Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-07, 07:18 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Lefty Reels

Since I grew up on left handed reels (and since I look like an idiot trying to reel a right-handed reel) I think more companies should make Left handed models.

That's one reason why I go with Daiwa or Abu Garcia fo rmy baitcasters is because they offer left handed model on most reels. some companies that should make left handed reels are like Browning, Plfueger, Quantum, not all Shimanos come in a left handed model, and a lot of the BPS reels are onyl right handed.

Another thing is when companies make like a normal reel, a highspeed version and say a high line cap version and only male the normal version in left handed. I think they would sell more reel if they offered their full line in both right and left handed models.

BB
Old 12-12-07, 07:34 PM   #2
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Since I grew up on left handed reels (and since I look like an idiot trying to reel a right-handed reel) I think more companies should make Left handed models.

That's one reason why I go with Daiwa or Abu Garcia fo rmy baitcasters is because they offer left handed model on most reels. some companies that should make left handed reels are like Browning, Plfueger, Quantum, not all Shimanos come in a left handed model, and a lot of the BPS reels are onyl right handed.

Another thing is when companies make like a normal reel, a highspeed version and say a high line cap version and only male the normal version in left handed. I think they would sell more reel if they offered their full line in both right and left handed models.

BB

AMEN BROTHER!!!!
in lefty's i have several-as in 5- pflugher trions,2 diawa advantages,2 bps extremes,and a quantum energy.

i was forced to go lefty after tearing tendions and ligaments in my left wrist.
i blame bassnforcer for turning me to the left side. though i could never figure out how to cast his ambassadors like he does.. i have found that lefty reels take a differant hand position than my right handers. see below.

lefty grip

righty grip

zooker
Old 12-12-07, 07:49 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Now is this true or not? (it's just what I've heard)

Most people cast with their good hand and then switch the rod to their other hand and reel with their good hand.

My dad does this because he is left handed, he casts with his left and, then reel with his left hand. And because I am right handed I don't have to switch hands after I cast because I grew up on lefty reels.

BB
Old 12-12-07, 11:31 PM   #4
zooker

i cast right handed and reel with which ever reel rod switching if a righty reel is on it..

zooker
Old 12-13-07, 03:03 PM   #5
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

False or partially true.

False cuz there´s a big bunch of old farts like me who switch hands ( casting right, reeling in right ) just because when we began fishing with baitcasters they were only manufactured in righty. You wanted a baitcaster ? you could choose righty or ......... righty !

Why is it that many manufacturers still offer first righty reels, well sorry guyz they are not targeted for the younger generation, they are targeted to us.

How old are you ? well if you were born after 1980-85 then you can choose between righty or lefty.

When you began fishing ? if you began fishing around 1984 you could choose between righty or wait for that rare and ocassional lefty that appeared in the market, but before that you were scrwd, righty or righty.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 03:40 PM   #6
tntitans21399
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to tntitans21399 Send a message via Yahoo to tntitans21399

If you look around but I know most spinning reels you can switch the handles.
tntitans21399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 04:50 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Raul, I am only 16, so I guess that means I'm allowed to choose.

titans, Yes, spinning reel are changable.

BB
Old 12-13-07, 07:26 PM   #8
3dkicker

.....and if you really go back you had to reach across the reel to push the thumbbar with your left hand while holding the rod in your right and the spool with your right thumb. (Crap! I must be really old then.)

I use left and right hand models and that helps on the wear and tear on the shoulders and wrists. Right handed for the topwaters and cranks, left handed for the jigs, plastics, and spinnerbaits. I normally cast right handed but will cast left handed if I need to.

I was unhappy that Abu Garcia didn't make a left handed model for the Torno series.
Old 12-13-07, 09:52 PM   #9
BigBassin144

I've tried fishing right handed, but I reel a lot slower and it's somehoe harder for me. When we go musky fishing I use my dad's old Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5500. Which of course if right handed.

I'm getting the Ambassadeur made exclusively for cabela's thing spring in a lefty version for musky fishing this year.

BB
Old 12-16-07, 03:15 PM   #10
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I cast and reel equally well righty or lefty, but I prefer to cast lefty and reel right handed.

Being able to cast effectively with both hands gives me alot more options particularly when I'm working structure.
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-07, 03:56 PM   #11
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
False or partially true.

False cuz there´s a big bunch of old farts like me who switch hands ( casting right, reeling in right ) just because when we began fishing with baitcasters they were only manufactured in righty. You wanted a baitcaster ? you could choose righty or ......... righty !
Same here.I started before going online was a solution to buying fishing gear and the local tackle shop owners bought right handed reels exclusively, for fear of getting rid of left hand models.

Its the best thing that ever happened to me, the left hand models weren't that great back then, compared to the right handed models that were available. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-07, 10:48 AM   #12
BigBassin144

I still think they should make a better selection of left hand reels.

BB
Old 12-17-07, 06:22 PM   #13
Fish2win

I switched to all left hand reels several years ago. It means more cast per day. No changeing hands speeds things up. I use Corados and before that Shamano Banton Mags. I also use Ambassador reels . Quantums come left handed but the Corado is a way smother reel. Fish2win
Old 12-17-07, 06:50 PM   #14
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntitans21399 View Post
If you look around but I know most spinning reels you can switch the handles.
Dude you even weren´t around when the only spinning reels available were lefty, just like bc reels were only righty there used to be a time when spinning reels were only lefty.
Old 12-18-07, 08:55 AM   #15
BigBassin144

My dad has a couple of left hand only spinning reels. but Most of his are old shakspeares.
Old 12-18-07, 09:31 PM   #16
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
My dad has a couple of left hand only spinning reels. but Most of his are old shakspeares.
See what I´m saying, that only proves that I´m getting old !

Old enough to not only remember lefty only spinning reels but also old enough to owning one.
Old 12-18-07, 10:18 PM   #17
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
See what I´m saying, that only proves that I´m getting old !

Old enough to not only remember lefty only spinning reels but also old enough to owning one.
raul
i have a fplugher "akron" bait caster that is lefty.. proof they made them in the late 50's..

zooker
Old 12-23-07, 12:40 AM   #18
Fish2win

The most popular all time spinning reel is the Mitchell 300. It was a lefty only.I own a couple. Noisy, heavy but they work great still. I rarely use one but the 5.1 ratio is great for spring cranking when using small baits. They was state of the art in the 60's. Fish2win
Old 12-26-07, 05:29 PM   #19
Lilmoosecountry

I use to love my old left handed Bantoms.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.