Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 03-20-12, 08:05 PM   #76
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hey Bryce, is Stephen Headrick still planning on stopping by one evening?

Which evening?

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-12, 09:07 PM   #77
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
Hey Bryce, is Stephen Headrick still planning on stopping by one evening?

Which evening?

-Mark
I've been having trouble contacting him lately. Not getting any answer. I had told him Friday for lunch when we met.
Old 03-21-12, 08:15 PM   #78
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I've been having trouble contacting him lately. Not getting any answer. I had told him Friday for lunch when we met.
Alright, midday Friday sounds goods.

I'm looking forward to meeting him and hearing what he has to say.

-Mark
Old 03-21-12, 11:43 PM   #79
nofearengineer

By the way... how stoked is everybody about this shindig? I'm having dreams about it already haha. I am feeling so much better physically this year than last. I may even do more than sleep all the time.
Old 03-22-12, 12:31 AM   #80
bassboogieman

Dreams? DREAMS? More like a nightmare for me - I keep dreaming you and I are the only ones to show up in the middle of a hurricane.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-12, 08:41 PM   #81
woody

Default Bronzeback Dream'n

Here's something to dream about...

Here's a pic of David Haye's world record smallmouth bass he caught in Litchfield, Kentucky. The smallie measured 21 inches and 2/3 inches at 11 pounds and 15 ounces. The world record bass was pulled from Dale Hollow Lake in 1955. Hayes had 300 feet of fishing line out when the fish hit, the lure that the world record bass hit on was a 600 series pearl Bomber plug.

Here's a pic of a 12lbs smallmouth that was shocked up by the Kentucky Wildlife Services on Laurel River Lake.

-Mark
Old 04-02-12, 02:43 PM   #82
bassboogieman

Received my Dale Hollow lake chart today. A couple things that were noted that I was not aware of, so I'll note them here for those that may also not know these details. My information is based on last year, I think, as I haven't sent for my TN license yet and would expect to get a copy of the F&G regulations along with that.

Smallmouth bass - SLOT LIMIT, 16"-21", fish between those lenghts must be returned to the water. Creel limit for smallmouth is TWO, one less than 16" and one "trophy" fish above 21". I know most of us practice catch & release, but if you're thinking about having some for dinner, the slot information is noteworthy.

Dale Hollow lies within the states of Kentucky and Tennessee. The chart notes there is NOT a recriprocal agreement between the two states, ie: the appropriate state license is required to fish in that state's portion of the lake. We will be headquarted at the southwestern end of the lake well into Tennessee. The creeks comming into the northeren end of the lake, primarily Sulfer Cr., Illwell Cr. and the northern shore of the Wolf River lie in Kentucky. From Cedar Hill Resort, it would be an approximate run of 10 miles to reach Sulpher Cr, so there is plenty of water within the boundaries of Tennessee if you do not wish to purchase a Kentucy license.

Normal Pool: 651'. Lake is used for electric power generation, so lake level may vary dependant upon weather conditions or power requirements.

Forage: Gizzard shad, Threadfin shad, Alewife, various minnows and, of course, crayfish.

Bottom: BOULDERS (boaters - pay attention), broken rock, gravel and sand.

Cover: Primarily submergent - sandgrass, coontail and pond weed. Due to very clear water grass can be found to a depth of 30'. Some milfoil has been found in the lake. Due to depth, steep drop offs and winter draw down emergent or floating grass is limited.

Hope this information is helpful in planning your trip.
Old 04-02-12, 03:42 PM   #83
MississippiBoy

Thanks, Bruce. I'm definitely going to be waaay out of my element there. I'm used to chocolate milk-type water, and I'm usually fishing no more than 15-20 feet deep, and usually less than 10 ft.
So, I guess I better leave the 80-lb braid at home, huh?
Old 04-02-12, 04:01 PM   #84
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
So, I guess I better leave the 80-lb braid at home, huh?
Absolutely. The area around where we are staying is almost all rocky shelves, ledges, and incredible dropoffs.

What I have heard as far as chucking and winding is:
clear water: jig
muddy water: crank
Old 04-02-12, 05:40 PM   #85
bassboogieman

Another recommended bait from the lake map that was mentioned for the deep water smallies is a silver buddy. I've used them in late fall when the water gets cold, but would not have thought to use one in the spring as a deep jig. I'll have a few in the boat - just in case. Early may is supposedly great topwater time for smallies. Spring is really early so we may have more of a summer pattern, remains to be seen. But topwater samllie action - it doesn't get much better - so I'm hoping for some of that. I also have the option of my "deep water Jika rig".
Old 04-02-12, 05:55 PM   #86
bcklash

