Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-10, 12:08 PM   #1
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default One for Bama on his beloved G-ville

To save time, I copied my thread started from another forum, Lkg4deer is a neghbor and fishing bud here in Georgia. Friday evening after work 7-2-2010 we had a "wild hair" inspiration and went to G-ville. Below is the "rest of the story".
John, I hope you enjoy this because it was right below your old house across the river from Roseberry.

Robert Haas (Lkg4deer) and I left about 7PM Friday evening and drove to G-ville and fished all night and half a day on Saturday. We did NOT fish the ledges! lol! We fished for pad fish and size. The pads we fished were relative to the channel and we fished the side away from the channel. Black and Red spinner baits were the ticket through the dark hours and 10" worms (with about 1" bitten off) during the daylight hours on Saturday. The wind blew all night and on Saturday morning so the topwater bite was non-existent (a few blow ups but no hookups). Our total was about 15 fish with only 2-3 that were under the 15" mark. Below were the best fish of the trip. There were a number of fish between the 2 and 3 pound mark that we didn't take pictures of.
Here's Robert with the first fish of the night, between 3 and 4 pounds. This is the one that convinced us to concentrate on the spinnerbait!

Here's another in the 3 pound class by Robert

At this point I was catching slightly smaller fish and Robert was muscling in the bigger guys.

Then Robert raised the bar again with this 5 pound 15 oz fish

Another view of her

Finally the sun came up and the spinnerbait bite fell off, but the fish were still in the pads. We managed a few fish between 14 and 18" then I stuck this 5 lb 1 oz fish

Things pretty much died off after that and we pulled out of the water about 11 AM CSDT and headed home. I ain't so sure I can do those marathon trips too much anymore! lol! After working all day Friday, then fishing all night and half the next day, and driving 2 1/2 hours back home, I had leg cramps off and on all night Saturday night! LOL! I survived and it was fun. My only regret is that the wind blew all night and pretty much dashed any hopes of the buzzbait and frog bite in the pads.
#thumbsup#
Old 07-04-10, 12:17 PM   #2
Jrob78

Looks like you guys had a great trip, nice fish!
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 12:43 PM   #3
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Looks like you guys had a great trip, nice fish!
Nice for sure, but doesn't come close to what I used to do on Fork, Ray Roberts and a few other fine waters in the DFW vicinity! I miss my home waters in Texas!
Old 07-04-10, 12:52 PM   #4
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
Nice for sure, but doesn't come close to what I used to do on Fork, Ray Roberts and a few other fine waters in the DFW vicinity! I miss my home waters in Texas!
Gotta love TX!
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 01:03 PM   #5
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

lol, way to make John feel lame!

Nice fish man! Looks like a real good day!

Last edited by Bassboss; 07-04-10 at 01:12 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 01:07 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Man, sounds awesome Bob!

Making John wish he could catch them fish over 1lb.

BB
Old 07-04-10, 01:34 PM   #7
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

way to go Bob! Really nice fish!
Old 07-04-10, 05:45 PM   #8
WaffleJaw

Great fish Bob thanks for sharing!
Gonna be on Tawakoni tomorrow..Ill try and make ya proud,lol
Old 07-04-10, 06:56 PM   #9
keithdog

What awsome pics! I'd love to have a chance to fish Lake Fork! I've never fished throough the night like that, but it's something I want to do this year.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 08:45 PM   #10
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
What awsome pics! I'd love to have a chance to fish Lake Fork! I've never fished throough the night like that, but it's something I want to do this year.
Keith, Lake Fork produces behemoths compared to those fish. Our two biggest on Guntersville Friday night would be average sized on a night at Lake Fork! At least it was a few years ago, a couple of my very close friends and guides assure me that it still is!
If you have a lake with some decent pad fields close to deep water you need to give it a try. Ironically, the daytime pattern on Guntersville right now is fishing the river channel ledges (There is an article in Bassmaster Magazine this month on Boyd Duckett's ledge pattern). The fish are ganging up on the ledges. C-rigs, Jigs and Crankbaits are bringing in huge numbers. If you want to have the lake to yourself (albeit a few other folks who like the dark like you) and improve your odds of catching some of the better fish right now, then night time Lily pad fishing is the ticket!
Old 07-04-10, 10:40 PM   #11
bamabassman

well,wel,well bob.................THANKS FOR NUTHIN, LMAO! hahaha, i am gonna have to do me some night fishing pretty soon. those are some AWESUM fish partner. i know EXACTLY where you are talking aobut too. black and red huh? i got a couple of dem spinners. hehehe. i am so glad you guys had a great time. meybe we can hook up before the year is out? hope so.

now tell the truth...you threw em all back didn't ya? you know i love to eat em. hahahahaha!
Old 07-04-10, 11:14 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01

Looks like an awesome night! Nights like that don't come often, and we remember them for a long time when they do.

