Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-06, 10:49 PM   #1
HulaPopr
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Drums

So I decided that I want to leanr the drums. My brother played them for a while and he kinda got out of it. I had a drum set lying around, ludwig drums, and sabian cymbals, not bad for free. Does anybody else here have any experience with the drums, can you point me in the right direction as to how I should be learning. I know several people that have learned by just listenening to music and then playing, but I'd like to know if theres anything else that would help me learn faster at first. Thanks.
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-06, 11:21 PM   #2
mack
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i play...i taught myself so im not the best person to talk about technique because mine isnt perfect...to get good, i practiced 2 hours a day...you can go to a music store and get videos...that might help...
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-06, 11:23 PM   #3
Christopherkeene9

Nice seeing you around Hula!!!

You might want to talk to Brandon Brunhammer, he knows a little!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 10:41 AM   #4
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack View Post
i play...i taught myself so im not the best person to talk about technique because mine isnt perfect...to get good, i practiced 2 hours a day...you can go to a music store and get videos...that might help...
Hmmmmm...Wannabe drummer...."Practice"....Neighbors....=Lynching

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 10:52 AM   #5
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by HulaPopr View Post
...but I'd like to know if theres anything else that would help me learn faster at first. Thanks.
Hula, (love that skirt!)

Inquire as to the availability of private lessons, preferably at a studio (see: Sound-proof) or at your school's band hall. Even though you aren't enrolled in the band program, the band director may be able and willing to help you find an instructor and provide a proper place to practice where you won't incur the wrath of family and neighbors.
There may be a skilled percussionist in the high school band who will give you lessons in the rudiments of drumming for a small fee.
"Playing by ear" is rarely a good thing. Learn the basics! A lot of pop and rock musicians began with formal study and it paid off.
If you are young enough, you really ought to consider enrolling in Band. You will not only have a better learning curve, but you will greatly benefit from the discipline, teamwork, and camaraderie to be enjoyed as part of a "team". Besides, you'll get into the football games for free!
It's a proven fact that band students have fewer disciplinary issues, higher GPA's, and better SAT scores...TRUE! So get yer rump over to the Band Hall and see about joining the Malaria County Consolidated High School Band, the famed Malaria High Marching Muggers!

Yer kindly Uncle,
FlyRod

PeeYess: While trumpeters get the best chicks, the drummers are a close second...food for thought!
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 06:44 PM   #6
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hey jb think pooper needs to talk with denny..

zooker
Old 11-08-06, 08:39 PM   #7
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

yea denny plays drums, you can email him at drum4life2day@yahoo.com

i'll tell him for ya...he's been in heavy metal bands for about 20 years and has some CDs out of some of his bands
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 10:13 PM   #8
HulaPopr

Drum lessons would cost money that I would rather send on fishing... . I've got some books that I am learning the beasics from, but I'm at the point where I can start to play some of the songs I hear on the radio, so I think I'll just keep using the book to get the basics and then start playing by ear. Thanks...
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 10:34 PM   #9
mack
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

try to learn how to read music and play different time signatures...
mack is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.