Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-12, 08:45 PM   #1
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Zappu Abare Dama Wicked Ball Treble Hook Weight

That's a mouth full.

Some of you might remember these from ICAST. They are tungsten weights that you add to the rear treble hook of crankbaits. They are supposed to cause your bait to "hunt" and kick out without hitting anything, basically deflect in open water.

The cost is $3.99 for 2 and they come in a few different sizes. It seems like a plausible idea and they don't cost as much as I thought they would.
Anybody interested in these?

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Zappu_Abare_Dama_Wicked_Ball_Treble_Hook_Weight_2p k/descpage-AADWTH.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AADWTH-1.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	8161  
Old 08-29-12, 09:08 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i wanna see this in action before i give my thoughts. got and vids showing the action in the water?
Old 08-29-12, 09:24 PM   #3
bassboogieman

That may help Tony get his cranks deeper - but I don't think I'd stick one on the back of a crank. For cryin' out loud - y'know a lot of guys complain when they take a crank out of the package and it doesn't run true, so stick a weight on the trailing treble to make it not run true? I am a bit confused as to how the weight will stay connected on the treble - it appears to be a screw lock, but what would keep it from backing off the hook shank? And, will the weight diminish the hook point's ability to penetrate, or work to dislodge a hook that's been "set"? I'm just not embracing this idea.........
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-12, 10:01 PM   #4
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i wanna see this in action before i give my thoughts. got and vids showing the action in the water?
If you go to the link that Joe gave, there are a couple of video links right below the product picture. One video is less than a minute and is of Fred Roumbanis (sp?) talking about the product from ICast 2012. The other is a 13+ minute Japanese video that shows at least a little bit of the action, although I didn't watch the whole thing.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-12, 07:24 PM   #5
joedog

Bama check out the videos under the link, not the ICAST one but the other one.

Second 'hooked' bass spits the bait out in the video.
My Jap. isn't that great but after the fish spits the bait out I think he says, "Looks like SPAM for supper again tonight."

Seriously though I think this idea has some real potential.
How true do the Strike Kings that KVD says 'Kick out' run?
I'm not a cranking expert but my understanding is the complaint running true is because the bill makes it run left or right continueously making the lure go way off target. These I think just 'kick out, then basically kick back in' not really hurting the straight line retrieve if you get what I mean.
Again I'm not no expert and I haven't tried either. This is how it was explained to me when I asked a Rep. about the KVDs. I think the same applies to these plus this isn't from just Japan. This manufacturer is the biggest name in Japan Bass fishing. I'm told these guys test and retest and retest and really seem to know thier stuff especially when it comes to terminal tackle.
I'm looking forward to hearing results in English.
Old 08-30-12, 08:19 PM   #6
Jrob78

That's the way I understood it to work too Joe. One thing I read said that when you paused the bait and then restarted it, that's when it would kick out the most.

I don't know that it is a product I would ever buy but it is an interesting concept and priced low enough that you wouldn't be out much if it didn't work.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.