Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-11, 03:28 PM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Question for the tournament anglers

This post isn't meant to exclude the recreation angler but I think that tournament anglers will better understand where I am coming from in this post, but if you are a recreation angler and deal with the same thing feel free to chime in.

I guess my question is, does anyone else have trouble turning the heat down a notch when fun fishing? What I mean is when I am fishing a tournament I am always focused to the point of almost being too serious. I am always thinking 3 steps ahead of where I am at right now. For example this time of year when morning bites are short lived but often make or break your day I am worrying about hitting this spot quickly so I can be sure and hit my other morning stops before the sun hits them. I may run 15 miles down the lake to hit a spot that will get sun earlier than another spot and then turn around and run back up the lake 5 or 6 miles to hit a spot that will be protected from the sun a little longer than other spots. This is typical tournament fishing, go hard all day long and breathe when it's over. It's just go go go and fish your heart out. I love that part of fishing and I believe it forces you to become better everytime out. However when I am out fun fishing I can't turn it off. I can't just go out and goof around the lake and maybe fish a little longer than I should on this spot just because I am having a good time, or maybe sit down and eat a sandwhich and drink a water rather than eating and drinking as I fly down the lake while worrying about getting to the next spot. I know I can't be the only guy here who fights this competitive drive and I was wondering how other guys turn it off when they are just out having a good time. I am not looking to get rid of the drive while tournament fishing, I would never want to lose that edge. But rather on days like tomorrow when Britney and I are going to the lake and she will be laying out collecting rays while I am fishing..........I still take it just as serious as if I were fishing for $50K and sometimes I wonder if I would have as much fun if I did tone it down a notch. Anyone else struggle with this?
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 03:52 PM   #2
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Kory, I have to say that I was like this ALOT last year... always had a "tournament mentality". While I fished great last year and had strong runnings and several wins last year, it was getting a little tiring for me.

This year I am taking some time to breath during the week, and just go out, screw around with some buddies, and takes some time to relax. Don't get me wrong, we are not screwing around on the water and kicking back some cold ones, but we are just out to have fun, wheter it be bass fishing, crappie fishing, or snagging some carp, but we just have fun. And let me say that is has improved my mentality on tournament days this year and I can stay focused and run a game plan like I intend to do, and my results and spots in the standings have only gotten better this year.

Ryan
Old 07-15-11, 04:08 PM   #3
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

It used to be very hard for me to turn off the "tournament mentality" when fun fishing. That all changed when I had kids and was forced into being patient when I took them with.

I fish like a mad man when there's money on the line, but now when I go fun fishing, I can turn it down a notch. I think that it has actually made me a better tournament angler in the end.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 04:12 PM   #4
Embrey

heres how i turned it off...i quit catching fish. now i almost have to make myself go anymore
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 04:18 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
It used to be very hard for me to turn off the "tournament mentality" when fun fishing. That all changed when I had kids and was forced into being patient when I took them with.

I fish like a mad man when there's money on the line, but now when I go fun fishing, I can turn it down a notch. I think that it has actually made me a better tournament angler in the end.
That makes a lot of sense. I take my niece perch jerking once in a while and it's impossible to take it serious. Lake will be old enough to go fishing before I know it so I am sure that will help me turn it down a notch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
heres how i turned it off...i quit catching fish. now i almost have to make myself go anymore
Slumps happen Embrey, and your in a doozy right now. But hang in there they don't last forever and you just have to force yourself to go until you fight through it.
Old 07-15-11, 04:29 PM   #6
Embrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
That makes a lot of sense. I take my niece perch jerking once in a while and it's impossible to take it serious. Lake will be old enough to go fishing before I know it so I am sure that will help me turn it down a notch.

Slumps happen Embrey, and your in a doozy right now. But hang in there they don't last forever and you just have to force yourself to go until you fight through it.
ive had slumps...im not sure what this is for sure though...lol. something bad happened somewhere, just dont know what!
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 04:33 PM   #7
bassboogieman

What you describe is exactly why I DO NOT tournament fish anymore. Getting too serious, second guessing myself, the drive to fill the livewell for me and a co-angler took ALL the fun out of my fishing. Now I fish for fun, recreation and relaxation - NONE of that entered into my tournament fishing. So I quit the bass club, fishing open tournaments, etc. Now I fish when I want, where I want and with whom I want. If it's raining hard in the morning I go back to sleep. If it's a hot day, I'll fish early and go in after 4 or 5 hours. Tournaments no longer dictate that to me and I am enjoying my time on the water now more than ever. Not everyone is the same, some enjoy the competion and challenge of tournament fishing, and if you do good for you. For me tournament fishing wasn't ever fun and it was taking ALL the fun out of my fishing in general. Had I not changed what I was doing, I would no longer be fishing, sold the boat and all my tackle, and be missing the joy I now find when I'm on the water.

