it to a duck hunter wanting a nice shotgun. There is a reason to prefer nice things. The shotgun should never become the obsession of hunting though, its the ducks, the reel is the same way.

Last edited by WTL; 05-07-08 at 12:05 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 12:03 PM   #4
Lilmoosecountry

Your right. But they have nothing to offer on the sport of fishing itself. So why even post. Other than to hear the endless chatter.
Old 05-07-08, 12:31 PM   #5
JRL
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Haha. It doesnt annoy me that much. I do appreciate detail, and good craftmanship though.

The funniest thing Ive seen popping up in the fishing market is the use of the term "JDM". About pee'd myself. I cant wait untill someone markets "Type R" fishing reels, or, a "GT-R" rod. Maybe a reel with a "blow off valve" noise between cranks will pop up.

On a serious note, I do realize that JDM is a ligitimate term, but the car industry has ruined it (at least for me they did).
Old 05-07-08, 01:06 PM   #6
Jim80

think of how technology has actually impacted fishing through the years , it used to be trail and error which brought you the knowledge of were to fish in any given area now it is fish finders and gps and graphs of the lake floor now i'm 27 and understand that is my generation that is making most of this stuff but if you took that equipment away from 90% of the anglers out there and told them to fish a huge lake how do you think they would do , could they hack it or would they cry for their gadgets ?
Jim80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 01:27 PM   #7
WTL

Jim, I think once they stopped worrying about their gadgets and started chunking they would do much better than they think. Probably would be a break in period, but anglers used to be sharper. My grandfather didn't even have a trolling motor, he did alright though.
Old 05-07-08, 01:36 PM   #8
Jim80

i don't think to many would have a major problem fishing after a small period of adjustment , for me you start adding fish finders and stuff like that it loses something i mean you could fill your swimming pool with bass and catch them there as well as anywhere but would it be the same ? but i also understand that some of the items are a must for a tornament where there is money on the line but for me as far as weekend fishing strictly low tech
Old 05-07-08, 01:49 PM   #9
WTL

For me, depth finders are probably more a safety item than a fishing tool. Well I do use them some, but the safety advantage is what is so great - know how deep it is when you are running the lake and stuff.

Same for high tech TMs. They don't catch fish. They make it a little easier to maneuver, which is a good thing, but they do nothing to hook a fish. I like those too.

GPS lets me know where I am should I get caught in fog. Good deal.

But a hypercast® titanium monkey rod with IM 12 graphite and power wall® technology and fuji® yellow thunder® guides catches fish just about as well as an ugly stick.
Old 05-07-08, 02:04 PM   #10
Jim80

you do have a point about the depth finder for saftey issues and fishing does relate back to skill rather then the gear you have but some stuff is just overkill thats all I'm saying , how about the shimano reel with a electronic braking system
Old 05-07-08, 02:31 PM   #11
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

You guys never give the main link between you and the fish any praise! “The hi-tech $0.50 HOOK”.
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 02:50 PM   #12
basstech

I agree with you Jim and Lilmoose, enough is enough. I have several Bantam xhs250's from the mid-80's, when magnetic spool control was the new great technology. Ended up popping the side plates off and removing all those little magnets. The "10" ball bearing as far as I can tell is also a bunch of B.S., although I think they count each of the individual pieces of the anti-reverse bearing as individual bearings as well, not really sure on that. But other than that and on either side of the spool post and where the drive shaft attaches to the frame. Well, maybe one on either side of the worm gear as well Ok, 7 tops, after that, it's B.S. All the Flipping switch crap and the like is just nonsense. That is why I got sold on the Old Shimano citica and curados and calcutta's. They are a damn good real reasonably priced and have lasted 14 or 15 years so far and are still super smooth and can cast beyond a reasonable hooksetting distance. Oh, with out all the additional B.S. Just keep in mind the more "gadgets" you have on a reel, the sooner it's going to fail. Just my opinion though.
Old 05-07-08, 02:52 PM   #13
WTL

Anybody remember the Abu 5600 AB?

You know, the one that came out in the late 90s with the anti backlash mechanism. That was a great reel. If you took the mechanism completly off the reel and threw it in the trash I mean. Then it was like a C3.

Actually the mechanism worked, it stopped backlashes, it also would stop your cast in mid flight unfortunatly.
Old 05-07-08, 03:10 PM   #14
Jim80

you just have to realize that a bunch of gadgets give people that false sense of prowess on the water your novice feels like a pro and so on which is why they sell so well it's all about marketing but in the end you just can't substitute for skill a kid that sits the bench wearing $50 shoes will sit the bench in $300 shoes same theroy applies to fishing
Old 05-07-08, 04:01 PM   #15
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Don't get me worng, I like good tackle, but anyone that syas their rod/lure will attract fish is full of doo. No rod, no line, no reel will catch fish, the fisherman presenting that bait will catch fish. To me it's all about presentation and tactics.

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 04:02 PM   #16
brushhog

My two cents = cast more; think less!

That being said, everybody is into different things. some guys are obsessed with their car, some of us just drive it and don't think about it...

Zook and Laser can talk motors all day, some of us know nothing.

Reel tech talk only interest me a little , but it doesn't bother me either...
Old 05-07-08, 04:04 PM   #17
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Sometimes we refer to those 'techno nerd reel geeks' as people with more dollars than sense.

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 04:36 PM   #18
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushhog View Post
My two cents = cast more; think less!

