Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-08, 12:15 AM   #26
backinthesaddle
BassFishin.Com Member

I fished lake Allatoona with my granddad growing up and all he had was a 12' aluminum boat with a 20hp merc. a flasher depth finder and a thermos full of black coffee. I cought more fish with him than in any other boat I've been in.
My brother in-law bought a gambler that would run 80mph+ did nothing but scare the crap outa me! give me an old Mitchel and a old abu and I'll be just fine. oh yeah don't forget old faithful bomber model-A black and chrome.
backinthesaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 09:13 AM   #27
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I believe it was Woo Daves that won a BASS tournament 20 ys ago using a Zebco 808. I have to admit i used a silver Zebco 33 in my Redman Day's.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 09:35 AM   #28
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
I fished lake Allatoona with my granddad growing up and all he had was a 12' aluminum boat with a 20hp merc. a flasher depth finder and a thermos full of black coffee. I cought more fish with him than in any other boat I've been in.
My brother in-law bought a gambler that would run 80mph+ did nothing but scare the crap outa me! give me an old Mitchel and a old abu and I'll be just fine. oh yeah don't forget old faithful bomber model-A black and chrome.
If I ever get my boat back from the shop we'll have to hook up and go fishing! I live over near the Vulcan Materials Quarry on GA-20, about 3 miles east of I-75!
Old 05-08-08, 09:59 AM   #29
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

All my fishin buddies have bought the new lowrance color LCR depth finder with GPS. I fish 6 TVA lakes . They are large lakes. I have fished them for 45 years. I dont think I will get lost. I know the shallow spots and I know how to find the humps. Why do I need a GPS. I do like the color LCR. It makes it easier for these old eyes to read, especially at night. The GPS might show you where you have been but how about other boats in the fog, Fish2win
Old 05-08-08, 11:12 AM   #30
Nonpoint
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Nonpoint

I don't have any fancy goodies, I use mostly spinning reels because I've gotten some nice ones pretty cheap...I bought a cheaper baitcaster once and it was a piece of ****. I'd say that the total of my reels and rods are less than some guys spend on 1 combo.

I dropped 3K on a used 1990 basstracker 17 foot mod v with a 60hp johnson. I can go all of the places and catch all of the same fish and I do as the guys with 80K worth of crap. I do love asking them how much they paid and telling them how much I paid and comparing the days catch.

The only time I see these guys with massive amounts of sonar equipment have an advantage is when fishing certain Illinois locations that have been basically raped and pillaged by the scumbags around here. They can use that gear to locate the 50 fish in the 6 mile radius lakes while I'm busy catch stick bass.
Nonpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 01:31 PM   #31
islandbass

What's with all the hate for Technology? I am more in line with Brush hog's sentiments, but why is there a feeling of angst and disgust for those that prefer to fish with the latest and the greatest?

I'm a minimalist myself when it comes to fishing and prefer function over form, but I won't look with disdain at those who feel they "have to have" the latest and the greatest. That is their prerogative and why should you care? Afraid it "takes away" from the fishing experience? Once again, who cares? Then don't fish from a boat either. Don't drive to the lake. Why not walk then?

If they flaunt such items in your face, just smile and outfish them with what you have. That would speak in greater volumes in saying, "In your face!" without a single spoken word.

Technological advancements are a natural progression. It is our nature to tackle things (pardon the pun) and try to improve them. And while it cannot be stopped, only you can choose to not partake in using the implements created by it.

If you're sentiment is so anti-technology then I propose that you put your reels, artificial lures, and graphite rods away and grab a woven chord (nope, no monofilament, because it took technological advances to make it in the first place) and I'll grant you a metal hook (even a tempered hook was made via technology, else you'd have a hook with the strength of a paper clip) to give you a sporting chance and fish with your hands as the rod and drag.

It is actually a blast to fish this way.

Lastly without technology, none of us would have this forum. For those that yearn for the agrarian days, please step to through the left gate.

By the way, I am not directing this at any particular person.

-ib
Old 05-08-08, 02:21 PM   #32
Lilmoosecountry

It not so much technology. Itz idiot posers who don't fish & Contribute about ther latest Finacial conquest. There only Crontribution to the fourm is copying an ownwers manual word for word & how much they spent. Most of these clowns probably could'nt rig a dang Texas rigged worm.
Old 05-08-08, 02:24 PM   #33
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Gee Lilmoose, who are you talking about? haha...
Old 05-08-08, 02:37 PM   #34
Lilmoosecountry

WTL there are few here. There are allot at BPS fourms. You know the type. (I baught the new POSER 880 with 50 ballbearings. It has a 5 speed automatic it can shift it alaway to 10/1. I won't test how well i caught fish or tell you what bait i used because i don't have any. I only post here to brag about how much money i spend) Worthless info that means nothing if your not catching fish.
Old 05-08-08, 02:37 PM   #35
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmoosecountry View Post
It not so much technology. Itz idiot posers who don't fish & Contribute about ther latest Finacial conquest. There only Crontribution to the fourm is copying an ownwers manual word for word & how much they spent. Most of these clowns probably could'nt rig a dang Texas rigged worm.

