Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-12, 05:51 PM   #1
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson
Default The Fab Five

Saw it again this weekend. The story of The Fab Five at Michigan.

It's the 2nd time I've seen it, and it still hit home as hard as it did the first time.

What those 5 freshman did was unreal. Within sniffing distance of 2 National titles as freshmen and again as sophomores.

Too bad their legacy is overshadowed by the Ed Martin deal.

Hopefully, Chris Webber can come to grips with it all someday
Pretty sad
Old 04-01-12, 07:17 PM   #2
nofearengineer

I see it completely differently. I see it as a bunch of guys who had it all, and typically, threw it all away because they were each looking out for themselves. No NCAA championship. Not one of them won an NBA championship. Not a one of them will make it to the Hall of Fame. That is what being a glory-hog gets you.

Great basketball players can still be losers.

Flame on, Mike.
Old 04-01-12, 07:29 PM   #3
MallenManson

I see it 100% differently.
Not a single one of them was looking out for themselves, and NCAA championships would have been as close to a shoo-in as there is, if Webber wouldn't have left for the pros (most likely due to the fact that he let his teammates down)

Due to your reply, I have to ask....do you own a white hood?

Flame on Bryce
Old 04-01-12, 07:41 PM   #4
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think Webber eventually makes the HOF, his numbers are in line with the likes of Erving, McHale, Malone and Garnett- 20.9 pts, 9.8 rebs, 4.3 asts, 1.5 stls, 1.4 blks per game, 15 seasons in the NBA, kinda makes it hard to consider him a loser in my eyes. You also have to remember that he spent allot of his productive years with the Kings in the Western Conference when Koby and Shaq were winning championships, pretty stiff competition.

I just remembered that Juwann Howard is in his 16th season of the NBA, plays with the Heat, played in the NBA Finals last year, eventually losing to the Mavericks.

These guys were brash young kids with incredible talent, they may have not achieved as much as they could have, but I don't think of any of them as losers.

Last edited by Tavery5; 04-01-12 at 07:47 PM.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 07:48 PM   #5
MallenManson

Thank you Tav, and I completely agree. I also think that even though, they may not make the HOF, Rose and Howard had very productive NBA careers as well.

Those 5 changed the college game. It was the best recruiting class ever. Those 5 guys were in the top 45 recruits in the country. What's even better, 4 of them were in the top 11.

Whether someone hates Michigan or not, the Fab Five was amazing, for the 2 seasons they were together. Championship games as freshman and as sophomores.
Call me a homer, but if anyone can come up with something similar, I'd praise your team too.
Old 04-01-12, 08:06 PM   #6
bcklash

I agree with you and Tavs--you homer
Old 04-01-12, 08:11 PM   #7
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
I agree with you and Tavs--you homer
Haha. I do my best to not come across as a homer, but I think I'm in the clear on this one

On the (homer) subject of people who never won a championship (mentioned earlier), I'd like to throw a lil person named Barry in the ring ) Championships don't tell the whole story
Old 04-01-12, 08:16 PM   #8
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Due to your reply, I have to ask....do you own a white hood?
Now what in my reply had any racist overtones whatsoever?

There's an old joke:
Q. How do you know you've won an argument with a liberal?
A. He just called you a racist.

Does that hold true for sports arguments too?
Old 04-01-12, 08:17 PM   #9
Tavery5

Here are a few great players that never won NBA titles, Patrick Ewing, Charles Barkley, Dominique Wilkins, Elgin Baylor, Nate Thurmond, Reggie Miller, Pete Maravich, Karl Malone, and John Stockton.
Old 04-01-12, 08:39 PM   #10
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Now what in my reply had any racist overtones whatsoever?

There's an old joke:
Q. How do you know you've won an argument with a liberal?
A. He just called you a racist.

