Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-09, 06:49 PM   #1
bassackwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Exclamation don't want to get scamed need help

found a jeep on creigs list sounds to good to be true asking 2,750 said pay through 3rd party (plugenpay) jeep is in sc,said selling due to getting shipped off to sandland next month. i'v never used one of these things or got any thing online. might just be paranoid but want yals opinion thanks for any info. heres some pic's
http://www.fototime.com/users/bernie.../My%20Pictures
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-09, 07:10 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

That aint a 2,700 hundred dollar jeep. I think its a scam of some sort. I dont trust it.
Old 07-22-09, 07:19 PM   #3
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I would have to say that it is to good to be true man , unless you could talk to the seller person to person I would not even consider it .

Jim
Old 07-22-09, 07:38 PM   #4
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

If you bought it, you'd be going and picking it up? If so, tell the seller you'll have cash in hand.
Old 07-22-09, 07:39 PM   #5
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Ok, shoulda looked at the pics before I posted. No friggin way ANYONE would sell that for 2750. Not even to get their momma outta jail
Old 07-22-09, 08:14 PM   #6
bassackwards

yea i think i'll keep looken
Old 07-22-09, 08:15 PM   #7
nofearengineer

You might want to see what else he has for sale...it would be nice to pick up a dozen Revo STX's for 5 bucks each.

That jeep is $12,000-$15,000 easy, even in these crappy economic times.
Old 07-22-09, 08:18 PM   #8
Bassboss

ya, looks to go to be true! I would give it a few test drives before you get it...... sweet jeep!
Old 07-22-09, 08:20 PM   #9
aikenyounggun

man im sorry but that seems way too good to be true, have you talked to the guy personally or what?

that was probably like 2 months ago before he took the engine out and then pushed it off a cliff

that engine is close to the price he is askin
Old 07-22-09, 08:28 PM   #10
bassackwards

this is the e-mail

Hello,

If you are interested in my 1978 Jeep CJ5, I must mention that it is in perfect condition, has no scratches, dings, special marks whatsoever. It has 120K miles and only 2500 miles put on Jeep since build was complete. The VIN # is :JBF83AH057329. It has a clear title ready to be signed and notarized on your name.

I have the pictures hosted on the net and you can see them at : http://www.fototime.com/users/bernie.../My%20Pictures.

The jeep is located in Walterboro, SC.

The price is $2,780 and there are no other costs regarding this transaction. I am selling the jeep because I am in the army and my unit will be deployed to Afghanistan next month. I will buy a new one when I'll be back home so this jeep needs to go.

The transaction will be closed only through a 3rd party because this way we will both be protected. My time is limited due to my job in the army so I decided to use a service from PlugnPay which will serve as our 3rd escrow party in this transaction. To begin the transaction I'll need your full name and shipping address, I will forward the details of our transaction to PlugnPay and then you will receive an invoice from them. The jeep will be shipped insured to your location with DAS and you will have 5 days for inspection, I will pay for shipping.

Thank you,

Bernie MaLain
Old 07-22-09, 08:37 PM   #11
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassackwards View Post
this is the e-mail

Hello,

If you are interested in my 1978 Jeep CJ5, I must mention that it is in perfect condition, has no scratches, dings, special marks whatsoever. It has 120K miles and only 2500 miles put on Jeep since build was complete. The VIN # is :JBF83AH057329. It has a clear title ready to be signed and notarized on your name.

I have the pictures hosted on the net and you can see them at : http://www.fototime.com/users/bernie.../My%20Pictures.

The price is $2,780 and there are no other costs regarding this transaction. I am selling the jeep because I am in the army and my unit will be deployed to Afghanistan next month. I will buy a new one when I'll be back home so this jeep needs to go.

The transaction will be closed only through a 3rd party because this way we will both be protected. My time is limited due to my job in the army so I decided to use a service from PlugnPay which will serve as our 3rd escrow party in this transaction. To begin the transaction I'll need your full name and shipping address, I will forward the details of our transaction to PlugnPay and then you will receive an invoice from them. The jeep will be shipped insured to your location with DAS and you will have 5 days for inspection, I will pay for shipping.

Thank you,

Bernie MaLain
WAY to good to be true!

Dunno man... it could be lagit, liying about going to the army is pretty sleezy, but possible.
Old 07-22-09, 08:43 PM   #12
Jim80

Quote:
this is the e-mail

Hello,

Thank you,

Bernie MaLain

I hate to think it but it would most likely cost that much to ship the jeep to ya I would report the ad to what ever service has it listed .

Jim
Old 07-23-09, 03:10 PM   #13
sac

Quote:
this is the e-mail

Hello,

Thank you,

Bernie MaLain

I got that same e-mail from 3 different sellers from 3 different car listings before. I read up on "Craigslist scams" and found that this is pretty common. Anything with a 3rd party is a scam and the "Army" is used a lot also. This my friend, is no doubt a scam. Keep looking....for cars that you can see in person.

