Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-09, 06:58 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Crankbait reel question

Right now I am using two Garcia Abu C3 baitcasters for fishing my crankbaits. They are great reels, but after 20 years or so of using them I'd like to replace them. They don't give me the casting distance I want with smaller cranks. Plus I really have gotten to love the low profile style reels now as they fit my smaller size hands better. I know in the past there are several guys in here who have said they really like the BPS David Fritts baitcaster for fishing cranks. I'm just wanting to know if you still like the David Fritts baitcaster or is there another reel you would suggest for fishing crankbaits? There are several good reels I could choose, but most of them have a gear ratio of 6.3:1 or higher, and I prefer a lower ratio reel for fishing crankbaits, especially the larger ones. One other question, for those who do like the David Fritts reel, would you prefer the 4.7:1 ratio or the 5.2:1 ratio?
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 07:46 PM   #2
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

E5. As for gear ratio, you can't go by that alone. Compare the actual line recovery rate. The BPS catalog can tell you this. Case in point. A burner curado E7 with a 7.x:1 huffs in 30" per handle revolution. A symetre sports a 6.2:1 ratio, a "lower" ratio pulls in 35" per handle revolution. The latter reel with a lower gear actually recovers more line.

Yes, it is an apples to oranges comparison, but it does illustrate the point that it serves you better to look at the line recovery rate as opposed to the gear ratio.

I think I would choose the E5.
Old 07-27-09, 08:09 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
E5. As for gear ratio, you can't go by that alone. Compare the actual line recovery rate. The BPS catalog can tell you this. Case in point. A burner curado E7 with a 7.x:1 huffs in 30" per handle revolution. A symetre sports a 6.2:1 ratio, a "lower" ratio pulls in 35" per handle revolution. The latter reel with a lower gear actually recovers more line.

Yes, it is an apples to oranges comparison, but it does illustrate the point that it serves you better to look at the line recovery rate as opposed to the gear ratio.

I think I would choose the E5.
Thats a good point about line recovery! Point well taken. Took a look at the Curado E and it looks like a great reel for what I need, especially the 21 inch line recovery. But at $180.00 it is unfortunately too expensive right now. Unless BPS runs a great sale on it soon.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 08:40 PM   #4
woody

Keith, I have the 4.7 Fritts reel and its a great reel for cranking and for throwing those smaller cranks. A great reel for the money. Casts a mile.

Cons- the reels 2 and 3/8 inch tall profile is a handful to palm comfortably, now that I know how much more comfortable Abu's Revo Winches are. Still an excellent cranking reel.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 08:43 PM   #5
islandbass

Keith,

I hear that on ebay you can find them for as low as $150.00. One thing I like about curados is that they will be able to also cast your lighter cranks fairly well, even one that is 3/16 oz. Can't promise you anything on the lure's aerodynamics though.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.