Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-10, 11:13 AM   #1
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Revo - Skeet Reese Edition

Hey guys, just giving a heads up that BPS has lowered the Skeet Revo by $100, to $179! Don't know if anyone is interested, but here is the link:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...SSSELL_PRODUCT

Ryan
Old 04-06-10, 12:31 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

That's a great deal! However, it makes you wonder what the heck is coming out such that they want to hurry up and get rid of their Skeet inventory at such a low price. I could really do without the bumblebee paint job though.
Old 04-06-10, 12:49 PM   #3
Cavs1123

Great deal!
Old 04-06-10, 03:17 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Great deal from MSRP, but I don't think the SKT is a $280 reel to begin with. I would however, if I had the money, buy another one for 180 (what I paid for mine a couple months after they came out).

The SKT casts good to about 1/4oz. I throw a lot of 1/4 oz Bandit cranks with mine, and it works good for those. Haven't done much testing with it before that weight though. I've always preferred magnetic brakes over centrifugal though.

Retrieves are smooth, and even pulling deep cranks is a breeze with the long Power Handle.

Oh and that "bumblebee paint job" is sweet if you ask me!

BB
Old 04-06-10, 09:51 PM   #5
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have used one and for the money I'd rather have a revo premier or stx if it was up to me.
Old 04-07-10, 12:12 AM   #6
txriebe
BassFishin.Com Member

its been $179 at gander since before christmas
Old 04-07-10, 09:11 AM   #7
BigBassin144

Man, if they only had a high speed Skeet, I'd probably go buy one at $180...

BB
Old 04-07-10, 04:40 PM   #8
WTL

Its interesting how Abu has come down on the prices on some of these models. I like my Premier a lot. Wonder if it is getting tweaked a bit more than we know on successive models though. One thing I already wish for, I wish it were anodized aluminum instead of painted. You can really scratch paint off.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 05:28 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Its interesting how Abu has come down on the prices on some of these models. I like my Premier a lot. Wonder if it is getting tweaked a bit more than we know on successive models though. One thing I already wish for, I wish it were anodized aluminum instead of painted. You can really scratch paint off.
Funny you should mention that, WTL. I was actually thinking of getting a Skeet, stripping the hideous (take that, Anthony ) Stryper-esque paint of, and having it anodized. In the end, you would have a much better version of their JDM Aurora, probably for less money.
Old 04-07-10, 05:59 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Funny you should mention that, WTL. I was actually thinking of getting a Skeet, stripping the hideous (take that, Anthony ) Stryper-esque paint of, and having it anodized. In the end, you would have a much better version of their JDM Aurora, probably for less money.
I'll have to check, but I don't think the palm plate of the Skeet is aluminum. Is it on the Premier?

I've actually found the paint to be pretty durable. I keep the Skeet in the neoprene cover in the truck/rod locker and haven't had any issues with the awesome paint job scratching or wearing off. Also, I don't think the 09' premier has the clear coat the Skeet does.

Bryce, maybe you could have the frame stripped and painted black, or red. It'll look like a SX, with a better handle.

BB
Old 04-07-10, 06:49 PM   #11
WTL

Quote:
Where on earth could you send one to get it anodized?
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 08:09 PM   #12
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Where on earth could you send one to get it anodized?
Again.....funny you should ask. Though I have never done it, I do know how to anodize stuff. It's really a VERY simple process, and can be done in your garage with a reasonable initial expense (a few hundred dollars, but you could then anodize all manner of things, so I don't really count all of this money towards the price of the home-made Aurora).

However, to get the Aurora look like I was talking about, it first has to be coated in Titanium, through vapor deposition, since Titanium electroplating is virtually impossible. Vapor deposition is way, way out of my technical skillset. That part would have to shopped out. All told, I'm sure you could easily spend 200 bucks "upgrading."

Anodizing with Titanium has the added cool benefit that it can be almost any color you desire (I think except red or black). It has to do with the voltage you use while anodzing. Different voltage = different color.

