Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 06-08-11, 02:01 AM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default My first rod build

Well I finished building my first rod. While it wasn't easy, I don't think it turned out bad at all. I learned a lot from building this rod, but I have a lot more to learn. I will come clean and admit that I didn't know the first thing about rod building when I started this project. I honestly didn't know what components I wanted or why but with the help of a few of the rod builders on here I felt my way through it. I had a tough time deciding what technique I wanted to build a rod for but I ended up building a cranking stick mainly for squarebill crankbaits. I built it on a 7' medium heavy MHX Blend blank which is crazy light for the money invested in the rod. I used Fuji Alconite guides, a Fuji ACS reel seat, and an EVA split grip. I found the toughest part to be wrapping the guides as well as epoxying them. The biggest mistake I made was getting too carried away with the epoxy when finishing the guides, I will be sure to go a lot slower with it next time. I wasn't going to stress too much over making mistakes on this rod as it was just a hands on learning experience for my future builds. All and all I am very happy with how well this rod turned out. I built it to compliment the Revo SX that I put on it and I think they make a good looking couple.

I also learned that black thread was probably a bad choice for my first build because it was so hard to see. I looked and looked to make sure that my wraps were all packed tight and I didn't leave any gaps but it turns out I missed a few. If I would have used a different color thread I would have been able to see these gaps and fix them.

carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 02:06 AM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Kory,

I commend you for taking on the challenge. I figure that if learned some things, then it was time well spent.
I know you will be more critical of it than anyone on here, but I will say that it looks good.
Old 06-08-11, 03:52 AM   #3
islandbass

I also commend you. I've been meaning to give this a try too. Rod looks great too.
Old 06-08-11, 06:29 AM   #4
rrw4258

Kory, that is very impressive for a first build. It looks like a great rod. And at only 4 ounces, it should be a very light combo. The ACS reel seat is the only choice for a reel seat for me anymore. The colors match up great with the Revo SX. I look forward to seeing your next build!

Ryan
Old 06-08-11, 06:47 AM   #5
keithdog

Hey, way to go Kory! Yeah, so ya missed a few gaps in the wraps, but hey, even those arn't very noticable. Over all I think it looks great. Be sure to let us know how it works out on the water.
Old 06-08-11, 08:36 AM   #6
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Cha-Ching You have ventured in to the jungle and found the elusive rod monkey. He is very greedy and will take up what time you don't have on the water. But he is good to keep you associated with what we come here to talk about though.

That looks like a sweet build. There are a ton tricks to help and you know you always have the pack a phone call away. You did a lot better with the epoxy then I did my first time. It looked like a jacuzzi around the guide braces hahahahaha. Congrats Kory, it looks like real good.

Did you tape off the guides for the epoxy or free hand it?
Old 06-08-11, 09:21 AM   #7
lilmule

Nice job,one can however put on an underlayment wrap of contrasting color so that dark one is easier to see..
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 11:09 AM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Thanks guys, I appreciate the compliments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
Cha-Ching You have ventured in to the jungle and found the elusive rod monkey. He is very greedy and will take up what time you don't have on the water. But he is good to keep you associated with what we come here to talk about though.

That looks like a sweet build. There are a ton tricks to help and you know you always have the pack a phone call away. You did a lot better with the epoxy then I did my first time. It looked like a jacuzzi around the guide braces hahahahaha. Congrats Kory, it looks like real good.

Did you tape off the guides for the epoxy or free hand it?
I just free handed it. And I did have a little trouble around the guide feet as well. I think my next one will go a lot easier.
Old 06-08-11, 11:11 AM   #9
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Nice job,one can however put on an underlayment wrap of contrasting color so that dark one is easier to see..
That's a good point. The main reason I didn't do that is because I wanted as little weight as possible and although the thread is light, it would still be extra weight. But you are right, it wouild have made it easier.
Old 06-08-11, 11:13 AM   #10
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Kory, I think that looks great. So what if it's not perfect. You did a great job for your first time and if i thought that i could do something that nice I would try to build my own also.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 11:51 AM   #11
Jrob78

Looks great Kory! I'd say you knocked it out the park for your first build! You got over the biggest part of the learning curve and everything will come a lot easier now. Once you get a better feel for how the tension should be and how to pack your thread a little better, those gaps will disappear. My first build is full of gaps and giant footballs of epoxy around the guides, that's just the way it goes.