Good looking BassCat too!
Old 07-05-10, 12:24 AM   #13
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
well,wel,well bob.................THANKS FOR NUTHIN, LMAO! hahaha, i am gonna have to do me some night fishing pretty soon. those are some AWESUM fish partner. i know EXACTLY where you are talking aobut too. black and red huh? i got a couple of dem spinners. hehehe. i am so glad you guys had a great time. meybe we can hook up before the year is out? hope so.

now tell the truth...you threw em all back didn't ya? you know i love to eat em. hahahahaha!
Every one of them is still swimming in those pads, Bama! You know where that little public ramp is by the Water intake? We were straight out from there just about all night. We fished the mouth of Roseberry for a while and didn't do any good, then fished the pads back up towards the Comer Bridge. finally ended up going to where we started and commenced to catching fish again.
Old 07-05-10, 03:31 PM   #14
bamabassman

yeah i know where you are talking about bob. trying to talk lisa into a night fishing trip for this coming weekend. but.........no lights on da cajun yet. and we ain't got no muhla to get em either. i told her she could just hold a latern for me.but you know how women are. i got an earful after that, HAHAHAHAHA! said i could hold it for her, after all she said."i'm the one who catches em, not you!" hahahahaha, true i said, very, very true.
Old 07-05-10, 04:40 PM   #15
Cavs1123

Nice toads!
Old 07-05-10, 07:37 PM   #16
Bob Smith

John, if Lisa is anything like Esther the first bat that flew into her rod would end your night fishing trip abruptly! lol! Those little leather wings were out there all night. We had them hit our lines, our rods and buzz our noses a few times. The anchor light would attract a few bugs whenever the wind would ease up for a second and then the bats would be dive bombing those insects immediately. They have never bothered me except for when I'm running down the lake, I've always feared having one smack me in the head or somehting. It has never happened and I think the fact that thier echo location capabilities help to keep them out of harms way.
Old 07-05-10, 07:45 PM   #17
WTL

Looks like you had a pretty good night Bob! I've never done well on Gville at night - dont know why.

I will be up there in a couple weeks. I know we talked about going fishing sometime earlier in the year, if you have time I'd love to get a few hours out there with you.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 08:21 PM   #18
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
yeah i know where you are talking about bob. trying to talk lisa into a night fishing trip for this coming weekend. but.........no lights on da cajun yet. and we ain't got no muhla to get em either. i told her she could just hold a latern for me.but you know how women are. i got an earful after that, HAHAHAHAHA! said i could hold it for her, after all she said."i'm the one who catches em, not you!" hahahahaha, true i said, very, very true.
lmao!

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
Old 07-05-10, 08:36 PM   #19
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
John, if Lisa is anything like Esther the first bat that flew into her rod would end your night fishing trip abruptly! lol! Those little leather wings were out there all night. We had them hit our lines, our rods and buzz our noses a few times. The anchor light would attract a few bugs whenever the wind would ease up for a second and then the bats would be dive bombing those insects immediately. They have never bothered me except for when I'm running down the lake, I've always feared having one smack me in the head or somehting. It has never happened and I think the fact that thier echo location capabilities help to keep them out of harms way.
The bandit had a bat smack his line then his forehead during a night tounament a few years ago. Now that was funny, his fishing rod swinging around like a sword, he screaming WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT. I was laughing so hard my belly was shaking the whole boat.
Old 07-05-10, 10:44 PM   #20
bamabassman

well i didn't think about the bats. hmmm...that ought to be fun to see, roflmao!
Old 07-06-10, 09:22 AM   #21
MIbasser

Sounds like a lot of fun. I don't think I could pull an all nighter like that, those were for the younger years....

Oh, nice looking Cat you have there!
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-10, 09:46 AM   #22
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
Sounds like a lot of fun. I don't think I could pull an all nighter like that, those were for the younger years....

Oh, nice looking Cat you have there!
My buddy's 07 Puma. It's a nice ride with the 250 HPDI.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.