Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-10, 02:59 PM   #1
LSLURES
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Types of fluorocarbon line

I have experimented a lot with different types of line but wanted to know everyone's success with a certain type of fluorocarbon! I began using bass pro XPS fluorocarbon but I had a ton of problems with it becoming brittle and burning itself when i cinched a knot. So this past year i switched to Berkley transitions. It has a orange visible color to it out of the water and is unbelievably invisible under water. I swear my numbers in fish increased. Tell me what you guys use and your success with it. Thanks!
LSLURES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 03:34 PM   #2
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use primarily BPS XPS fluorocarbon on all of my rods:
8lb for dropshotting
10lb on two spinning reels for tubes and a casting rod for jerkbaits
12lb for t-rig plastics, spinner baits, shallow CB/traps and deep divng CB's.
17lb for pitching/jigs

I also use the KVD line and lure conditioner and don't have much of an issue with break offs. I did try some 10lb Seaguar Invizx as I needed more line because didn't have another spool of BPS line and really liked it for tubes, may try it again next year.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 03:50 PM   #3
HarveysMinnow
BassFishin.Com Active Member

In terms of overall quality and flexibility, IMO it will be hard to do better than Seaguar Invizx lines. It is rather expensive however. I'm going to be testing the relative strength of various knots with this brand soon, so hang around and we'll see what happens. (Please see also the thread I started in the 'Techniques & Presentations' Forum, entitled "Getting the most from your knots".)

/
Old 12-16-10, 04:38 PM   #4
cassidyta

+1 on the seaguar. It is the only fluoro that I use any more.
The BPS worked for me, but I have to order it so I stick with the seaguar.
I use
4lbs for drop shot
8bs for T-rigged and tubes.
I will go upto 12lbs for most lures

And Harvey, I enjoyed the knot discussion as well.
Old 12-16-10, 05:18 PM   #5
LSLURES
BassFishin.Com Member

I have never even tried seaguar to be honest but i wanted to try it out. That berkley transitions and very expensive too and def. puts a whole in my pocket if you have 8 rods laying on your deck.
Im a big drop-shot fisherman in the summertime but the spring i do it to bed fish. I have been using very light weight fluoro (4lb) with a 7 foot duckett and i have had nothing but success. I dont think bed fishing can be torn apart any better than with a drop shot with a green and chartreuse roboworm imitating a bluegill. Try it out if you havent because it is one of my bags of tricks during the spawm and prespawn. Im gonna stick with berkley transitions this year, its not stiff and its so abbrasive resistant! u guys ought to try it out
LSLURES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 08:14 PM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Segaur InvisX is one of my favorites.

I still want to try AbrasX and Sunline Super FC.

BB
Old 12-16-10, 10:56 PM   #7
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

For baitcasting reels, I love Trilene 100%. It acts like a mono, has great know strength and it doesn't break when it gets a little kink. I have invisx on my spinning reel in 6lb, it seems to be a bit limper than the trilene.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 11:10 PM   #8
Tavery5

I don't use allot of true flourocarbon line, when I do, I use Seaguar AbrasX, otherwise I use flourocarbon coated co-poly, P-line.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 11:28 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01

I have been using Seaguar Abrazx ever since it came out and have yet to have a single problem. I used Invizx before that and never had a problem with it either, I just wanted to try the Abrazx to see if it was as tough as they claimed it was and I haven't looked back since. In my opinion you can't go wrong with Invizx or Abrazx.
Old 12-17-10, 11:40 PM   #10
LilJakeC
BassFishin.Com Member

I use the Vicious fluorcarbon in 15lb test for flipping and pitching jigs and T-rigs in medium to light cover and haven't had a problem. This line is super strong. It is slightly stiffer than most fluorocarbons, but it is nothing KVD L&L can't handle. I have also used it for dragging jigs and T-rigs and it will cast and handle great.
Old 12-18-10, 11:30 AM   #11
CiK
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Seaguar InvisX here. It was the first one I tried, and it treated me well so I haven't tried others yet.
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-10, 11:35 AM   #12
Jim80

Seaguar Invizex here as well it's a nice sturdy line and I have stopped trying to find one that i like better .