The only thing anything near an organized "tournament" you'll find me, would be one of the BBC "rallys", or a BFC "get together" like the one at Wheeler I went to in May, but those I attend to meet some of the people I "talk to" on sites such as this and socilaize, the fishing is secondary and they are not money tournaments, bragging rights only - which I still find much more fun than fishing for money.

I find I'm enjoying fishing more from my kayak, than in the bass boat. Probably because most of the water near me is small and electric only, but also because it's fun in the 'yak. I can't carry anywhere near the tackle I have in the boat so I have to prepare a bit differently, but it's still more fun than the big boat. But the boat is handy for those days when I take a friend or family member out for a little fishing, or for those fishing trips I'm still fond of, so I think I'm keeping it.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 08:04 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
What you describe is exactly why I DO NOT tournament fish anymore. Getting too serious, second guessing myself, the drive to fill the livewell for me and a co-angler took ALL the fun out of my fishing. Now I fish for fun, recreation and relaxation - NONE of that entered into my tournament fishing. So I quit the bass club, fishing open tournaments, etc. Now I fish when I want, where I want and with whom I want. If it's raining hard in the morning I go back to sleep. If it's a hot day, I'll fish early and go in after 4 or 5 hours. Tournaments no longer dictate that to me and I am enjoying my time on the water now more than ever. Not everyone is the same, some enjoy the competion and challenge of tournament fishing, and if you do good for you. For me tournament fishing wasn't ever fun and it was taking ALL the fun out of my fishing in general. Had I not changed what I was doing, I would no longer be fishing, sold the boat and all my tackle, and be missing the joy I now find when I'm on the water.

The only thing anything near an organized "tournament" you'll find me, would be one of the BBC "rallys", or a BFC "get together" like the one at Wheeler I went to in May, but those I attend to meet some of the people I "talk to" on sites such as this and socilaize, the fishing is secondary and they are not money tournaments, bragging rights only - which I still find much more fun than fishing for money.

I find I'm enjoying fishing more from my kayak, than in the bass boat. Probably because most of the water near me is small and electric only, but also because it's fun in the 'yak. I can't carry anywhere near the tackle I have in the boat so I have to prepare a bit differently, but it's still more fun than the big boat. But the boat is handy for those days when I take a friend or family member out for a little fishing, or for those fishing trips I'm still fond of, so I think I'm keeping it.
I totally understand where you are coming from. But I am not blaming tournaments for my struggles with just having fun on the water. Yeah tournaments force you to work hard at it (if you plan on doing good) but I have always been the dive off the deep end type of guy. I just can't half arse anything, it's either balls to the wall or I just don't do it. I started building jigs as a hobby, but before I knew it I was running a jig company and was on the front page of Bassmaster.com, I put on a charity bass tournament for my cousins a few years back and now I am running a bass club. Everything I do, I take it as far as I can and so whether I was fishing tournaments or not I would still most likely be pushing myself to catch as many fish as I can, or maybe the biggest bag I could.......even if I am just trying to compete against myself. So if I were to go out today and catch a limit that went 15lbs, then tomorrow I would want to do every bit as good or hopefully better, I think that part is just nature. I just catch myself in the tournament mentality everytime I am on the water. I don't know maybe there is nothing wrong with that, it does put me on more fish more often than in the old days before I started taking it serious.

It's not the same thing exactly but we do a little pond hopping once in a while which would be my version of your kayak fishing. And although it does take a little of the seriousness out of it for me, I still put a lot of pressure on myself to catch fish or catch bigger fish. But I have also noticed that if I get in a slump on the lake I can usually break it by going to a few ponds and making it simple and fun, it seems to get me in a groove faster than anything.

Interesting point of view boogie, thanks.
Old 07-15-11, 08:51 PM   #9
3dkicker

I find myself slipping into that competitive mode when fishing in the club tournaments. The club is more about having fun and raising money for the Youth Foundation and the two kids derbies so being a very competitive person it can cause problems. In the past it was all about winning for me. But one of the members who used to win a lot made an interesting comment one day when his partner did really well in a tournament. He said he fishes better and has more fun when his partner does well in the tournament. I've found the same to be true for me. If I put my partner on fish and help them get a limit I usually will have a better day than if I concentrate on myself. And I learn more by paying attention to what my partner is or isn't doing.
And then I fish the money tournaments like the Everstart, BFL, LAPR, etc when I want to compete.
Old 07-15-11, 09:48 PM   #10
Bob Smith

