Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-09, 10:49 PM   #1
MrPhotographer06
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06
Default Acoustic-Electric

i'm looking for an acoustic electric. I have a 12string yamaha, and a cort electric, so i'm looking for an A/E so i have a 6 string to replace my first guitar,which i passed to anthony. does anyone have any suggestions on what to get, or what kinds of pickups or anything? I'm looking for less than 200 bucks in the guitar, so its affordable
Old 08-22-09, 11:13 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Wow.....for $200, you're not gonna get much. Why does it need to be an acoustic electric? When I think acoustic/electric, I think like a Gibson ES-335, in other words, a hollow body electric. I can only imagine how crappy one of these would be for only $200.

If what you're looking for is an amplified acoustic guitar; i.e, more of a dreadnought style with a pickup mounted in the bridge or soundhole, you may have better luck finding something inexpensive.

I'm sure this hasn't been of much help, but what the heck...

***EDIT*** I did a little searching for you, and found out that Epiphone (think "cheaper Gibson") put out an ES-333, which is similar to an ES-335, for about $500 new. I can't personally vouch for the quality, but Epiphones, while certainly not pro gear, are usually solid. If I were you, I would maybe look around for a used one. ***EDIT***

Last edited by nofearengineer; 08-22-09 at 11:19 PM.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-09, 10:00 AM   #3
1/4 stick

Check the pawn shops MrPhoto for some used ones and ask them to let you play what you're interested in. That way you can see how it feels and see if the action is ok for you. You can probably find something good enough for just picking around the house or the campfire for 200 -300. You probably won't find something you'd want to use to play any profesional gigs with though.

But nofear is right, a guitar is definatly something where the old saying "you get what you pay for" holds true.
Old 08-23-09, 10:50 AM   #4
1/4 stick

I'm no expert by far, I haven't been playing but a couple years and most of that has been on crap guitars, thank God I found the Jay Turser I got now. Not a pro guitar, but when you go from a japanese bullet strat, to a fairly decent guitar... I just can't put the difference into words. But, this Fender doesn't look like a bad one. Though there's no way to tell what the action is like. Which is why I don't like ordering a guitar online.

Fender CD110CE Dreadnought

Naturally it being acustic it's going to have a higher action than my electric, but some are just crazy.
Old 08-23-09, 11:40 AM   #5
MrPhotographer06

yeah, i'm looking for a dreadnought.
pretty much an acoustic with a mounted pickup.
and used, is fine.

theres an ovation celebrity on craigslist here for 120, needs the battery tray.
Old 08-23-09, 01:58 PM   #6
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

Try Musicians Friend http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...ku=518364#used
Old 08-23-09, 08:42 PM   #7
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I have a Washburn 12 string that I got off of ebay as a blemish model. If you are looking for a higher end guitar, that is the way I would go. $600 guitar for $180 with a small ding on the back of the neck. They have a ton of companies selling factory blemished guitars and I have had a few buddies also buy them with good results. They usually tell what the blemish is too. You can usually just send them a mail and offer 20 or 30 less than the asking price and they will take it. Happy hunting.
Old 08-23-09, 11:19 PM   #8
MrPhotographer06

thanks!
yeah i've ordered from musicians friend plenty of times, and my grandpa has thousands of dollars of sound equipment from them.

the factory blemished is a good idea, since they'll sell cheep, and i dont really care what it looks like.
as long as it holds tune, and sounds good and has a pickup in it.

now, i dont want a piece of crap though
Old 08-24-09, 01:09 AM   #9
MississippiBoy

$200 really severely limits what you can get, but it's possible to find something decent in that range. I found a little-known guitar made by a company called Crafter at a local music store here in town about 6-7 years ago that I absolutely love. It was about $450 new, so you might could get a lovingly used one for somewhere close to your price range. Just be sure you get the one with the solid spruce top, rather than the laminated one. There's a huge difference in the sound between these two. The electronics aren't top of the line, like Takamine, Taylor, or Gibson uses, but mine sounds mighty fine to me.
Good luck, and let us know if you find something you think you might get, one of us might know something about them.
Old 08-24-09, 09:51 AM   #10
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
The electronics aren't top of the line, like Takamine, Taylor, or Gibson uses, but mine sounds mighty fine to me.
The good thing about electronics is...they can be upgraded by anyone who is good with a soldering iron. What you should spend your money on is GOOD WOOD. Pay for a better constructed guitar now, and put expensive pickups in it later, if you're strapped for cash.