37 Days 12 hours 42 minutes and 13 seconds.
Old 04-02-12, 08:33 PM   #87
nobass

as i live in tenn . you can buy your lic almost any where in tenn. if you do not want to get them on line. same in ky any wal mart and bait shops sell them along with most gas station and mom and pop store. goggle southern woods and water with huge rowland then send him a emaill he will tell you want is working on dale hollow when you want to go. man i wish i could be there. hair jigs are always good bait. anything in crawdad.
Old 04-02-12, 10:45 PM   #88
IUbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Regarding the boulders. Yall will be fine. There is only one shallow spot I want you to be careful of. I have attachted two pictures. The one that is zoomed out is for reference, and the zoomed in island is the island I want you guys to be careful about. I am going to try to make this as simple as possible. Heading left from Cedar Hill (opposite of the dam) you head toward Mitchell Creek and then go through the right of the island you will see (the island at the bottom of the zoomed out map. Also on that map is Mitchell Creek - it is the bottom cove on the lower left of the map). After that you head north to the bigger part of the lake this is where I want you to look. There is an island on the zoomed out map (small island top right corner, also this is the island that is the zoomed in picture). Here is the shallow spot. As you can see on the map all the boats are going to the left of the island. However, do not cut too close to the island. It looks like you can, but 30 or so yards out of the right edge of the island is a shallow spot. Sometimes it can be 1.5 feet, other times it can be 5 feet. I do not know the lake level right now, but I just wanted you guys to be aware. Hope this all made a little sense
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1585.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	7786   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8150.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	7787  
IUbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-12, 12:24 AM   #89
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Wish I could go I was driving through the area or at least close enough I kept looking at the map to see if we were gonna go over it or Percy priest on my way to clarksville. It didnt happen but I could tell I was close by the lay of the land. Maybe next spring...
Old 04-03-12, 06:49 PM   #90
woody

According to my topo-map that would be Clark Island that we should be aware of.

-Mark
Old 04-03-12, 10:30 PM   #91
bassboogieman

I marked that cut to the right of the island with a RED X on my paper chart, thanks for the tip!
Old 04-03-12, 11:47 PM   #92
nofearengineer

The really interesting thing is that on the East side of Clark Island it is a big shallow flat. And on the west side, exactly where that boat is, it is over a hundred feet deep.
Old 04-04-12, 04:22 AM   #93
woody

It kinda makes me wonder what this river valley would of looked like before it was flooded out. It had to of been an amazing place.

I'll have to do some searching for some old pictures of the river valley.

-Mark
Old 04-04-12, 11:16 AM   #94
IUbass

Yeah, it is pretty wild stuff. Just wanted you guys to be careful and aware. As soon as you pass to the left of Clark Island heading toward the main part of the lake, youll see two buoys to stay in between. Pretty easy to spot though. Being spring I am sure it is above normal level, so it might not even be a problem, but depending on conditions you can see pontoons and jet skis sometimes beached up there and have a party or so.

Mainly, be careful at night. There has been people killed there when they hit it on full speed. Getting thrown out of the boat would not be fun. Regarding night, do be careful of the shore line. One of the members of the family that owns Cedar Hill was going to fix a problem on a houseboat and hit shore just on the other side of Cedar Hill and died. Just something to think about.

I know there is an abandoned town and cemetery on the lake, I think however it is on the Kentucky side, but it would be wild to catch a spooky fish there at night.
Old 04-04-12, 11:34 AM   #95
nofearengineer

Here in Indiana, it is illegal to drive your boat more than 10 mph from dusk to dawn. The Tennessee law is a little more vague. It simply says "excessive "speed" in "limited visiblity conditions." I would consider the pitch black of the Hollow (though we will have a full moon) to be "limited visibility". Plane out your boat at night at your own risk.
Old 04-04-12, 12:14 PM   #96
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I would consider the pitch black of the Hollow (though we will have a full moon) to be "limited visibility". Plane out your boat at night at your own risk.
No, thanks. Whatever I might hit up there would most likely be a lot harder than what I might hit here, and I barely idle around in the dark here....
I'm confused, though....is that shallow spot we're talking about in that channel between the island and the mainland, or is it out to the west in the main part of the lake, where we can see that one boat running?

EDIT: I looked at that island on Bing...the picture there must have been taken when the water was a good bit lower than when the Google image was. Check out that island here:

http://binged.it/HQmicv

Last edited by MississippiBoy; 04-04-12 at 01:09 PM.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 07:10 PM   #97
IUbass

That bing map was great. It shows it clearly. It is the sandy part north a little of the island on that Bing map
Old 04-04-12, 07:31 PM   #98
bassboogieman

Well if the water is up, those long sandy points on the west side of the pennisula and south of the island have rock piles on them. I'll be checking those out.
Old 04-04-12, 07:57 PM   #99
woody

As of today the water is 2.5 feet below normal pool.

Current lake level.http://www.tva.gov/lakes/dhh_r.htm

-Mark

Last edited by woody; 04-04-12 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-04-12, 08:29 PM   #100
nofearengineer

The last two times I've been to Dale in May, the lake was 8-10 feet above summer pool. Hopefully this year it will be right around normal.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.