Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-10, 11:01 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Browning Fishing Pliers Review

Browning Fishing Pliers Review

Make: Browning
Model: Long Nose Fishing Pliers
Price: $49.99

While I’ve been bass fishing for only 3 years, I’ve been fishing most of my life. And throughout that time, I’ve had my fair share of rusted up pliers. About a year after I got into bass fishing, I realized it’s going to be much cheaper in the long run to buy a decent pair of pliers than to keep buying cheaper regular needle nose pliers.

I got the Browning Pliers on sale for almost 50% off two years ago at BPS’s Spring Classic, and have been using them since then.

Features: For 50 dollars, you get a pair of pliers (needle nose or regular), a nylon sheath, and lanyard. The sheath features a Velcro strap to hold the pliers in, and a metal clip for attaching them to your belt or pants. A lot of the time, I clip them on the outside of my pocket if I don’t have a belt on.

The pliers themselves are stainless steel with a titanium coating. They feature replaceable Tungsten alloy cutters ($4.99 for replacement blades), and rubberized grips for superior leverage, even when wet. The pliers’ handles are spring loaded to keep them open so you don’t have to fumble around trying to get them open when using them. The stainless steel construction does make then hefty pliers at a weight of 10.4 oz. One thing is for sure, they don’t feel cheap.

Performance: The spring loaded handles really help when trying to get the pliers into a fish’s mouth or on a hook. I’ve never once had a problem with the grips becoming slippery, even when wet or covered in fish slime.

One downside to the pliers is the ends are fairly large, so using them for small-mouthed fish or tiny hooks is out of the question.

The Tungsten alloy cutters are placed on the side of the pliers, and not in the jaw. I find this is a love/hate thing. Some people will love the position of them, while others will hate it. The cutters are designed to cut braid and will work for braid, mono, and fluoro. I’ve had no problems cutting up to 20lb mono and 50lb braid. After two years, they don’t cut as good as they did new, but they still cut much better than a standard pair of pliers. I can see possibly getting a new pair of the replaceable tungsten cutters this winter.

Durability: So far I’ve had no serious problems at with the durability of the pliers. They still open and close smoothly, and I haven’t oiled them once. I have seen a few very small rust or tarnish spots on the pliers, but nothing that effects them in any way other than their looks.

The only other issue I’ve had, which isn’t even with the pliers, is the Velcro strap on the sheath is starting to fray.

Conclusion: These are great pair of pliers that I can see lasting me more than 10 years. This is a good investment, and if you don’t have a pair of good fishing pliers, I’d highly suggest getting a pair. Or more specifically, I’d suggest getting a pair of these.

BB
Old 07-16-10, 11:55 AM   #2
nofearengineer

My problem with expensive pliers, and any other gadget, is I tend to lose them. With that in mind, sometimes a cheapie is better.

Those do look like nice pliers though. You knew I would have to laugh at the Titanium coating. It basically serves no purpose other than to lure fishermen in and raise the cost.
Old 07-16-10, 02:44 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
My problem with expensive pliers, and any other gadget, is I tend to lose them. With that in mind, sometimes a cheapie is better.

Those do look like nice pliers though. You knew I would have to laugh at the Titanium coating. It basically serves no purpose other than to lure fishermen in and raise the cost.
I knew you'd say that. I don't completely disagree with you. But at the time, there weren't a lot of options in that price range for good fishing pliers.

BB
Old 07-16-10, 04:59 PM   #4
WTL

You can buy small springloaded needlenose at walmart for less than $3.

15/3=16+

So, in theory, you can spend 50 bucks on browning pliers and hope they dont sprout legs, or you can buy 16 pairs of pliers from wally world, and over a 10 year period if you lose or irreparably break 16 pairs of pliers, you have a problem.

Of course, if you have the money and want them, thats one thing, but I dont think that is a good deal.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 05:14 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post

15/3=16+

So, in theory, you can spend 50 bucks on browning pliers and hope they dont sprout legs, or you can buy 16 pairs of pliers from wally world, and over a 10 year period if you lose or irreparably break 16 pairs of pliers, you have a problem.

Of course, if you have the money and want them, thats one thing, but I dont think that is a good deal.
I have a habit of forgetting my pliers and leaving them outside. I've rusted up more than a few pairs like that. These have been left outside twice and still work great.

How good are a pair of $3 pliers going to be? My guess is not very. Sure they'll work, but they're crafted out of inferior materials, and to a lesser quality standard.

Lastly, have you ever tried to cut braided line with a decent pair of pliers, let alone a $3 pair from walmart? So you have to add in the cost of something that will cleanly cut braided line to your $3 pliers.

I'd also assume $3 walmart pliers don't come with a sheath or lanyard. I've lost pliers overboard before as well.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd just rather have a pair of good fishing pliers than deal with lost, broken, or rusted up cheapo pliers. (besides, I only paid $25 for em! )

Oh, here's a more economical pair of pliers for you Billy

BB
Old 07-16-10, 05:20 PM   #6
WTL

Under my seat on the front deck, I have two pieces of pipe cut and electrical tied to the seat post. One accommodates my pliers (in this case they are rapalas, given as a gift - maybe 10 bucks or more, but the 3 dollar pliers do work) and in the other I have scissors. I use scissors to cut line. I also have a pair of nail clippers on a spring lanyard attached to the post so that if I ever forget the scissors, I can cut the line with that.

Not at all criticizing you or those who would spend $50 on pliers. We all have different bottoms lines and different concerns. I just get along quite well with my method, and thought to give a review of it as opposed to the $50 route. My $50 goes to gas.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 05:46 PM   #7
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post

15/3=16+

What he said...for $50, or even $25, you can buy several pairs of pliers and leave them all over the place, in case you forget to bring them. If you forget that one pair or drop it in the water, you're screwed. But if you have multiples, you can keep one in the truck, one in each tackle box, a couple in some different compartments in the boat, etc. And as far as cutting line, a pocketknife works fine on anything except braid, and for that, use a pair of scissors. I bought 4 pairs of scissors at Lowe's one time out of a bargain bin...$.97 each. Did I need scissors? Not really, but I didn't NOT need them, either.
If you want good stuff, go for it...I just don't see the need for such an expensive pair of pliers.
Old 07-16-10, 06:59 PM   #8
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

At the bottom of every lake around here lies some of my needlenose pliers donated by the Bandit. So yea we buy the cheapos. Those brownings are sweet, just out reach of my wallet.
Old 07-16-10, 08:16 PM   #9
Bassboss

Cool biggins! I've been needing to need to get a pair of plier for a long time... 5 months at least. I may get a good pair soon, probably nothing that expensive though!!

I'll find something on e-bay probably.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.