My $.02
Old 08-24-09, 10:02 AM   #11
WaffleJaw

check out:

http://www.musicgoround.com/

its like a pawnshop strictly for music gear and ive seen some sick deals on here....i frequent it often for bass pedals,and specific basses/cabs

ovation makes a good acoutic.....just get ready for some slippage with that rounded back,lol.......but for $120,and all it needs is a new battery tray....that aint bad.....just make sure the electronics still works....why is the tray missing?...what mods did you screw up?....lol.....ask alot of questions when buying used.

good luck
Old 08-24-09, 01:18 PM   #12
3dkicker

Speaking of electric guitars anybody see that Les Paul passed away a week or so ago? I would have loved to go to NY to watch him perform. He was playing/performing at 93 years old......amazing.
Old 08-24-09, 02:19 PM   #13
bcklash

All you guys play your guitars at the next get togather and Bama will sing for us.

Any songs ya'll want to hear Bama sing?
Old 08-24-09, 02:36 PM   #14
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
The good thing about electronics is...they can be upgraded by anyone who is good with a soldering iron. What you should spend your money on is GOOD WOOD. Pay for a better constructed guitar now, and put expensive pickups in it later, if you're strapped for cash.

My $.02
Sure, that'll work, as long as the new pickup system is the same size as the original. I'm not gonna start whittling on any of my guitars.

Mr. Photo, if you're looking for a good sound through a sound system, the quality of the BODY of the guitar will make a difference, but not as much as the quality of the ELECTRONICS will. A cheap pickup in a $3000 Taylor guitar won't sound as good through a sound system as a good pickup in a $200 Ovation would. But the same pickup will sound better in the Taylor than in the Ovation.

And if I can ask, why do you want an acoustic-electric rather than a regular acoustic?
Old 08-24-09, 02:37 PM   #15
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
All you guys play your guitars at the next get togather and Bama will sing for us.

Any songs ya'll want to hear Bama sing?
Yes, I want him to sing solo.......solo you can't hear him....

If me playing means John sings, I ain't playing. Sorry....
Old 08-24-09, 02:49 PM   #16
1/4 stick

Quote:
Yes, I want him to sing solo.......solo you can't hear him....

If me playing means John sings, I ain't playing. Sorry....
I wonder if he can sing tenor..... ten or eleven miles down the road.
Old 08-24-09, 03:07 PM   #17
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Sure, that'll work, as long as the new pickup system is the same size as the original. I'm not gonna start whittling on any of my guitars.

Mr. Photo, if you're looking for a good sound through a sound system, the quality of the BODY of the guitar will make a difference, but not as much as the quality of the ELECTRONICS will. A cheap pickup in a $3000 Taylor guitar won't sound as good through a sound system as a good pickup in a $200 Ovation would. But the same pickup will sound better in the Taylor than in the Ovation.

And if I can ask, why do you want an acoustic-electric rather than a regular acoustic?

i could only assume acoustic/electric for the EQ ,tuner , and input
I had a acoustic / elec bass for several years with that....sounded great with proper set up.......Ive played a michael kelly bass not too long ago with an actual p/u.....it was ''ok''.....i perfer having the EQ built in.

but just like the arguement of GOOD WOOD.....its all subjective when it comes to TONE......besides,given your age....tone is something you worry about later after you get a hang of all the fundamentals , theory , and techniques.....i dont know how you long you've been playing,im just assuming.....because once you start getting into woods/electronics/amps/cabs/pedals/strings,you will never stop searching for tone...its just like anything else,they get better stuff every year

eventually you learn to shut up and play. (i just saved you 15 years)
Old 08-24-09, 03:22 PM   #18
nofearengineer

What I mean about good wood is..."does the guitar sound good acoustically?"

That's my main problem with Ovations. Many of them sound like garbage acoustically. Go figure...put an ABS body on a guitar and it doesn't sound good. They're made to be processed, not just amplified. If you get a guitar that sounds good unamplified, you've got a good foundation for a serious instrument there.