Google "Craigslist Scams" you'll see that this email is used A LOT! Sorry bro, just looking out for my fellow Bassfishin members
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-09, 03:50 PM   #14
bonsaibp
BassFishin.Com Member

If it sounds too good to be true than chances are it is too good to be true.
bonsaibp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-09, 04:06 PM   #15
WaffleJaw

Quote:
this is the e-mail

Hello,

Thank you,

Bernie MaLain
anything third party is a scam 99.99% of the time.
why sell it?...to come back and buy another one?

'' The transaction will be closed only through a 3rd party because this way we will both be protected''-----and your in the army???

he hasnt left yet?....why not meet in person?...with the police on speed-dial!

this thing is covered in scam sauce!!!!
Old 07-23-09, 04:07 PM   #16
sac

Mmmmmmm scam sauce lol
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-09, 10:27 PM   #17
bassinbob

Sounds like that Ranger that was for sale at a rediculous price. You had to do the same thing as above. I mailed and said I would be there in two days to buy. They replied back that It could only be shipped from a warehouse or something. It was in New York. Scam written all over it.
Old 07-25-09, 04:27 PM   #18
stonneeeee
BassFishin.Com Member

Exclamation scam

I just received an email that is identical to this, only from Scott Anderson

Found the boat on craigslist in Houston

Hello,
If you are interested in my 1990 Suntracker 28', I must mention that it is in perfect condition. It has 1784 hours. It has a clear title ready to be signed and notarized on your name.
I have the pictures hosted on the net and you can see them at : http://www.fototime.com/users/scotta.../My%20Pictures

The pontoon is located in Springfield, MO.
The price is $2,777 and there are no other costs regarding this transaction. I am selling the pontoon because I am in the army and my unit will be deployed to Afghanistan next month.

The transaction will be closed only through a 3rd party because this way we will both be protected. My time is limited due to my job in the army so I decided to use a service from PlugnPay which will serve as our 3rd escrow party in this transaction. To begin the transaction I'll need your full name and shipping address, I will forward the details of our transaction to PlugnPay and then you will receive an invoice from them. The pontoon will be shipped insured to your location with DAS and you will have 5 days for inspection, I will pay for shipping.

Thank you very much for your time.

Scott Anderson

I know this boat is way too under priced

I am going to see how far they go with there plugnpay and see where it actually leads me

Somebody using the excuse of being in the military to screw other people is scum in my books

Plugnpay is a real ecommerce site

I am going to tread real lightly on this
Waiting for an email for the invoice info
Curious what it will say

I know the email headers lead almost nowhere, aol, yahoo, and inktomi, so they are probably using proxy servers to hide themselves. I can track just about anybodies emails, curious if there is a way to set them up and let the cops catch them

If it is a scam, (I know it is) I would like to see a them get screwed over

I sent an email to the FTC and to plugnpay and see if they would help catch some of these idiots
stonneeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 10:31 PM   #19
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsaibp View Post
If it sounds too good to be true than chances are it is too good to be true.
I agree 100 percent.
Old 07-27-09, 01:13 PM   #20
WTL

http://www.plugnpay.com/contact.php
Old 07-27-09, 02:10 PM   #21
pacordon
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Jeep Scam

That is not a $2700.00 jeep. I've a 1976, cj-7 original engine and is only worth about $8000.00. Another one near my place is as nice as the one in the pcs. It has a price tag of $8200.00. The person is playing on you with that statement about going to the Sandlot.
pacordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 08:44 PM   #22
SomeoneElse
BassFishin.Com Member

Talking Called him on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacordon View Post
That is not a $2700.00 jeep. I've a 1976, cj-7 original engine and is only worth about $8000.00. Another one near my place is as nice as the one in the pcs. It has a price tag of $8200.00. The person is playing on you with that statement about going to the Sandlot.
Ok...I saw this and thought the same thing all of ya did...so I emailed him. I got back the same email as posted above about the jeep. I am actually in the Army and looked up his name on Army Knowledge Online...ummm...no such person in SC, or in the Army at all for that matter, under the name Bernie McLain. I looked at National Guard Units, Reserve Units, and Active Duty Units...still nothing. I called a buddy I served with in the 82nd and after he called the Staff Duty at the 18th ABN Corps he found that there is no one in Ft. Bragg with the name Bernie McLaine. It seems that there are a bunch of scams out there like this and it really disturbs me that they would use the Military to tug at someones heart so they would fall for it. Hopefully no one does. I emailed him back asking what unit he is with since I do, in fact, have friends in the area that are in the Guard there. Anyway, keep everyone updated as this is crap!
SomeoneElse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 08:57 PM   #23
DonaldBreland

I live 12 minutes from walterboro. I will check this out. I have a few buddies that are cops up here.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.