There is no better feeling than catching fish on something you built, (I know you know what that feels like already). Nice work Kory!!
Old 06-08-11, 12:16 PM   #12
WaffleJaw

\m/ Very cool Kory you did an excellent job man!...I was gonna see how it was coming,but never mind,haha.......Lots of things get easier as you go...
If you have issue with finish around the guide legs...Use a toothpick to apply it.
Are you rotating the rod on a motor of by hand when applying finish?

Anyway,great job again..Hoped you enjoyed making it.The first fish is gonna be a special feeling!
Old 06-08-11, 12:39 PM   #13
Marc David
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You matched the reel perfectly Kory. Awesome work, especially for it being your first rod build.
Marc David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 06:32 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Looks really good for your first Kory! Can't wait to see the pics as you build more and get better.

I'm getting temping to try rod building again, I just need to get some more patience for it, lol.

BB
Old 06-08-11, 07:36 PM   #15
nobass

nice job wish i had the patience to do that. i am a start it and get it done type
Old 06-08-11, 07:56 PM   #16
bamabassman

dangit kory. i don't see anything wrong bud. looks great to me man. good job.
Old 06-08-11, 09:20 PM   #17
bassinbob

Really nice for a first time. Looks pretty good to me.
Old 06-09-11, 12:05 AM   #18
Bassboss

Sounds like a learning experienced bud! It turned out great though IMO, looks very nice.
Old 06-09-11, 02:03 AM   #19
carolina-rig-01

Thanks a lot guys. I was actually nervous about posting pics on here because I was affraid that someone might start picking my rod apart. Honestly the flaws that you can see in the pictures are not even visable without zooming in with the camera so just remember that she looks a lot prettier in person. So we know she looks pretty but can she dance? I will find out this weekend in our tournament.

Waffle, I turned the rod by motor at 6 rpms. I am not sure I would be coordinated enough yet to turn it by hand while dealing with the epoxy. I might need some info on this toothpick trick though, the guides were a bear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
\m/ Very cool Kory you did an excellent job man!...I was gonna see how it was coming,but never mind,haha.......Lots of things get easier as you go...
If you have issue with finish around the guide legs...Use a toothpick to apply it.
Are you rotating the rod on a motor of by hand when applying finish?

Anyway,great job again..Hoped you enjoyed making it.The first fish is gonna be a special feeling!
Old 06-09-11, 09:42 AM   #20
nofearengineer

Kory, the rod looks great...except you put the reel handle on the wrong side.

Don't worry about the little flaws. What you obsess over other people would probably never even notice. Practice makes perfect though. A few more rods into it, you'll be putting the mass producers to shame I bet.
Old 06-09-11, 10:45 AM   #21
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Thanks a lot guys. I was actually nervous about posting pics on here because I was affraid that someone might start picking my rod apart. Honestly the flaws that you can see in the pictures are not even visable without zooming in with the camera so just remember that she looks a lot prettier in person. So we know she looks pretty but can she dance? I will find out this weekend in our tournament.

Waffle, I turned the rod by motor at 6 rpms. I am not sure I would be coordinated enough yet to turn it by hand while dealing with the epoxy. I might need some info on this toothpick trick though, the guides were a bear.
The first two I built I tried to apply while turning...It was just a mess on the guides...I still dont fully understand how people do it while turning...Unless they stop the motor ,work around the guide legs ,the turn it back on..Just seems like a pain to me...All I know is I apply finish with no motor...I also dont sweat turning the rod when applying...I just apply it,and rotate when needed.....Your finish is gonna run wet for up to 2.5-3 hours.
I use a toothpick in tight spots...Like under 6mm double footed guides,and in front of micro guides...Just grab a bead of finish and use the pointed to work it in tight spots,work in more if needed...Then go back to normal tools to finish up.
Like I said,I dont use a motor for appyling finish...What I do when I finish applying is rotate by hand for 15 minutes or so,before I put it on my motor.
I let the rod sit,and look for sagging epoxy to form at the bottom,then wick it away with my spatula,then flip the rod 180 degress,and repeat..Im also looking for bubbles and any missed spots..But once the finish is leveled and looks good,then I move it over to my motor and let it turn for 3 hrs.
After 12 hours if it needs another coat,no problems,multiple coats is never a bad thing...All my rods have a least 2 coats of finish on them,guides and all....The butt wrap Im currently working on is up to 4 coats,and still looks great.
Old 06-09-11, 10:53 AM   #22
WatterBoy

Great work, Kory! I couldn't build a rod in 100 years.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.