Jim
Old 12-18-10, 12:42 PM   #13
Tavery5

This discussion got me interested in FC line, I started looking at reviews and testing of FC lines. TT has a great 2 part review/testing of some of the more popular FC lines. The part of their testing that really stood out and somewhat shocked me was the results on stretch testing. They used standard Trilene XL in 14lb test and compared FC lines that had the same dia +- .002. Most of the FC lines tested showed a considerable amount more of stretch than the Trilene. A couple of lines that were better than Trilene were P-line, and Seaguar. I find it strange that on almost every box of FC line that I have looked at they always make some type of statement that leads you to believe that their line is low stretch. The tests do not support this statement.
Old 12-18-10, 01:16 PM   #14
keithdog

I gave up true flourocarbon line last year in favor of PLine Fluoroclear line, a fluorocarbon coated copolymer line. I will do the same this year as it was more supple, had less memory, and stronger than any fluorocarbon line I'd ever used, just as invisible under water in my opinion, and fairly inexpensive.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-10, 02:52 PM   #15
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
This discussion got me interested in FC line, I started looking at reviews and testing of FC lines. TT has a great 2 part review/testing of some of the more popular FC lines. The part of their testing that really stood out and somewhat shocked me was the results on stretch testing. They used standard Trilene XL in 14lb test and compared FC lines that had the same dia +- .002. Most of the FC lines tested showed a considerable amount more of stretch than the Trilene. A couple of lines that were better than Trilene were P-line, and Seaguar. I find it strange that on almost every box of FC line that I have looked at they always make some type of statement that leads you to believe that their line is low stretch. The tests do not support this statement.
I have read (and posted that same article on here) and I too was surprised. IMO, fluoro line is way overrated. The only time I use it is for deep cranking, and as a leader on my smallmouth spinning setups.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-10, 02:55 PM   #16
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
I have read (and posted that same article on here) and I too was surprised. IMO, fluoro line is way overrated. The only time I use it is for deep cranking, and as a leader on my smallmouth spinning setups.

Makes me think that the Flourocarbon coated Co-Poly's might be the better deal.
Old 12-18-10, 03:14 PM   #17
Jrob78

I've never been too impressed with the fluorocarbon lines I've tried. I too have seen the stretch tests and it's just too brittle. I am a very careful knot tier but I have had too many break offs in the spool after a backlash. I always go back to P-Line copolys. Best bang for the buck in my opinion.
Old 12-18-10, 03:17 PM   #18
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I've never been too impressed with the fluorocarbon lines I've tried. I too have seen the stretch tests and it's just too brittle. I am a very careful knot tier but I have had too many break offs in the spool after a backlash. I always go back to P-Line copolys. Best bang for the buck in my opinion.
I try other lines...but I always go back to P-line. Best lines on the market IMHO.
Old 12-18-10, 03:23 PM   #19
Jrob78

CX and CXX Fluorescent are half off at The Hook Up Tackle right now!
Old 12-18-10, 03:29 PM   #20
CamG

Quote:
CX and CXX Fluorescent are half off at The Hook Up Tackle right now!
Wow...that's cheap! Wish it was the moss green.
Old 12-18-10, 05:03 PM   #21
Tavery5

That is a good price, I use allot of the Flouroclear and the CX.
Old 12-18-10, 05:53 PM   #22
Jrob78

I mainly use CX but I am giving Fluoroclear a test on a few reels now and I really like it, it seems to have less memory than CX.
Old 12-19-10, 11:09 AM   #23
CamG

Quote:
I mainly use CX but I am giving Fluoroclear a test on a few reels now and I really like it, it seems to have less memory than CX.
It does have slightly less memory, but that comes at a cost. It just doesn't have the breaking strength that CX or CXX has.
Old 12-19-10, 12:04 PM   #24
Tavery5

I think I am going to try one more Fluorocarbon line before I write it off. Curently I am using Seaguar AbrasX, but I was really dissapointed at the amount of stretch the Seaguar line showed in testing. I looked over all the results and found a line that I think faired well in almost all the catagories that were measured. P-line Halo, gonna give it a try and see how it handles.
Old 12-21-10, 11:22 PM   #25
MikeS.
BassFishin.Com Member

I like the Berkley vanish fluorocarbon, it does have some memory though. The sensitivity is amazing. I've switched from mono to this and don't miss nearly as many bass.
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.