Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-11, 02:51 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default WM Flipping rod review

I know that I had posted a joke about the rod earlier in the week, but I have ahd a chance to fish it a couple of times and wanted to give it an
honest review.

First a little history on why I chose that rod.
I had been in the market for a flipping/pitching rod with some specific qualities. I wanted an 8' rod, but would have accepted down to 7'6". I wanted the rod to toss upto 2 Oz. I didn't want to order the rod from online because I wanted to have it in my hand for my tournament on Saturday. It was dependant on a cragislist sale that I didn't complete until Friday, so online was out.
I wanted to get those things for under $150, the closer to $100 the better.

After doing all of my research, it came down to 3 rods that I could pick up in my timeline which matched my other criteria.
The IRod Genesis 7'11" Punching rod $149, the TFO 7'6" $100 and the WM flipping rod 8' $90.
I went to my local shop with my revo S in hand to try them out. I had it spooled up with 25lbs seaguar, a 1 oz weight and a brushhawg.
I have to admit that I really liked the IRod. It felt comfortable in my hand as I drug the weight across the carpet, I could feel every little bump.
I almost didn't try another rod, but felt that since I was there I should.
The TFO was heavy and I got very little feeling out of it so it was put back quickly.
The WM, was very close to the IRod in feeling. I could feel just as much of the carpet as with the IRod. The WM felt a little bit more tip heavy to me, but not enough to justify the $60 price difference. Additionally, I like the slightly faster tip on the WM.

Fishing it.
I made it out Saturday for my tourney with flipping and pitching being my main plan on the day and the rod perfomed just fine. I was using the same reel and line, but ended up changing over to a 1.5oz weight. I was able to pull three fish from deep in the tullies without a problem. I was tossing I never had worries that the rod didn't have enough backbone. I found that I could feel the weight as it slid down the weeds just fine. I was able to detect the bite simultaneous with seeing the line move.
Sunday afternoon I went to a small local pond and used the same rig for a frog. I was tossing the river2sea step wa. While the rod is rated as light as 3/8, I did notice like a lot of heavy rods, it doesn't load up great with baits that light. It took adjusting my cast a little to dial it in, but once I did, it worked just fine. I did not land a fish with a frog on it, but am confident that I could.
I switched over to an IKA and managed to pick up 2 small fish. I was pleased that I didn't need to modify my hookset due to the rod's size. The same quick wrist jerk worked as it would on my normal medium rod that I use for senkos and IKAs.

All in all, I am pleased with the purchase. I am sure that the rod builders out there would have other criteria when looking for a rod, but for me it worked just fine.
Old 01-31-11, 06:07 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I know how hard you looked to find the perfect rod that will fit your needs. It sounds like you hit a bullseye and got everything you needed. Congrats and I am glad you like it. And I am glad that you gave that rod the pleasure of strapping a Revo on it's back rather than making it carry around the Curado lol jk.
Old 01-31-11, 07:58 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
...And I am glad that you gave that rod the pleasure of strapping a Revo on it's back rather than making it carry around the Curado lol jk.
Yeah, I think it was a good balance. Don't want to punish a Daiwa on a W&M rod, but don't want to punish the rod with a curado.

Thanks for the review Cass, glad you like the rod!

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.