Yup, I'm new here and I've noticed it.
My tackle Pen*S is <-----------------------------------------------> this big.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 03:38 PM   #36
Jim80

i have to agree that is is not so much about the technology i mean there are certain things that i could not go through the day with out like my ipod with 9000 songs at my finger tips or yes the computers we all use to talk to each other from across the country
i was just saying that some people use stuff like that as i crutch and to tell the truth i enjoy fish of the bank as much as do fishing of a boat it just presents a different challange a makes your spot selection all the more important but thats just me .. also Ive always enjoyed fishing with good company like my dad , brother , sons , and friends , it has always given us a relaxed envirorment to spend time with the people you care about and the fish well thats kinda the iceing on the cake
Old 05-08-08, 03:40 PM   #37
islandbass

Quote:
That's cool. Just don't let folks that do this bother you. It isn't worth your time nor the mental energy spent to give such thoughts credance, weight, or validity.

I see the posers out there myself which is why I said to show them by outcatching them. These folks commonly get outfished by the kids with ugly sticks and spin cast reels anyway.
Old 05-08-08, 04:52 PM   #38
Wishing2BFishing

Quote:
Just curious, what is a texas rigged worm? Do they sell texas rigged worms pre-rigged?
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 06:09 PM   #39
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Yes, they do sell pre-rigged Texas-Rigs, but the worm is about good as a wrench if you had to pound a nail. My two cents, buy five or ten basic, (green pumpkin, black, watermelon seed, black/blue, etc.), color packs of worms/craws and Texas-Rig them yourself.

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 06:49 PM   #40
Wishing2BFishing

Buzz, I am just being sarcastic (regarding my texas rig post), although I am somewhat amazed to know that they actually sell pre-rigged texas rigged worms.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 08:24 PM   #41
Rebbasser

All I want is gear that works. A couple of weeks ago my TM bit the dust so I had to replace it. Top of the line? Nope. A good, dependable TM? Absolutely.

I use a handheld GPS unit I mount on the console and it serves the purpose quite well. Finding an offshore hump is a lot easier to find using it, but do I need a combo unit with side scan sonar? Nope.

Just give me gear that is dependable and works.
Old 05-08-08, 09:28 PM   #42
Captmikestarrett

When can I sit down?

I am tired of standing..

Capt Mike
Old 05-08-08, 10:04 PM   #43
WTL

Reb, thats what I'm talking about.

I can remember the days when I lusted after the Tr 21s. I didn't pay for gas then. I wanted every lure, I wanted to know all the techniques, I wanted to be a pro tourney angler cause that was what a successful fisherman supposedly was.

Now I pay for gas. I buy my tackle. I decide where to fish. And I don't want what I wanted then. I prefer the enjoyment of 1 bass caught on topwater to 5 caught drop shotting. I like to be able to fish lakes all day without seeing a soul, and without a soul seeing me. When asked how I did by a fellow at the ramp instead of bragging I talk in generalities, either "I did ok" or "its slow out there" will suffice. The TV shows and new names they lend to all sorts of techniques, patterns and ideas all give me a bit of a headache. Give me my propbait, give me my spinnerbait and leave me to my own devices. It is now about self discovery and the discovery of God's earth, what he has put in it. It is not about me, my skill, my tackle or the false idea that I have any talent whatseover.

Like everyone I sometimes have moments where I succumb to my own vanity, and indulge in talking tackle, skill, or bragging about things I should take no credit for. These are moments in time that I would be much better off fishing.
Old 05-08-08, 10:08 PM   #44
brushhog

WTL- That is exactly why and how I fish... Thanks for putting it so clearly and succinctly... I know jut how little skill I have, but i also know that the last two times out I've watched a huge Canadian goose sitting on it's nest and watched it's partner chase of a couple of other geese... I saw and appreciated those things with a canoe full of inexpensive gear and no fish for the day. it was still a beautiful day with my son...
Old 05-08-08, 11:05 PM   #45
backinthesaddle
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
If I ever get my boat back from the shop we'll have to hook up and go fishing! I live over near the Vulcan Materials Quarry on GA-20, about 3 miles east of I-75!
We are reel close. I'm in great sky just north of canton on 140.would love to go fishing. I'm now laughing at myself cuz I'm looking at a 17' fish and ski.
loaded and a good deal. ( I hope! ) Wife doesn't know yet though.
backinthesaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 11:32 PM   #46
Jim80

well put wtl that def sums up a lot of thoughts and brushhog man it is sometimes the little things of the trip that a child will single out and remember my 7 year doesn't remember the bass he caught on the first trip out this year but he does remember the two water snakes that were hanging out on a rock 10 feet away catching the midday sun and if he does mention it it is always almost a side note .
Old 05-09-08, 10:36 AM   #47
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i'm with capt mike, can i sit down yet?
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 10:43 AM   #48
Lilmoosecountry

YEPP I'm Done!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.