Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-12, 11:39 PM   #1
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default fishing with dad

Dad and I got back from fishing Milford the last 3 days around 5 today. Wind sucked all 3 days like it usually does out there. Dad did pretty good with the trolling motor but it's a little tougher to drive one of the elecric control motors like his boat has so I did my best to be patient while each time we were spinning circles on the lake This is more of a walleye trip than bass but I can't go to that lake and not fish for them a little bit, plus the walleye were TOUGH!

My biggest smallie of the trip, 17" and almost 3lbs.

Dad getting in on the action.

A solid spinnerbait smallie that just crushed it. Unfortunately I had just lost one that was well over 4 a few cast before catching this one so I wasn't quite as happy as I would have been

We got a tip from a guy at the dock by the dam that was training his retriever that guys have been catching lots of walleye in Farnum Creek. We had a few hours left in the day and it's only a 5 minute drive by road instead of 30 minutes by boat so we loaded up and made the move. Took a minute to find the fish but when we did we found everything. The wipers started blowing up behind us and I stuck a solid one on light spinning tackle that took me for a ride! The bait was way down there!

22" and 5lbs

We weren't catching the numbers of walleyes the guy told us about but we did catch some fish. Up to this point we had caught a grand total of 1 short walleye in almost 2 days fishing. We ended the night with 4 18" keepers out of 9 fish. Biggest was 20.5".

We went back to the same area the next day and the catfish had taken over! I was having fun catching blues and channels on a light spinning rod casting a gulp minnow but dad wanted walleye. I suggested an area so we made the move. Again it took us awhile to relocate them but once we got to the specific spot I thought they would be we found a few more. Today we had 3 keepers out of 7 fish with a 19.5" fish being the biggest.

It was a good time minus that wind and me almost having a rod jerked out of the boat and then throwing the same one out of the boat on the hookset Thankfully I got it back and caught the fish that caused the whole mess in the first place It was a multispecies weekend for sure we caught largemouth, smallmouth, whites, wipers, crappies, bluegills, green sunfish, pumpkinseed, channel cats, blue cats, drum, and carp.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 06:54 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Sounds like you had a fun weekend fishing with your dad. It don't get much better than that. Congrats. Those walleyes are gonna be good eattin!!!
Old 05-08-12, 10:11 AM   #3
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Good day out for anyone.
My wife is from Fort Riley,Milford produced a lot of catfish back years ago.
Wasnt aware of the smallie potential.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-12, 11:33 PM   #4
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Milford is a great smallmouth lake, both the current and previous state record smallmouths were caught out there in the past 10 years. It's also stocked with blue catfish now and has been kicking out some nice blues up to 80lbs quite frequently.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.