Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-12, 01:13 AM   #1
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Thumbs up WOW, what a difference!

So I'm sitting here on duty (basically a 24 hour shift at work for those that don't know). Anyways, yesterday I received some goods in the mail; a new set of BOCA ABEC 5 ceramic bearings and my drag spring (thank you Kevin (ProReel) for the quality service, prices and suggestions), a set of CF drag washers and Cals grease from Smooth Drag.

With a quiet night and not a whole going on I tore my reel down (again), cleaned it up (again), installed the new parts and all I can say is, "good Lord what a difference!" Obviously the test on the drag will have to come when I get a chance to get on the water, but never fear! The wife is taking the kids to the pool tomorrow when I get home so I can take a nap and if I wake up in time I'll slip out to my one of local bass holes and give it a whirl.

If all goes as planned I should have about 8 new crankbaits arriving in the mail tomorrow and they will be my test bait in hopes of my testing those new drag washers!

I went from an average "free spool" time of 10.3 seconds to 34.1 seconds. I know that isn't a true test of the reel, but it definitely gives an idea of what new bearings can do. Now I can't wait to get my Curado and BPS reel done!
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 08:42 AM   #2
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sounds like a sweet deal! Least you are confident enough to rebuild the reel yourself.

Keep us up to date on how the drag works. Good luck.
Old 07-11-12, 09:34 AM   #3
USMCbassman

It took a while to build that confidnece, the first time I tore a reel apart I had the confidence to tear it apart, but putting it back together was a different story. After a couple of times now it is getting easier. I want to find a "broke" reel and see what I can do with it.

I'll let you all know how that drag works out as well. Thank you
Old 07-11-12, 04:53 PM   #4
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Outstanding!
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 08:31 PM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Can't wait to hear what you have to say after getting out on the water. Sounds fantastic!
Old 07-11-12, 08:49 PM   #6
USMCbassman

My old age must be catching up with me, I use to be able to work 24 hours, sleep a few hours and then be good for the rest of the day. I put in 36 hours straight, came home at noon and slept the day away...so, no fishing this afternoon

Plus, my new baits didn't arrive, they'll be here shortly.

I will definitely give a report once I get on the water and give this "new" reel a shot.

Sorry for the tease, I was excited to get out too, LOL!
Old 07-11-12, 08:54 PM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ain;t getting old great, hahahahahaha!!!!
Old 07-11-12, 09:48 PM   #8
rrw4258

Sounds awesome, what kind of reel did you put the new parts into?

Ryan
Old 07-11-12, 11:04 PM   #9
USMCbassman

It's a Citica.

I bought it off ebay around fathers day that was supposedly lightly used. May have been, but it was highly abused. It's almost like a new reel now. I'm well into it for more than they retail for new, but I think with the upgrades it's definitely better than out of the box now.
Old 07-12-12, 09:35 AM   #10
Dogmatic

Does the cost of sending a reel out(to Pro Reel for example), out weigh the cost of just buying the parts, and doing it yourself? I ask this because, like you, I am very confident in my abilities to take a reel apart, not so confident in putting them back together(as the old Daiwa Capricorn sitting on my shelf demonstates).
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 09:39 AM   #11
USMCbassman

I wouldn't say so especially if you're not confident in putting them back together. If it were me and I didn't have the confidence to put it back together I'd definitely just send it out. This way I at least know I'm getting something back that is going to work, plus if you buy the parts attempt to do it yourself and then have to send it out because it's not functioning properly now you're out the money twice....know what I mean.
Old 07-12-12, 10:44 AM   #12
Dogmatic

Yes, thanks for your candidness.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 01:45 PM   #13
Jrob78

Part of the service that someone like Proreel offers is the ability to properly clean your reels and more importantly, the bearings. If you don't have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, you can't get your bearings completely clean, IMO. Plus, if you chose to have any kind of supertuning done, that would make a huge difference too.

I got an ultrasonic cleaner last year, I am comfortable taking reels apart and cleaning them. I thought I was doing a good job until I used the US cleaner. I was amazed at just how much difference truly clean bearings make.
Old 07-13-12, 09:23 AM   #14
USMCbassman

So I got a chance to spend a little time on the water yesterday afternoon/evening. First cast with the reel I wasn't prepared for....the spool took off and I ended up with a small birds nest (nothing unmanageable), got it cleared and re-casted. The distance seemed to improve some, but it was more than enough. The retrieve of the reel was nice and smooth. The bearings are a little loud, but over time I believe they will quiet down some.

As for the drag, I'm still waiting for a true test of it. I hooked into a nice fish, but he shook the spinner before I could get my hook set. It seems I have to tighten it down a little more than it should be; however, that is with me pulling the line to get an "initial" set and backing it off a click or two. Time will tell once I can hook into a decent fish and actually land him.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.