Does that hold true for sports arguments too?
LMAO! You never give up, trying to come across as superior, do you?
If It's not racist, what is it? Anti Wolverine? Anti baggy shorts? (Which would seriously call you into question if you preferred the John Stockton panties).

What is your argument, which once again makes you feel superior to everyone else, for the damm thread I started?

Why is it that you feel it necessary to run my point down? At least 4 of them have made more money than you ever will.
All 5 of then have made it to the NCAA championship game..(and have a better vertical leap than you).yet you freaking demean them.
Seriously, why is that? Have you ever heard me run down Brett Favre, who beat my Lions down again and again?
Have you heard me call Jordan a joke, for beating my Pistons again and again?

If you're that insecure, that you have to run down 5 freshman that played Duke in the title game......and 5 sophomores that played UNC (if i remember correctly) in the NEXT title game, then you HAVE to be a racist POS. What other reason could there possibly be?

You still have those posters of Christian Laeetner on your ceiling, bryce? I'm guessin it's not Grant Hill.............

This thread wasnt started as a smack talking debate. It was started as an observation, and a celebration.
Yet once again, someone who has nothing to hang his hat on, feels the need to run down those who do.

Congratulations....you're an arrogant ***
Old 04-01-12, 08:46 PM   #11
nofearengineer

I think Christian Laettner is scum. By your logic, I must hate white people.
Old 04-01-12, 08:48 PM   #12
MallenManson

Actually, by my logic, you're an idiot.
Don't try and twist my words. You'll lose.
Old 04-02-12, 10:51 AM   #13
bassboogieman

Wow, I think someone got bit by a rabid wolverine.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion and certainly does not deserve an onslaught of personal attacks because he may disagree with the OP.

I didn't see any racist slant at all until the comment about the white hood - where did that come from?

Where was the superiortiy comment pulled from - the depths of insecurity? I haven't seen any indication of that in this particular thread. This seems to be a unidirectional personal attack for some reason.

The arguments are certainly childish - the 5 players in question have made more money than Bryce? I'd be willing to bet a year's pension checks that would also apply to you Mallen. I'm also willing to double down the bet any one of the 5 had a higher vertical leap that you. And just so you don't think I'm an arrogant SOB, they also made more money than I have, can jump higher, run faster and are certainly more famous than I. So what, who really cares, what's the point?

As far as turning to smack talk, that didn't happen until you started it - but again it's 20-year-old-crap and who really cares. It started with an observation which is fine, then an opposing observation, then goes to Hades very quickly.

Mallen, your commentary is also contradictory - you stated the 5 did not have their own interests at heart rather than the team's, and in the same breath noted Webber (the ONLY one of the 'fab 5" with a shot at the HOF) deserted his teammates and went pro before the end of his college carreer. Seems to me that is indicitive of looking out for himself - NOT that I blame him for doing it.

I wasn't going to comment at all, but as this thing turned personal much too quickly, much to publicly and for reasons unbeknown to me, I had to comment if only to show my displeasure and concern for this type of thing happening on a fishing board. Most of the guys that post here are at the least civil - also note I saw no incivilitity in any of Bryce's comments, actually I was surprised at his restraint, especially after being called an idiot. Where is the justification for that?

This reeks of the type of issues with another "member" (Vegas) and it really is uncalled for. If you need to bash another member, at least show enough curtesey to the rest of us to do it in a PM.

Quote:
Bass fear me.
Women pepperspray me.....
After reading this thread, I doubt the first but seriously understand the 2nd.
But whatever the differences between members, taking personal shots at another is unnecessay, uncalled for, inappropriate, not to mention demeaning to your own character. I am not the BF.com police, have no authority what-so-ever, but as a user that's here virtually eveyday, feel I have the right to my own observations, which this is. It's only my opinion and feelings about what this website is about, and what has occured in this thread (IMO) should not be a part of it.

