Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-12, 06:26 PM   #26
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

sounds like he is one tough old brid. keeping you and your family in my thoughts
Old 07-03-12, 10:30 AM   #27
MississippiBoy

Thanks for all the prayers again, guys. There's nothing major to report right now. Uncle Guy is hanging on, no big changes, no major problems. They're just waiting on his body to fight back and recover.
Here's a couple of updates his granddaughter gave on his CaringBridge site:

Written Jul 1, 2012 6:16pm by Jodi Darnell

Another update for today..... Papaw is still sedated and stable. He was given lasix but he is still holding fluids. The nurse reported he has no fever and his white count is good. He still has the chest tube but the drainage is decreasing.

Once again, thank you to everyone for all the prayers for Papaw and us. This has been a long and tough week, but we have felt your prayers and I know Papaw has as well. Please continue.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Written July 2 by Emily Darnell Cade

Well, today marks one week since Papaw's accident. He has had 3 surgeries so far and one more (that we know of) to go. The thoughts, calls, well-wishes, visits and most of all the PRAYERS have been felt and appreciated!

Papaw had a stable night. He required some extra pain medication but no extra sedation, but that was probably due to the fact that they bathed him and changed his dressings. His heart rate is still up, so they increased his medication. That didn't help, so they have increased his fluids and started him on Heparin. Hopefully, that will be all he needs to correct that. Also, it doesn't look like his surgery will be today.

Please continue to keep Papaw in your thoughts and prayers.
Old 07-03-12, 12:43 PM   #28
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

thanks daniel. please keep us updated on him. i feel it won't be long till he is back out there in his garden. maybe not this year. but next year for sure. praying for him.
Old 07-06-12, 08:37 AM   #29
MississippiBoy

Another update on Uncle Guy. He's had a setback or two....

"Its been a little while since I gave an update but a good bit has happened in the last 24 hours. Dad's progress has kind of stalled over the past couple of days. He is still stable but very uncomfortable when his sedation is discontinued and they have been unable to get him off the vent.

We found out today that one of our fears has been realized in that he has developed ventilator associated pneumonia which is a potentially serious complication. They are treating it aggressively with antibiotics and he is scheduled to have a tube installed in his right lung to drain fluid from it. They are also making one more attempt to get him off mechanical ventilation but this new complication more than likely means he will undergo a tracheostomy tomorrow and continue ventilation through a tube surgically placed through the front of his neck. He will also likely get a PEG at the same time which is a feeding tube placed through his abdominal wall. They are also discussing moving him at some point to a long-term acute care facility to continue his recovery."
Old 07-06-12, 07:17 PM   #30
bamabassman

dang.....will double up on the prayers daniel. keep us posted ok?
Old 07-06-12, 10:17 PM   #31
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I am praying for him Daniel. That man had an angel on his shoulder.
Old 07-06-12, 10:30 PM   #32
Bassboss

Not sure how I missed this before Daniel.

Sorry to hear about the accident. If he's as tough as you say, I know he'll hang tough and make it out of this. Will certainly pray for him, hope he does well.
Old 07-06-12, 10:36 PM   #33
carolina-rig-01

Sorry to hear about great uncle Guys setbacks. I pray that they get it taken care of and he starts getting better daily.
Old 07-12-12, 08:52 AM   #34
MississippiBoy

Uncle Guy has been doing better. Here's the latest 2 updates on him:

This is from Tuesday:

"PRAISE GOD FROM WHOM ALL BLESSINGS FLOW! PAPAW IS OFF THE VENT, and the machine has been moved out of his room!!!!!! He still has the trach collar. He is opening his eyes on request and on his own. All wounds look good , but they are planning on doing a wound care procedure on Thursday. He is showing some discomfort when coughing which is understandable and expected. His bp and pulse are good! He has made much progress in the last few days, and we give all honor and praise to our Heavenly Father! To God be the glory, great things He has done!"

And this is last night:

"Today was a great day! Papaw is more alert, even to the point of getting frustrated because he can't sit up and talk. His pulse and blood pressure are still good. He has been off the vent for about 2 days and doing well. He is going to have a wound treatment tomorrow, but the skin grafts will be done at a later date. There is talk of moving him to the long term acute care facility on Monday, but we should know more After his procedure tomorrow."
Old 07-12-12, 11:50 AM   #35
bassboogieman

Great news, but we can't stop now. Keepin' 'em goin' 'till he's home. Don't ya just love apostrophies?
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 12:16 PM   #36
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Great news, but we can't stop now. Keepin' 'em goin' 'till he's home. Don't ya just love apostrophies?
Amen to that.
I love apostrophies. We have an abundance of 'em down here, since we never put the "g" on the end of our "ing" words. We're not "trying" to do something, we're "tryin'." Also, "y'all" is extremely common, as is "fixin' to."
Old 07-12-12, 01:43 PM   #37
carolina-rig-01

