Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-11, 01:08 PM   #1
DougV
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Understanding GPS Mapping and How it Works

Here's a short video clip on How to Understand how GPS Mapping Data is Displayed over a Map Data on your fish finder. Hope it helps make's it easier to understand how GPS Data is overlayed over the Mapping Data:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfIf9LF2-yE
DougV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 01:33 PM   #2
CiK

Great video Doug!

I have a question. I am in the market for a boat, and want HB units on it. I will either be going with the 1100 or 900 series units. Which map chip should I buy for my area? I understand certain years have more information than other. I am in the Cincinnati Ohio area and won't fish too far beyond the Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky waters. Is there a better year for the lakes in my area?

Tony
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 02:50 PM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

CIK, I don't know what Doug will advise, but I like my 2010 Navionics Hotmaps Platinum East. I'm not sure if they're coming out with a 2011 version. I also got a free HD lake with it. I picked Dale Hollow...the level of detail is ridiculous.
Old 01-23-11, 03:08 PM   #4
CiK

NFE, how is the detail for the other lakes? Especially ones like Monroe, Patoka and the dreaded Ohio River.

Tony
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 06:04 PM   #5
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Patoka is really good. I haven't taken my boat to Monroe (fished it out of Woody's boat aka "Screamin Demon").

One thing I will tell you, is while I like the Navionics maps....DO NOT spend a dime on their "Hotmaps Explorer" software! I had a big rant thread on that software last year, as they left out all of the maps they sell a paper version of. That includes Patoka, Monroe, Brookville......yeah, all of the big lakes.

If you get a 99X or 119X HB SI unit, you're going to be finding more detail with that thing than any line on a chart can tell you. Trust me.
Old 01-23-11, 10:27 PM   #6
DougV

I would review the Navionics Website Lake List to see which ones are in HD these will have the 1 Foot Contours: http://www.navionics.com/LakeCharts_HMPremium.asp

Navionics has a new program that will allow you to update your maps during the year for no additional charge since they are now doing a continuous updating program as they receive data from the field. Not sure how it's all going to work but was recently announced from Navionics.

Looks like the East Region will be the best coverage for you.
Old 01-23-11, 10:34 PM   #7
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Are those updates only for newly purchased chips? I have one that i bought last year and one about 4 years ago.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-11, 12:33 AM   #8
DougV

My understanding this is for the 2011 Mapping Cards...look in Bass Pro or Cabelas Catalog I think that is where I seen the info. Nothing updated on the site yet.
Old 01-25-11, 10:07 AM   #9
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

how good are the maps compared to whats preloaded in the 798?
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.