Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-06, 10:27 PM   #1
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Fishing Weakness

Often tournament pros are asked what their angling strengths and weaknesses are.

My weaknesses include: Never having a camera or partner when I land huge fish, a leaky boat, and only being able to spend a small percentage of my income on fishing tackle.

Seriously, my biggest weakness is any type of slow fishing. It's easier to fish slow around wood and other pinpoint areas, but I hate to do it across a large flat.

Please post yours. If you are too great to have a weakness don't bother responding, just chuckle at our inferiority.
Patrick Krueger, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-06, 10:42 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Structure fishing, boat positioning, patterning, poor at fishing in strong wind, poor concentration, overall lack of funds to shore up deficiencies in tackle.
Old 01-09-06, 10:43 PM   #3
NCYankee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Definitely, fishing slow. I started bass fishing last spring when the bite was on. Even now that it is winter, I have a hard time fishing slow. I also don't mind fishing specific structure/cover slowly when I know the fish are there, but if I don't know they are there, I have little patience. I need a seasoned pro to take me under his wing and show me the art of slow winter fishing.

As far as strengths, I've learned to not rely on confidence baits. My second largest bass of the year was on a lipless crank. It was only the second time I had used one, and the first bass I ever caught on one. That definitely showed me that I should not rely only on a few lures.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-06, 11:44 PM   #4
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

jigs are a weakness but using topwater too often is probably my biggest weakness. I LOVE going after a huge blowup on the top of the water, ain't nothing more exciting than that to me and as a result I find myself fishing topwaters when I should really be fishing deep.
Old 01-10-06, 01:23 AM   #5
KenDammit

mentally slowing down is my biggest weakness. Too often, I will not take the time to consider conditions, cover, structure, those types of things properly. I'm sure that it makes me miss several fish. I just get in a hurry to actually catch the fish that I don't put myself in the absolute best position to do so. Another hard thing for me to do is slow fishing, as well. I'm very much a spinnerbait guy, so it takes a lot of focus for me to slow down to fish anything slower than you'd fish soft plastics on a summer day, lol. What I want to work on is pattern fishing. I find myself catching a fish a certain way or in a certain type of spot, and instead of focusing on that until its not really working, I'll be doing something else.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-06, 09:19 AM   #6
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

Im Pretty Decent At Fishing Slow I Hate To Do It But I Do If Its Whats Working. But My Biggest Weakness Is Crankbaits I Have Hundreds Of The Little Sons Of Bit**** But I Never Fished Them When I Was Younger. I Know How To From Reading About Them But I Dont Seem To Know When Ever I Fish Them. I Mean I Am Seriously A Very Poor Crankbaiter.
Old 01-10-06, 01:06 PM   #7
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

Crankbaiting is my specialty, I've always felt they may be too easy, as though I wasn't so much a great fisherman, but the lures were so easy to use that any clown could catch 'em with one. I like letting the kids I fish with use them, 'cause kids like to make tons of casts and just reel them in. Crankbaits are tailor-made for youngsters.

Until 2005 I never did well with spinnerbaits, now I have alot of confidence in them.
Patrick Krueger, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-06, 05:23 PM   #8
Dyas

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

My weaknesses are being tempted to change lures after little action, and wrong lure or color selection which has gotten better in the past year.... Crankbait fishin is another weakness of mine. I can catch a bass on soft plastics at any time any day of the year. But I have only caught maybe 3 or 4 fish on a crankbait in my life.
Old 01-10-06, 05:45 PM   #9
lovinfishin9

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

fishing really slow is hard for me, patterning, and always wanting to buy more tackle lol.
Old 01-10-06, 06:41 PM   #10
pig n jig

Knowing enough to pick and move from the spot where there are girls sunbathing in skimpy clothes.I know there isn't any fish there, but do you think I can just pick up and leave ? Seriously, I have a difficult time when I cannot get a jig bite. I can catch fish , but I struggle knowing where to find the bigger fish when they are feeding on baitfish.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-06, 06:43 PM   #11
bass kicker

using jerk baits and using jig n pigs and over lack of knowledge i always can know more
Old 01-10-06, 06:54 PM   #12
zooker

pnj
late june i will teach you.

mine would be pnj.. some thing to work on this year..

zooker
Old 01-10-06, 10:21 PM   #13
lizardsrule

Everything needs working on. I just keep practicing by going fishing as much as I can.

Lizards
Old 01-11-06, 12:41 AM   #14
bassinbob

I need work on pitching and flipping. Other areas came along nicly last year. Learning to use the graph a little better. Patience when using a jig. And it seems a little more work on boat handling.

Bob
Old 01-11-06, 02:26 AM   #15
WIbassfisherman

Weaknesses: Trying to apply everything from a co-angler positions (don' town a boat--until April that is).
Carolina rigging. Spoon fishing. And of course getting better at every other techniquie I "think" I have a handle on.
WIbassfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-06, 04:19 AM   #16
islandbass

Mine is not fishing enough and casting in the garage or cul de sac might maintain some skills but it is a poor substitute for being on the water.

With regard to baits, spinnerbaits and buzzbaits are my downfall. Regardless of retrieve methods I employ, I'm batting 0 for infinity.

Also, not having a boat to get to where I think they are. Local lakes have extremely limited shore access. After all, you can't catch them if you're casting where they aren't.
Old 01-11-06, 11:04 AM   #17
Boltzie

My weakness is having to work all week and not being able to fish as much as I would like.

Seriously tho, my biggest weekness has to be crankbaits. I can fish them and I can catch some fish on them, but they're just not a confidence bait for me.

Scott
Boltzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-06, 02:41 PM   #18
HuckFinn

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn

I move to often, change lures to often fish to fast.
Worms, buzz, spiners, I use all ok not great but ok.
Can not use cranks. I guess because I gave up on them growing up. I would always get hung up and lose them. So I moved to worms and stick baits.
Got ahold of some lure reterivers and will give them a try with the cranks. Perhaps if I don't lose them so often I'll get better.
also like frogs and rats in the weeds.
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-06, 06:13 PM   #19
bass kicker

i need to replace the back of my little boat almost lost my motor thats my boats weakness atleast my small boats
Old 01-11-06, 06:24 PM   #20
JB

"This looks like a good spot" is probably a common weakness in most.
I have found over the years if you are preoccupied with other matters like work or family problems, your fishing game is going to suffer.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-06, 06:57 PM   #21
pig n jig

Boltzie, Is that really you ? Holy Cow, you have been gone a long time. Welcome back Scott. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-06, 06:59 PM   #22
WTL

Yea first Senior shows up, then Boltizie...whose next, Magombo Man?
Old 01-11-06, 11:45 PM   #23
Boltzie

Thanks for the welcome back guys. Yea, it's been a long time. Haven't been on all summer due to fishing every little bit of free time I had.

Still fishing as much as I can even tho it's winter (or so it's supposed to be) here in Wisconsin. Heading up to the powerplant lake this weekend for some open water fishing for bass and stripers. Also might do some crappie fishing on the river here since the ice has gone back off due to the warm spell we've had. Already looking forward to spring!!!

Scott
Boltzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-06, 12:05 AM   #24
Futurepro22

Send a message via AIM to Futurepro22

strengths: Frogs, fishing slow, topwaters

weakness: crankin, spinnerbaits
Futurepro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-06, 12:34 AM   #25
Rebbasser

Dang, the cat is working overtime dragging people back! How you doing, Boltzie?

Weakness-fishing offshore structure.

Strength-weightless soft plastics.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.