Very good news Daniel, glad to hear he is doing so well. We will continue to keep all of you and Great Uncle Guy in our prayers.
Old 07-17-12, 12:18 PM   #38
MississippiBoy

Some more updates on Uncle Guy. He had to have the rest of his toes on that foot amputated, because they wouldn't ever be functional again from all the damage to his foot. He has a good bit of pain from that, and add the fact that he's going stir crazy from being confined for so long, plus the fact that he can't talk due to the trach in his throat, and he's still too weak to hold a pencil well enough to write.......needless to say, he's pretty frustrated. My cousin says that they should've been learning how to lip-read. But at least he's alert and cognizant enough to BE frustrated, so that's actually a very good indication that he's getting better.They're talking about moving him out of the ICU into a long-term acute care facility.
Here is a funny story my cousin shared the other day:
" Praise the Lord we got his C-collar off this morning!! It was put on at the scene as a precaution and we have not been able to get it off for three weeks now and it was driving dad crazy. They gave him a little test before they could take it off. One of the questions they asked him was who is the president. The look on his face was priceless! His nurse said, "You don't want to say that word do you?" and he shook his head 'no'.
That's my Uncle Guy.....
Old 07-17-12, 01:16 PM   #39
carolina-rig-01

I am sorry to hear they had to amputate the rest of his toes. But hopefully we will be in the fast lane to recovery now. You all are still in our prayers.
Old 07-17-12, 01:55 PM   #40
Bassboss

That man sounds like a fighter if their ever was one... tough ol bull dog!

It's great to hear he's doing well!
Old 08-04-12, 12:46 PM   #41
MississippiBoy

It's been a couple weeks since my last update, so I figured it was about time to say something. He's doing better, but still struggling. They fitted him with a speaking valve for his trach, so he can communicate a lot easier now.

------------------------------------------------------
Written Jul 27, 2012 8:28am by kim darnell

Its been kind of a roller coaster the past couple of days. They actually stood Dad up at the bedside on Wednesday. Yesterday was another matter. For whatever reason he was nauseated a good part of the day and his heart rate spiked. Had to put him on IV heart medication and didn't get much accomplished in therapy. He really is doing pretty well but he is getting a little discouraged with the slow pace. Please pray for his emotional and mental strength as well as his physical strength. He is really relying on the Lord to get him through this which is absolutely the answer but the daily grind is really taking its toll on him right now.

Part of what I read to him from Gods word this morning was Isaiah 40:29 that says, "He giveth power to the faint and to them that have no might increaseth strength". We prayed today to claiming that promise.

I have a message from Dad he dictated to me that he wanted me to relay to everyone:

"Thank you to everyone who has prayed for me the past few weeks. If there is ever anything I can do for anyone I will be glad to help you out. Please keep praying for me as I continue to recover. God Bless you all."

-------------------------------------------------------------
Written Jul 31, 2012 1:41pm by kim darnell

Still on the roller coaster. Dad is battling several issues that are really wearing on him right now. He continues to struggle with his heart rate and recurring nausea that has put his therapy at a stand still and is delaying his recovery. He still cannot have anything by mouth and is confined to his bed at this time. He also has developed a potential issue with infection as he had a positive blood culture yesterday. He is really struggling with discouragement right now so please continue to pray for him and encourage him when you can. I think he also feels kind of isolated being so far away from home. He REALLY wants to get closer to Moscow in the WORST way. His plastics doc said he might be able to go to a rehab facility closer to home after about a week after his skin graft surgery which is scheduled for tomorrow if everything goes according to plan. Please pray for a successful surgery also. One more thing, his illness has made him insist that someone stay with him all the time which up to this point thankfully we have been able to do. But several family members start back to school later this week so we won't be able to keep that up anymore. Please pray for wisdom for what to do and that he will be OK with staying by himself some.

Hope this doesn't come across as too much of a downer. He really has made progress from where he was a month ago but it just really hard on him physically and mentally right now
Old 08-04-12, 02:26 PM   #42
woody

Hey Daniel, thanks for the update. Continuing to pray.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-12, 03:05 PM   #43
bamabassman

thanks daniel. yes it "sounds" bad, but i think he is jsut getting fed up,lol. tell him we are still praying for him and to get mad...that seems to help out when one gets frustrated. he can and WILL come out of this.

GOD will help him. tell him if he wants to do something for everyone....GET BETTER.
Old 08-04-12, 04:29 PM   #44
bassinbob

More prayers coming.
Old 08-05-12, 11:33 PM   #45
joedog

Daniel will keep the prayers coming and I did light a candle today in his honor.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.