Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-11, 11:48 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default First bass of 2011 after a long winter

The lake had only been ice free since wednesday and the water temps must have been only in the upper 30's. It was cold and rainy all morning with strong winds, but by mid afternoon the rain had shut off. I really wanted to try out my new BPS Carbon Black casting reel and so I drove out to the lake around 4PM. Was only planning on staying 20 minutes or so. It was cold! I had an Excaliber floating minnow jerkbait tied on and began working off a pier in a northwest bay. On my 5th cast I landed this chunky 3-4 pounder. That really put a smile on my face. I landed another about the same size 10 minutes later. I'm thinking I might be onto something here. The water I was working was around 6-7 foot deep and my jerkbait was nipping the tips of the weeds below. The lure I was using rises slowly back to the surface, so I was able to work it fairly slow and still maintain some depth, but also able to stay out of the weeds. Suddenly after fishing 30 minutes or so I felt a huge weight on my line and reared back. Oh my, I had a monster on! I worked the bass gently back towards the pier and once it was close I could see it easily was going to weigh over 8 pounds. I caught my personal best last summer, an 8 pounder out of the same lake. This bass was bigger by far. It's mouth and head were HUGE. As it came closer to the pier I started getting down to grab it by the jaw when it reared back and shook off. I about cried on that one. I would have released the gal anyways, but I would have wanted to take a pic to show you guys. I ended up catching 5 bass in total in about 90 minutes before I had to leave. I can't wait to get back oout there again. Maybe tomorrow night. The BPS Carbon Black reel performed fantastic. I couldn't be happier with the reel. And one last bit of great news. For those who remember my earlier post about my fears of a heavy fish dieoff from this winter, this is that same lake I was concerned about. Outside of the initial dead fish I found that first day, I havn't seen any more, and todays outting tells me the lake faired just fine. Thank God for that! Detecting the strike today was as it normally is in very cold water. It wasn't like a strike, but rather a sudden resistance on the line. Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again. A lot is said about suspending jerkbaits in early prespawn. But don't discount a floating jerkbait in shallow water no matter how cold it is. I've had tremendous luck over the years on the floating versions. And I'm always suprised by how often I have found bass in shallow water right after iceout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0320011632.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	6421  

Last edited by keithdog; 03-21-11 at 07:03 AM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 08:42 AM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Man, losing that big one sucks, Keith, but it sounds like a good day, anyway. I definitely wouldn't worry about a big die-off now...you've established that there's still a healthy population alive and well.
Old 03-21-11, 08:51 AM   #3
Marc David
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Looks like your first of the year was a nice one, got to love jerkbait fishing.
Marc David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 09:59 AM   #4
bamabassman

keithdawg.......man, wish oyu could've landed the biggun. sorry pal. but you had a wonderful 1 1/2 hrs bud. that is fantastic. and to see the the lake is ok, great to hear. it's gonna warm up pal. and you'll be landing those hawgs in no time. thanks bud.
Old 03-21-11, 11:42 AM   #5
Frogman20
BassFishin.Com Member

Ice just breaking up here we still have another month before we can break out on the water.
Frogman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 12:52 PM   #6
MIbasser

Sounds like you had a good time Keith. What rod are you using?
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 12:56 PM   #7
WatterBoy

Sorry you lost that HAWG, Keith, but congrats on getting out there and getting on the board for 2011! Still a few weeks away from ice-out up at our cabin.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 12:57 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Way to go Keith! Sucks about the big one you lost, but at least you got out and got some fish!

BB
Old 03-21-11, 05:57 PM   #9
bassinbob

Excellent first catches. To bad you lost a big one, but at least you almost got her.
Old 03-21-11, 06:02 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

Sorry to hear about the one that got away but it sounds like you still had a good trip. Congrats on getting out.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 06:26 PM   #11
bcklash

Sounds like you had a lot of fun and if I was a bettin man, I would bet you'll get that hog before long.
Old 03-21-11, 07:21 PM   #12
rrw4258

Wow, sounds like you are having a better season than me... i've been out about 7 or 8 times and still nothing. This has been the longest I have ever waited after iceout without catching a fish.

Ryan
Old 03-21-11, 07:48 PM   #13
woody

Oh, what a heart breaker in losing a possible PB. I'm sure you will get her again though.

Congrats on the other fish!

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 08:03 PM   #14
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

dang...nice. i never did get a JB fish this spring. thats 2 years now of failure,lol. waters pushin 60 now, so no way in hell im using one now. maybe next year,or not...
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 08:22 PM   #15
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
Sounds like you had a good time Keith. What rod are you using?
The rod is an older BPS Rick Clunn 6 1/2' MH rod. The action I don't really know but it compares to my medium/fast action crankbait rods.
Old 03-21-11, 10:28 PM   #16
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Sounds like a chunk fest KD. Too bad about the heart break thought. At least you know she is still there. Better luck next time brutha'.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.