As far as "whittling" away at your guitar goes, I think you'll find a lot of standardized parts, i.e., volume and tone pots. Most of the time, they'll be mounted in some sort of plate, which you would re-use the one on the guitar, so there would be very little, if any structural modification to the guitar. Do whatever you're comfortable with though, MrPhotog.
Old 08-24-09, 03:22 PM   #19
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
i could only assume acoustic/electric for the EQ ,tuner , and input
I had a acoustic / elec bass for several years with that....sounded great with proper set up.......Ive played a michael kelly bass not too long ago with an actual p/u.....it was ''ok''.....i perfer having the EQ built in.

but just like the arguement of GOOD WOOD.....its all subjective when it comes to TONE......besides,given your age....tone is something you worry about later after you get a hang of all the fundamentals , theory , and techniques.....i dont know how you long you've been playing,im just assuming.....because once you start getting into woods/electronics/amps/cabs/pedals/strings,you will never stop searching for tone...its just like anything else,they get better stuff every year

eventually you learn to shut up and play. (i just saved you 15 years)
There's a theory?????
Old 08-24-09, 03:36 PM   #20
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 stick View Post
There's a theory?????

so the legend goes
Old 08-24-09, 03:42 PM   #21
nofearengineer

What kind of A/E bass, Waffle? I wanted one of the Carvin jobs for ages, but could never quite pull the trigger.

I do still have my trusty Carvin LB76AF. (look it up )

I put zillions of gig-hours on that thing. It definitely needs some work as all the sweat and beer it has been exposed to have hurt it. Unfortunately, they no longer make the bridge any more so I will have to "whittle" on it to make the new bridge fit. The electronics should be a perfect fit though.
Old 08-24-09, 04:28 PM   #22
WaffleJaw

sweet , sweet carvin.....oh Ive been wanting one for awhile....
im a sucker for Carvin basses.... they make good cabs too, i heard the amps werent bad either as well,but ive never played through one.

I think know the LB series....jazz neck pu and mm style bridge,right?....(Im not sure about the six string,which is what yours is isnt? LB76 ?
i gotta look it up now,lol

I didnt buy an acoustic that nice,lol..i only needed one for a few shows that we werent going have any kind of P/A.....i bought a ''sonata'' a/e bass about 6 years ago when i played in an acoustic jam band...i only used it live maybe 4 or 5 times...i used mainly electric then too,.but i loved playing that bass at home....for 300 bucks it sounded great..the action was horrible when i first got it....nut and bridge adjustments werent too hard to get were i needed them.

I ended up losing it and a ton of other basses in the pawn shops,stupid

my current main bass is the Ibanez BTB 575...i hated ibanez basses (with the exception of the ATK's) ....but the new BTB's had everything i wanted in a bass...including the scale and string spacing.....and those crazy horns demand attention,lol.....its sounds great....lots of growl and grit when i want it,and warm / smooth when i need it.
Old 08-24-09, 04:43 PM   #23
nofearengineer

Haha...it's perfectly natural the bait money is tearing me up nowadays, I think his relative, the bass monkey introduced us.

I have a Carvin amp as well, a single 18" cab with a twin 10" cab that can be tilted back which I used by itself for really small gigs....talk about your unpaid endorsements. I also have a 4-string fretted bass for more metal songs. I just liked Carvin stuff because it was reasonably priced, yet sounded pretty good. My amp was really only for my stage volume, as I played through a Bass Pod direct to the house system. Man, this is taking me back to my hey-day. I will probably have dreams tonight of the SWR rig I got to play through for a few nights once.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Photog!
Old 08-24-09, 05:47 PM   #24
WaffleJaw

the bass monkey...no kidding,right!...on my bass forum its called G.A.S (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

thats why im still paying off a 2k loan that i took out for that bass,and the new(er) GK fusion 550 amp..

yea thats a good sounding carvin set-up you got...
you gotta have a larger speaker to drive a low B imo.

I got a david eden 4x10 and GK 15''....both loaded with horns for my main rig.....i cant beat the tone.....Im finally happy with what i have,which is rare.....very rare,and i promise it wont last....after i bought that BTB,ive already started looking for a ''back up'' bass since ive sold my 7 string conklin...........god i miss that bass.....Im still 50/50 on regretting selling it.

oh and MR.Photograper...let it be known,that i shop 90% of the time ''used''
people constantly start playing instruments and give up fairly quickly....watch craiglist's like a crack head and you'll find a good deal.....i do.
Old 08-24-09, 06:05 PM   #25
nofearengineer

Hmmm...I'm not familiar with Conklin basses. I'll have to look into it. I know what you mean though...I still miss my Rick 4001 I sold to get money for a more versatile bass to gig with.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.