Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-12, 02:52 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Ok Sports Fans

Now we've had a great couple of posts on Ike's good or bad behavior and how it reflects on the sport of fishing.
Now I'd like to hear from everyone who they feel brings the most to the sport of fishing!
As always, why?

Now I'm not talking just the best pro or best fisherperson, although I would think success would play a part. You got folks like G-man, Horton, KVD and yes Ike along with many many more, who are in the public eye frequently. Then you got folks like Big Fish Dahlberg and even Bill Dance who you can't help but feel better about your abilities after a 1/2 hour of watching him. Some do things for kids, some for disabled, some for Vets and the list goes on. There are alot of good people involved in our great sport. Some are fun to watch while others teach us things we may never have tried without thier input.

I feel Scott Martin brings alot to the table. Never really has lived off his fathers great name. Is great with kids.(The Future) Great promoter of the sport. Brings great learning opportunities through his TV exposure. Always is a great winner or loser on his 'Challenge' show. Brought new things to the sport. (He's the bait in a can guy, I think) He's just a real class act. Oh and He's a pretty darn good fisherman too!!!

And I really don't care if you disagree with someone else's choice or why. I just want to know who you DO think brings the most to our sport and it's continued growth.

Thanks all and you have the very best Thursday evening you possible can!
Old 01-05-12, 04:40 PM   #2
kennethdaysale

Whenever I begin to feel the least bit discouraged or sorry for myself I watch this again.
http://thechristianathlete.blogspot....fisherman.html
Old 01-05-12, 09:55 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I would have to throw in a vote for KVD. Not becuase he is probably the best bass fisherman around, but because he is a great ambassador of the sport. He fishes tourneys with great ambition and poise. He's not a trouble maker, plays by the rules, and works his tail off to succeed. He is a perfect example of how a professional bass fisherman should handle themselves. On top of all that, he is very willing to reach out to his fans and other fisherman to try to help them to become better fisherman. He goes out of his way to show exactly the whats, hows and wheres and whys that made him successful. He's also a strong family man who is dedicated to his wife and children. The total package makes KVD the perfect representative of the sport.
Old 01-05-12, 10:05 PM   #4
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My vote is for G-man. He relates well to the younger generation of anglers and that is what the sport needs to survive. This past year he helped out in towns that were destroyed by tornados and took underpriveledged kids fishing as well as one kid that had cancer and passed away a few weeks later. In my opinion this is the kind of ambassador to the sport we need. I'm sure there are many others that are great also.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 10:49 PM   #5
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

G-man all the way
bassfishkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-12, 08:22 AM   #6
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

My vote goes to either KVD or Edwin Evers.
Old 01-07-12, 10:14 AM   #7
Top Tiger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've been pondering this, in a way, for a good while now and this seems to be the perfect thread to give light to my, pondering? The best ambassador for, not only bass but any kind of fishing is probably not a pro fisherman. We're talking about 2 completely sports. I'll be 64 this month and have been fishing primarily for bass for over 60 yrs. ( born and raised in central Florida) and the sport that I know and love has no resemblance to what goes on on TV. It's like telling children that watching Roy Rodgers is like watching real cowboys at work. They both got horses and cattle. Love of fishing gets started, not TV shows but by going out with your dad and/or a buddy at 5 in the morning to see the sun come up on calm water and know that ol' Mr. Bass is waiting on what you got to pitch. The best ambassador for fishing is anyone who can give that feeling to a kid, strong enough, so that it never goes away. If you're good enough, THEN you move to the pros.
I have no idea who the big names on the pro circuit are and don't really care. However, I would be willing to bet that all of them got started just like I said. Anybody here could be THE inspiration for a future star. It's up to all of us to instill good practices in those we teach.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-12, 12:04 PM   #8
gysgthard
BassFishin.Com Member

Top Tiger

YOU HIT IT RIGHT ON THE HEAD!!!! you could not have said it better.
gysgthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-12, 12:10 PM   #9
joedog

So Top Tiger, who or what is responsible for your love of the sport then and now? Other than yourself and your father. My father died young and like alot of kids I didn't have a father to teach me. Hence I found other 'representatives' of the sport, One being an older retired gentleman from across the alley from me. Everytime I go home I make sure to spend at least an hour fishing in the exact spot this gentleman took me to my very first time fishing. He was a crappie fisherman and to this day crappie fishing is my second favorite type of fish to pursue. Incidently this gentleman really had no other contact with my family other than the nieghborly hello when our paths crossed getting our vehicles out of the garage. Frankly I don't think he really even liked kids but his love of passing the fishing tradition on to the next generation must have been strong, especially to sit on the bank and listen to all my questions. Ya I was nutty and starving for knowledge than too. (No jokes nailed to his garage door every morning though )
Please I'm not criticizing your post, because I like it.
But do you realize how many kids grew up wanting to be a cowboy because of Roy Rogers great (although unrealistic, maybe) representation of what it means to be a 'Cowboy'? And how many of them still today wear cowboy boots or cowboy hats because they realize this is as close to pro as they are going to get. How many of them grew up to be Vets after seeing Rodger's great treatment of his horses. How many became Rodeo Pros, nature conservationists, Ranch Owners or any number of other 'Cowboy related carriers' or life long hobbies due to growing up watching Roy Rogers. Frankly how many just became better human beings or men due to growing up watching Roy. Roy was a great representative of what it truely means to be a 'Cowboy'. How many kids love the outdoors due to playing cowboys and indians outdoors as kids?
Roy Rogers would have been a great representative of our beloved sport, if he fished instead of cowboyed.
I know alot of folks will elect a pro to represent our sport (me included) because most people gravitate towards measurable success, hence a pro.
Now I totally expected and still do, that some peoples choices won't be Pros. Was Roy really a cowboy or did he just REPRESENT what a good cowboy should be?

How many people or kids started fishing due to seeing Andy Griffith and Opie whistling and just having a ball laughing and carring on, on thier way to the fishing hole?
You are very much on the mark with it's up to US! I do and will continue to , do my part with passing along this great tradition!

Hey, everyone have a great SATURDAY!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.