That being said, everybody is into different things. some guys are obsessed with their car, some of us just drive it and don't think about it...

Zook and Laser can talk motors all day, some of us know nothing.

Reel tech talk only interest me a little , but it doesn't bother me either...
Have your self a nice reel. I baught myself a pflueger supreme a couple of months ago. But i don't care about the hype of the reel. I care about fishing. That the diffrence.
Old 05-07-08, 06:43 PM   #19
keithdog

It kind of reminds me of photography. There is much to choose when it comes to quality camera gear. There is also a heck of a lot of hype. While there is a good reason to spend tons of cash on photo equipment, it realy depends on the objective. What the needs of the photographer are. I do a lot of landscape photography, and my choice of gear would be quite different from the guy who is trying to freeze an action shot at the Super Bowl for Sports Illistrated. Different needs require different gear. That being said, a camera is really just a box with a hole to let in light which developes into a photo. Great photos can be made with the simplist of camera gear. However, cheep camera gear will also limit you as to what you can shoot. It really all depends on needs and convenience. I have very good quality camera gear. Could I get by with lesser gear? Sure I could. However I wouldn't be able to achieve some of the shots I've taken without the gear I have. But with all that being said, I could enjoy myself in the great outdoors just as much with less expensive camera gear. It's the experience of the photo shoot which I enjoy, and which brings me into the woods with camera in hand. Take that out of the picture and even the most expensive gear won't bring the pleasurable experience I am looking for on a photo shoot. If very advanced and expensive fishing gear is what you need to accomplish your goals in fishing, or to be able to compete in competitive fishing, then that may well be the right choice for you. If however, your simply out to have to best and most expensive gear in order to feel better about yourself, then I think you've missed the whole point of fishing.

Last edited by keithdog; 05-07-08 at 06:53 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 06:51 PM   #20
Rebbasser

Amen, Moose.
Old 05-07-08, 07:29 PM   #21
fishin' fool

I agree alot of people do get hung up on equipment and not nearly enough on patterns and conditions. They think just because they have nice equipment the will be successful. To me nice equipment comes last. Learn the fish and its behavior and work good equipment into the equation later to enhance your fishing. I see alot of newbie's and people that watch any fishing show and try to duplicate what they just watched! Good fishin
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 07:48 PM   #22
Wishing2BFishing

Devil's Advocate . . .

Ok, I hear all of you complaining about the gadget geeks and I agree that some people take things too far . . . BUT, I would feel like a hypocrite if I joined in this rant. This is because I do take pleasure in purchasing some new lures and plastics every season. The reason why is because I love when I get "dialed in" and find that perfect presentation with the perfect lure and then fine tune things with the color. For me, this only happens sometimes. But when it does (and I am outfishing my buddy as he tries all kinds of different lures), I really feel like I "cracked the code" sort of speak. To me, this is one of the many rewarding facets of fishing.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 09:29 PM   #23
Bob Smith

I am, by no means, a "Gadget Geek" or "Techno Nerd" (although I have to chuckle a bit as we discuss this from our computer keyboards and monitors!). I appreciate a quality LCG because of the ability to isolate fish and baitfish from solid objects, and to be able to determine the thermocline in the warmer months. There is indeed a safety value as well, but for me it is the quality of the locating features that I relish.
As far as rod and reels, my most expensive rod (that I've paid for) is $150 and the reel around $125. That's certainly not expensive by today's standards. I bought that equipment because I had used someone's else's that was like it and found it suited a perfect niche in my arsenal.
As far GPS, not yet (maybe someday), even in the fog if it's too thick then I wouldn't chance it. Neither do the big T tournament directors, they will also delay a blast off till things are safe enough to "see". My neighbor and I was running Lake Allatoona the other night and he had eyes glued to the GPS. I had to grab the steering wheel and pull us to the left. HE shouted at me and asked what I was doing because could see where we were going on his GPS. I talked him into turning around and follow the GPS back at idle speed, then he realized he would have run into a reef marking pole had I have not grabbed the steering wheel when I did. Fortunately, I was "watching" where we were actually going while he was playing with the contraption.
Now as far as getting tired of the techno nerds and gadget guys, it doesn't bother me in the least. I just read a few post then go to a different thread.
Old 05-07-08, 10:31 PM   #24
bassinbob

Some people drive expensive cars and some drive peices of junk. It gets you there. When I first started bass fishing i used an ugly stick and a Mitchell 300. Everyone talked about baitcasters. I decided to use Shimano. I read around and bought St Croix premire rods. Read some more and bought a Kistler rod. Read some more and bought some Revo's. Most every rod and reel I bought was on sale or discounted. To me casting the Kistler all day is pure pleasure. I love the Revo's. I fish because I enjoy the challenge. I don't consider myself a geek or nerd. Ask me what I use a specific rod and reel for and I'll tell you. I admit I am somewhat swayed about certain items. But I guess you can enjoy leisure fishing with just about any equipment. Some just makes it better.
Old 05-07-08, 11:01 PM   #25
Fish2win

Most lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish. I guess that goes for rods and reels also. Back in the day that Mitchell 300 was the bomb. That is untill the dam quick came along. The bottom line is the fish dont read. They dont care what kind of boat you have or what kind of equipment you use.I have an old freind that fishes the FLW. He used to fish the BASS.He is a fishing machine. He usually brings everything he needs in a small paper bag.Fish2win

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.