Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-12, 09:47 AM   #1
Jesse James
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Big day on Wilson

My dad and I went up to Wilson yesterday for some fishing. I fished a bass club tourney there Saturday and Sunday, caught good numbers of largemouth and smallmouth both days despite the weather being cold, windy, and drizzly on Sunday. My report from the weekend got my dad all fired up, so with a nice forecast and a lull in the action at work, we decided to meet up there early yesterday morning.
Gorgeous day. Warm, sunny, calm, and hardly any boats out. Just a killer day. We started out fishing for smallmouths in the morning around some rocky points. Took a bit to figure them out, picked up a couple here and there on a crankbait and a spinnerbait. Finally we pulled off some big hunks of rock on a point and slowed down. I started throwing a T-rigged green pumpking craw tube, and my dad threw a ribbed finesse worm. We waylayed them off that point for about two hours. Most fish were 15-16 1/2", with a few shorter fish and a few largemouths thrown in. Nothing real big, but good action.
After the bite slowed, we cut across the lake to a big cove. Caught a few more smallies off some rock, and then as we cruised around we saw some largemouth up in some weeds on beds. So we pulled up on a stretch of reeds with weeds out in front of them in the back of the cove. The largemouth were there! We worked them over on one stretch of reeds about 50 yards long. Hits on about every cast, whether up in the reeds or in the junk out in front of them. Unfortunately, we missed just as many as we got in the boat. Nice fat fish, but again, nothing over 3#.
After that, we ran up to the far west end where there's a bank of reeds about a half mile long. Hoped we'd find some bigger largemouths, but just numbers of 15-17" fish, all on jigs. Once the bite slowed, we went back to rocky point and caught another 15 smallies and called it a day.
All in all, it was an awesome day, fish everywhere. I was hoping to get into some larger females up in the reeds, but I can't complain, we had a blast. I took our camera hoping to document some awesome fish, but after taking one picture of the first good smallie we caught, it died. So here's one decent largemouth out of the reeds taken on my crackberry, which takes just terrible pictures.
Click image for larger version

Name:	wilson bass.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	7863
Jesse
Jesse James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 11:32 AM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Bet the key was that grass behind you making a point.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 12:57 PM   #3
WatterBoy

Sounds like an awesome day! Thanks for the report.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 01:16 PM   #4
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Sounds like a fun day out there. I've never seen Wilson without whitecaps on it and it isn't any fun to fish when it's like that.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 03:44 PM   #5
Jesse James
BassFishin.Com Member

Mule,
Yeah most of the hits came on little areas like that where the reeds made a point or off of a big clump that stood out by itself a bit.
Jesse James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 05:18 PM   #6
bassinbob

I live for days like that.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.