Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 09-29-11, 12:17 AM   #1
b.a.s.17
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default 200hp vs 250hp

My dad and I were fishing today and we saw a guy who was fishing a 2002 skeeter with and 250 and my dad made a comment about how bad that must be on mpg. I said it cann't get much worse than his 200 merc efi and we debatd for a lil while. So my question is how much wore is a 250 engine on gas than a 200?
b.a.s.17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-11, 07:27 AM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Not something written in stone,depends upon each model if 2 stroke or 4 stroke how its run what rpm level and what on.
EFI,DFI,carbs etc,weight and length of boat,age of motor,larger cubic inches dont drink as much as they used to,yet smaller 4 bangers drink more also weigh a lot more than 20 years ago.Compare the 5mpg for a johnson fast strike from 1980 to those of a brand new ho etec it will surprise you,the smaller engines dont get as good as back then,as main difference more eco friendly and 100 pds heavier.
About the most thirsty is a merc verado of any hp,each mfg of engines has online stats,but those are guidelines .
Strap a motor on a different hull even within the bass world ten mph difference in speed to less than 3mpg.
A merc 150 xs with torque master and 1.62 gearing isnt well suited for a ranger(1800 pds) so wasted and would get worse milage and actual speed than a yammer with 2/1 gr
And if that 250 is newer on a hull suited for it ,can get as good or better gas milage than an older efi,nothing set in stone unless one believes mfg stats cross each and every hull type,and all boats run same pitch prop at same speed with the same motor,they dont.
Example my 1990 allison with a 1977 omc xflow 140 hp can travel 44-45 miles each way for a round trip of 89-92 miles on 20 gal of gas,with enough umph to get back on trailer ,at 43-46 mph,normally mid throttle ranges get best gas milage.Now how far can your 225 efi go on 20 gal.
Something like a ,merc 280 which is a very high strung high end high maintenance motor doing high rpms attempting to set the world speed record,about ten miles.
In all fairness to the newer motors eco friendly and added weight dont make for a better gas mileage,my 140 as first year of mfg weighs 297 pds,compare that to a modern 120 hp.Just about any 115 hp old omc will or can get 5 mpg in cruise,nowdays its 200-250 hp that getting better gas mileage in many cases. a 380lb 4 cyl just doesnt have the hp to weight ratio that a 250 500 lb one does,some of those do get like 4 to 5 mpg,150 hp -110 nowdays suck gas,and at best get no better than say a 150,most getting getting between 3-4,none over 4,if so barely.
A brand new 115 ho(about same actual hp 122 AT PROP) would get better gas mileage at idle than my old motor,yet have a lower speed 32-36mph to get same milage,at higher speeds 43-46MPH wouldnt make it all the way back.

Last edited by lilmule; 09-29-11 at 07:57 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-11, 11:15 AM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

What motor was the guys 250? I would be willing to bet that it probably gets better mileage than your dads EFI. EFIs are good motors but they are gas hogs, or at least I am yet to hear of one that isn't.
Old 09-29-11, 04:19 PM   #4
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

my old 200 merc efi wasnt bad after i got done propping it and driving it aorund 50 mph give or take. got a hair over 4. now at 72 mph....different story
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-11, 11:00 PM   #5
b.a.s.17
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It was the yamaha vmax 3.1L and under that it said fuel injection. In general what would be the ideal speed for better mpgs?
b.a.s.17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 12:04 AM   #6
TN_Bassin

Half to 3/4 throttle in my experience
Old 09-30-11, 12:18 AM   #7
bassboogieman

Isn't that an oxymoron or something - Bass boat and fuel efficiency? Most guys don't buy a big rig and 225+ HP then worry about MPG - I know I didn't. I bought mine to go fast, and to go fast means burning fuel, so be it.

As to best speed resulting in best MPG, it would be better to ask what RPM results in best MPG, and that will vary by brand and the prop being turned. Generally, I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 4000 - 4200 RPM after getting on plane and trimed out would result in the best fuel economy, but the only time my outboard sees 4200 RPM is on the way to 5800.

Oh how I wish my boat would handle a 300HP
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 01:21 AM   #8
TN_Bassin

Well you gotta remember that the trend is to go from gas guzzlers to sippers...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.