Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-09, 04:57 PM   #1
Bill M
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default What happening to the U.S.A.???

I can tell ya what happened....we got soft and dont want to get our fingers dirty. We can only push paper work around and even that we out-source over seas. My place is trying to hire a good Toolmaker and cant find any. At my job the youngest Toolmaker is 48 and the oldest is retiring this coming Friday and we lost one a few months ago to become a fireman in Iraq, the others are all in there 50's. This country is in trouble and its our own fault including myself, we all wanted a better life for our kids and of course college was the answer but at a huge cost to our manufacturing as no new blood is replacing the old guards, the knowledge of making things will be lost and only read about in books, very sad to see this happen as I know everything we use today is first made by toolmakers/machinists and its soon going over seas since we dont teach it to anyone anymore. We are done as an industrial nation.Had to rant, it ticks me off..and companies dont want to pay to teach either.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-09, 05:06 PM   #2
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
I can tell ya what happened....we got soft and dont want to get our fingers dirty. We can only push paper work around and even that we out-source over seas. My place is trying to hire a good Toolmaker and cant find any. At my job the youngest Toolmaker is 48 and the oldest is retiring this coming Friday and we lost one a few months ago to become a fireman in Iraq, the others are all in there 50's. This country is in trouble and its our own fault including myself, we all wanted a better life for our kids and of course college was the answer but at a huge cost to our manufacturing as no new blood is replacing the old guards, the knowledge of making things will be lost and only read about in books, very sad to see this happen as I know everything we use today is first made by toolmakers/machinists and its soon going over seas since we dont teach it to anyone anymore. We are done as an industrial nation.Had to rant, it ticks me off..and companies dont want to pay to teach either.
Seems like you should tell your employer about your problem. Maybe they could offer a class or something to find a worker ?
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-09, 05:37 PM   #3
Jim80

Bill I'm a toolmaker myself and at 29 I am the youngest that works at the factory , right know it is just a tough trade to be in .

jim
Old 08-24-09, 05:43 PM   #4
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Don't worry, Bill. In 30 years, after the Far East has taken over all management and administrative skills (when you're online, there's no need to be down the hall from your boss), we'll be a nation of manual laborers. Will that be acceptable? (I wish I was joking)

I too lament the loss of manufacturing jobs, but not because people lost "their" jobs, but because these same unemployed workers counted on an unspoken guarantee of a lifetime of middle-class prosperity doing a job an illegal alien or worse, a machine can do for pennies. I know this was not their conscious decision...it could happen to anyone who drinks the typical union Kool-Aid, but we, as a nation need to grow up and understand, this so-called "American Dream", well, other countries watched us on TV, and now they want it too. They are willing to compete with us for the bounty that is middle-class living. They want their bass-boat. They are willing to work hard to get it, and they are going to kick our butts if we're not willing to work harder.

In the future, almost all manufacturing is going to be done by machines, because they don't go on strike, and they're never late because their kid was sick. Only high-tech or high-end assembly will be done by human hands. I know it may sounds unpatriotic according to Toby Keith, but what we need is to move away from a heavy machinery manufacturing jobs base. If we continue to spend extra to "keep jobs at home", all we're doing is wasting money. Keep the jobs here that are critical for national defense, and let the free market decide where the others go. But like with all things, Houston, we have a problem....

Frankly, our kids are so stupid they're not capable of taking over anything besides their PSP or iPhone. We give them all of this technology, but they have no real idea how it works. Where did they learn this? From watching us mindlessly consume disposable technology produced by a few geniuses, drive our 6-year life-cycle, planned obsolescence automobiles, and celebrate the do-nothing wealthy like Paris Hilton. We are in big trouble if we find out we raised a generation of assembly line workers with no factories to employ them.

All I can say is...thank God engineering, by law, has to have direct oversight by the engineer of record of state-certified projects. Rajeesh over in Bangalore, India can memorize the National Electrical Code if he wants to, but he still can't stamp a drawing here...............yet.
Old 08-24-09, 06:38 PM   #5
JB

well put nofear, plus a great way to kill that last hour at work huh LOL jk

Last edited by JB; 08-24-09 at 06:44 PM.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-09, 10:15 PM   #6
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Don't worry, Bill. In 30 years, after the Far East has taken over all management and administrative skills (when you're online, there's no need to be down the hall from your boss), we'll be a nation of manual laborers. Will that be acceptable? (I wish I was joking)

I too lament the loss of manufacturing jobs, but not because people lost "their" jobs, but because these same unemployed workers counted on an unspoken guarantee of a lifetime of middle-class prosperity doing a job an illegal alien or worse, a machine can do for pennies. I know this was not their conscious decision...it could happen to anyone who drinks the typical union Kool-Aid, but we, as a nation need to grow up and understand, this so-called "American Dream", well, other countries watched us on TV, and now they want it too. They are willing to compete with us for the bounty that is middle-class living. They want their bass-boat. They are willing to work hard to get it, and they are going to kick our butts if we're not willing to work harder.

In the future, almost all manufacturing is going to be done by machines, because they don't go on strike, and they're never late because their kid was sick. Only high-tech or high-end assembly will be done by human hands. I know it may sounds unpatriotic according to Toby Keith, but what we need is to move away from a heavy machinery manufacturing jobs base. If we continue to spend extra to "keep jobs at home", all we're doing is wasting money. Keep the jobs here that are critical for national defense, and let the free market decide where the others go. But like with all things, Houston, we have a problem....

Frankly, our kids are so stupid they're not capable of taking over anything besides their PSP or iPhone. We give them all of this technology, but they have no real idea how it works. Where did they learn this? From watching us mindlessly consume disposable technology produced by a few geniuses, drive our 6-year life-cycle, planned obsolescence automobiles, and celebrate the do-nothing wealthy like Paris Hilton. We are in big trouble if we find out we raised a generation of assembly line workers with no factories to employ them.

All I can say is...thank God engineering, by law, has to have direct oversight by the engineer of record of state-certified projects. Rajeesh over in Bangalore, India can memorize the National Electrical Code if he wants to, but he still can't stamp a drawing here...............yet.
Hey now , I wouldnt know ,but ive heard she can do things.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 01:05 AM   #7
WTL

Nofear is right.

In huntsville, we have these great big textile mill buildings that are shells up on the north side of town. They are like testaments to the old economy. They have been abandoned for maybe 50 years, I'm not sure, a long, long time. Those jobs were replaced with jobs at the burgeoning arsenal, building rockets, then NASA, then hi tech companies all located here. Now the standard of living is much higher. We let the mexicans in mexico make clothes. The people who worked at the mills adapted or fell behind. All told, it was a very good thing we moved forward. There will always be sad stories, and those buildings still stand and point to an older era just as the old GM cars you see on the road do the same, that will be gone soon too.
Old 08-27-09, 08:32 PM   #8
Bill M

You guys all made valid points....thanks for the input.My facility does very high precision work that even makes it harder to find people and a kid with some very good math skills would be better off going the engineering route other then the machine shop route....takes to long to make a good living as a Toolmaker
Old 08-29-09, 10:44 AM   #9
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
You guys all made valid points....thanks for the input.My facility does very high precision work that even makes it harder to find people and a kid with some very good math skills would be better off going the engineering route other then the machine shop route....takes to long to make a good living as a Toolmaker

What kind of work do you guys do ?
Old 08-29-09, 12:39 PM   #10
Bill M

Most of our work is in the medical industry, but we do a ton of work for parts on the Black Hawk helicopter.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.