I will also admit I did this in an open thread, rather than in a PM (my own advice) to make my opiinion known that others may comment. I found an individual that (IMO) crossed a line, pointed it out, and invite others to make known their opinions should I have also crossed one. I refuse to engage in back-and-forth personal attacks, I'm done here. This was not intended to attack Mallon in a personal way (I haven't called him any names, attacked his politics, or character), but to point out a thread that has gone wrong, for reasons I cannot find a basis for, in the hope it can be avoided in the future. I am climbing down and putting my soapbox away. I hope everyone has a good day and we can all move forward, putting crap like this behind us.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 11:32 AM   #14
Cavs1123

That was completely uncalled for Mallen. Bryce wasn't being racist or anything, he was just stating his opinion. You twisted his words and made it seem racist when he didn't have any racist intentions.
Old 04-02-12, 05:24 PM   #15
MallenManson

Ok, guys, here I am. Feel free to put the boots to me.

Bassboogieman, I appreciate your soapbox rant on my actions And they're deserved.

Here's what got my hackles up. First, the Flame On comment. Then the political comment. Then when Bryce said I must think he hates white people, by my logic.
Those were the issues I was having with the whole thing, not that he was disagreeing.
Even so I over reacted and I apologize to all of you, and Bryce especially.

Not that it's an excuse or a valid reason, but my life is really stressful right now (don't worry, no family members sick or anything), and I allowed it to come into play here.

I've felt terrible about this whole incident all day, and I sincerely apologize to each and everyone of you

P.S.
Obviously, I don't really think Bryce is an idiot. Far from it
Old 04-02-12, 09:29 PM   #16
nofearengineer

No problem, Mike. It wouldn't be the first time I got under someone's skin, even if unintentionally. You know me, I'm like a dog chasing cars.

But anyway, I've gotta try to get to bad. I went into work at 1AM last night, and didn't get out until my normal 5:30PM. To say it sucked would be an understatement.
Old 04-02-12, 10:10 PM   #17
bassboogieman

That's only a 16 hour day, you get a 1/2 hour for lunch don't ya? I used to do 16 hr days back-to-back with an 8 hr day to break up the following double shift the day after that. I do hope you are compensated for the extra time and not straight salary though, that would be a deal breaker for me as there is NOTHING worse than unpaid hours.

Thanks Bryce for bringing back that nighmare, it's only been 13 months....................
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-12, 06:49 PM   #18
coachpurdy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Call me a homer, but if anyone can come up with something similar, I'd praise your team too.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a Calipari fan but he just won the championship last night with a bunch of freshmen. However, the fab five were the first and Calipari (Kentucky) has made it the standard. You can't ask gor a better player or person than Anthony Davis, a great defensive player and teamate. Even though I don't like seeing kids leave early for the NBA or NFL its hard to fault a kid for taking a multi million dollar deal. I doubt very seriously that there is a degree that they could earn by staying that would make them as much money.
coachpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 05:19 PM   #19
LVSKEETER
BassFishin.Com Member

The Fab Five were a great team..it is ashame they didn't win the big one..and that 30 for 30 is one of my favs ESPN has done..I was pullin for Mich is that game and it still hurts to see webber call that TO..but I'm a huge UK fan and I was fortunate enough to be in New Orleans for the final 4 and witness that championship..What calipari does with freshman and sophmores is amazing..to get them to commit to the defensive end and put their egos aside for the better of the team is amazing..that team that won Monday night had a freshman at pg, sf, and c..and the sg and pf were soph..that's pretty amazing if you ask me..and he somehow does it year in and year out wherever he goes..I saw an interview once where he said he tells his high school recruits that if they want to go to a school where they are gonna get 15 or 16 shots a game, then don't come to UK..he knows that it's a team that wins the big one..That was the one fault of the first group he brought in with UK..John wall and those fellas made the elite 8 but that was with pure athleticism..If they would have played as a team i don't see who coulda beat em..but that's my .02..not trying to invade this post..just saw purdy comment on UK and I got excited..
LVSKEETER is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.