Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 12-24-07, 03:48 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default --St.Croix/Curado--

OK, Guys, I know we went through this before, but now I have another rod in mind. Since you already know this rod is for frogs,(Horny Toads, Buzzfrogs, Sizmic Toads, etc.)Jimmy's, Spooks, Sammy's, and buzzbaits, and you know I want a Croix, the question is:

>How heavy of a power?

I was looking at an LTBC70HF: 7', Heavy, Fast Action, 4.4Oz., 3/8-1Oz. Lure Weight.

The other rod I now have in mind is and LTBC70MHM: 7', Medium-Heavy, Moderate Action, 3.6Oz., 3/8-1Oz. Lure Weight.

So, is Heavy too heavy for my purposes?

-Lunk-
Old 12-24-07, 07:01 PM   #2
pig n jig

I am relatively new with frogs, but I don't think the same rod can be used for frogs & Jimmy, spooks, sammys.You might get away with a buzzbait, but it would be about it.

Saint Croix is known to be heavier than most companies ratings. For example, a Saint croix MH is like most Heavy action ratings.

The thing to do is figure out how sloppy your froggin grounds are.I have a saint croix flipping stick that is MH action. It is too stiff to pitch jigs with so that is my frog rod.I can get away with it here seeing , if I can't pull the bass out, I can put the trolling motor on high and go get her.A real genuine frogger probably wouldn't mess up the sloppy paradise, so they would use a heavy action rod to pull them out of the mess. If I get the froggin fever, I would still use the Saint croix, I use 50 lb braid, I would just tie the braid off to a cleat and start up the lil' big motor to pull the bass out. As you can tell, I don't know nothing about froggin, but I do know frogs and top water hard baits with treble hooks require 2 different rods. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-07, 10:37 PM   #3
lunker-lander

Well, my "Froggin' Grounds", as PNJ stated, consist mainly of: Sunken willow limbs, floating milfoil, slop/scum, floating cottonseeds from cottenwood trees, lilly pads, etc... Nothin' too major, but heavy enough where a moderate rod is needed and mono is not enough.

But, for example, my Crankin' rod, a St.Croix Premier Crankbait, Med/Hvy., is not as heavy as my other St.Croix Med/Hvy., an Avid Series 7 footer. My Cranker is a little lighter as compared to my Avid, although both are Med/Hvy's. It sounds somewhat like your Flippin' Stick, PNJ. It's like a Graphite toothpick. A fish will bend it, but it seems unbreakable w/o a lure tied on...

I think the Heavy just might out-weigh the Med/Hvy. though, because I may also try a little hard-core Flippin' and Pitchin', but on the contrary, you want a softer tip for Flippin'/Pitchin', right?

???-Lunk-???
Old 12-26-07, 09:18 PM   #4
pig n jig

Well, I don't flip jigs very much, due to its a shallow water presentation.I flip in water 3 feet, or less so I don't have any more line out than I can pull up with 1 pull of my free hand, which is 3 feet of water , or less for my liking. Not everyone will agree to a softer tipped jig rod, but in my opinion, its easier to put a jig under motion and pitch with a softer tipped rod.It takes less effort and less arm movement to get the jig to its destination.

What ever you decide is fine with me. I think its important for you to buy what you want and not settle for something you won't be happy with.

I just don't want you to get a topwater bait come flying back at you because the fish got off when you were using too heavy of a rod for a treble hooked lure. P N J

Last edited by pig n jig; 12-26-07 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-27-07, 06:00 AM   #5
pig n jig

Hey Lunk, They have been running a rebate on Shimano reels.That H.E.G. system is a great design for it is a bit heavier in weight from the original line, but it is beefed up, probably an overkill. At first, I thought they messed up changing the famous Curado line, but now I view it differently. P N J
Old 12-27-07, 12:45 PM   #6
lunker-lander

Yeah, that's why I am leaning toward the Curado PNJ. The $50 rebate is good until April 30th, so it will give me enough time to save up for the rod/reel.

-Lunk-
Old 12-31-07, 07:12 PM   #7
lunker-lander

What about the McCoy braid? Have any of you Guys tried this yet?

-Lunk-

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.