It would still be expensive, but the 2009 Aurora Elite is almost 500 bucks. And talk about bragging rights...nobody could top you for mad swank.
Old 04-07-10, 08:12 PM   #13
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I'll have to check, but I don't think the palm plate of the Skeet is aluminum. Is it on the Premier?

Bryce, maybe you could have the frame stripped and painted black, or red. It'll look like a SX, with a better handle.

BB
Anthony, the palm plate on the Premier looks like their X-craftic aluminum to me. And at 6.9 oz, I don't see how the Skeet palm plate would be anything other than aluminum either.
Old 04-07-10, 08:36 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Like I said, I'd have to look at the Skeet's palm plate.

Oh, and I do believe you can anodize red. There are a few rods out there (including the Vendetta that have anodized red accents and winding checks.

BB
Old 04-07-10, 08:45 PM   #15
bassboogieman

NOTE TO NFE - If you want a titanium anodized REVO . . . . . . .
buy a Pflueger Patriarch XT.

I just got three and they are SWEET. But I know - no LEFTY'S. Maybe next year.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 09:14 PM   #16
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Like I said, I'd have to look at the Skeet's palm plate.

Oh, and I do believe you can anodize red. There are a few rods out there (including the Vendetta that have anodized red accents and winding checks.

BB
You can anodize aluminum red and black, just not Titanium.

Oh, and Boogie....that was a cruel thing to do haha.

Man, I'd love to try a Patriarch. they just need more than one lefty model, dangit!!!!
Old 04-08-10, 06:25 AM   #17
bassboogieman

Sorry, the monkey MADE ME DO IT. LMAO!
Old 04-08-10, 08:25 AM   #18
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
NOTE TO NFE - If you want a titanium anodized REVO . . . . . . .
buy a Pflueger Patriarch XT.

I just got three and they are SWEET. But I know - no LEFTY'S. Maybe next year.
Quote:
You can anodize aluminum red and black, just not Titanium.

Oh, and Boogie....that was a cruel thing to do haha.

Man, I'd love to try a Patriarch. they just need more than one lefty model, dangit!!!!
I would love to try the Patriarch XT as well, but like bryce said, they need a lefty. I though pflueger was supposed to be getting LH models this year?

If the XT came in a lefty, I probably add Pflueger back to my list of reels to try.

BB
Old 04-08-10, 09:15 AM   #19
bassboogieman

Pure Fishing has the LEFTY Patriarch on it's website, not in stores yet that I've seen, but not really searching for it as I prefer RIGHTY. It's not available in XT yet, but the old, everyday, run-of-the-mill Patriarch is also Ti coated. It's only offered 7.1:1 at this time also.
PATRIARCH 71LPL 100 yds / 12 Lb. 7.1:1 8.0 oz Standard Left Med/Freshwater
Monkey is dangling the bait, Bryce. LOL

You'll just have to imagine a mirror image for lefty. HA!

Last edited by bassboogieman; 04-08-10 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-08-10, 10:21 AM   #20
BigBassin144

bassboogieman, I thought there was a LH Patriarch. The BPS Johnny Morris reels are also Ti coated. I do find my JM Sig to be a bit slippery when it gets wet, making the already too large reel even more uncomfortable for me. I'm thinking this wouldn't be a problem with the Patriarchs due to their smaller size. I really like the XT with the carbon handle and EVA knobs, but I'll have to check out the regular Patriarch next time I'm at BPS.

BB
Old 04-08-10, 10:50 AM   #21
bassboogieman

I don't have the "slippery reel" issue as my hands "surround" this reel. If Pure Fishing has any sense they should intro an XT lefty to get a piece of that market. In addition to the carbon handle, the reel pads are slight larger and a softer material (I like them!), and "steals" the REVO drag, matching it with 20#+ of drag (Patriarch = 12#), AND the XT is 1.2 ounces LIGHTER than the Patriarch. Are these little differences worth the additional $50? I think so for the reduced weight alone. Someone wanting multiple reels though that may be a bit much as it will add up quickly.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.