Kory, my game improved when I turned off the "Go" mentality and concentrated on the fish. Instead of hitting the maximum number of spots as quickly as possible. I slowed it down and hit the High confidence spots and patterns. What I find is that when I nail a pattern I can duplicate right there in the same area, not 15 miles down the lake. My total Gas consumption fell way off. Now I can fish all day and burn 10 gals and be a lot more active at the end of the tournament. I have also learned to enjoy spending time with my backseater and even make up a song or two during the slow periods.
Unless you are going to do this for a living, you need to slow down. If you are going to do this for a living, you need to slow down (or burn out!).
Old 07-15-11, 10:14 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
Kory, my game improved when I turned off the "Go" mentality and concentrated on the fish. Instead of hitting the maximum number of spots as quickly as possible. I slowed it down and hit the High confidence spots and patterns. What I find is that when I nail a pattern I can duplicate right there in the same area, not 15 miles down the lake. My total Gas consumption fell way off. Now I can fish all day and burn 10 gals and be a lot more active at the end of the tournament. I have also learned to enjoy spending time with my backseater and even make up a song or two during the slow periods.
Unless you are going to do this for a living, you need to slow down. If you are going to do this for a living, you need to slow down (or burn out!).
Very vauable information right there, thank you Bob. I should add however that I used running all over the lake just as an example of the mentality I have even when fun fishing. Sure there have been times when I am on a pattern in the mid lake and think of an area that has held big fish in the past that fits the bill for my pattern and haul arse to that spot and not even worry about how much gas I am burning but rather maybe worry about getting there before the sun hits that spot, or get there before the wind gets too strong, ect. But I have the same mentality when just out fun fishing as well and I can't decide if that is good or bad. I mean what is the point of fishing, even for fun if you don't make every attempt to catch fish? So for me not to make a long run to a spot that I just know will pay off, or maybe spend too much time on a ledge that has fish on it trying to make them bite would leave me disappointed at the end of the day because I would feel like I left something on the table. So on one hand I say that having that focus will put you on more fish and in the long run make for a more enjoyable day on the water. But on the other hand I wonder if I am missing the boat so to speak by focusing too much on catching fish and not enough on just enjoying the day. Who knows, I just thought I would throw it out there and see if anyone else goes through the same thing and it seems like some do and most at least have at one point.

As for the slow down or burn out part. That makes a lot of sense. I can see how this sport could burn someone out if they pushed too hard. Once in a while I will hear someone make a comment that may not seem too heavy at the time but they will for whatever reason stick with me forever, and that was for sure a comment I will always remember and use it to keep my competitive nature in check...........Thanks Bob!
Old 07-15-11, 10:35 PM   #12
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i never fished a real tournament but i have fished derbies and little things. my one fishing buddy always says i am a try hard. but i just like catching fish. i struggle with trying to hard a lot haha
Old 07-15-11, 11:45 PM   #13
MississippiBoy

I'm no tournament fisherman (hell, I'm barely a fisherman at all), but to me, there has to be a happy medium somewhere when pleasure fishing. On one side, you've got a happy go lucky guy that doesn't care anything at all about catching fish, he just wants to get out on the water. On the other extreme, there's a hell for leather, balls to the wall, catch fish or die, red eyed psycho.
I think for pleasure fishing, you should be somewhere between this two, and probably closer to the first guy. For tournaments, you might need to be the red eyed psycho, or close to it. But turning off that intense drive to fish fish fish fish go go go go is most important. Take a breath, step back, and have fun just being out there.
I've had a blast out on the lake with not much to show for it several times...at Kentucky Lake fishing with you and John, at Calling Panther with both John and Bubba at different times, and on Wheeler with Anthony and Jeff. On all of those trips, I caught few or no fish...I wanted to, and I was doing my best to, but I still felt all of them were successful trips because I had fun just being out there.
If you find yourself getting too intense, try putting down the fishing rod for a while. Tell yourself there's really no point in catching fish, anyway....you're not competing for a check, you're not trying to impress anybody, and you don't need them to eat since you're just going to throw them back, anyway. Quit fishing for 20 minutes or however long, eat a sandwich, jump in for a swim, give Britney a back rub.....just enjoy the day.
Old 07-16-11, 12:04 AM   #14
Bassboss

Yup! I know what you're talking about kory. Last year I really didn't have the most fun fishing I ever could have. I was always focused on doing things "right." And would often get pretty into everything, and forget that fishing is suppose to be fun. This year has been different. While waiting for the the blasted ice to come off the water, I promised myself I'd have the most fun I could out on the water while I could. I just went out.. and fished. I stuck to the basics and tried not to read into everything, thinking if I don't do this, I won't catch fish... that simply isn't the way bass are... they eat when foot is in front of them. They don't judge what they eat by if it was given 2 jiggles, or 3 jiggles.

Not sure if this helps or not.. just my 2 pennies!
Old 07-16-11, 12:31 AM   #15
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
I'm no tournament fisherman (hell, I'm barely a fisherman at all), but to me, there has to be a happy medium somewhere when pleasure fishing. On one side, you've got a happy go lucky guy that doesn't care anything at all about catching fish, he just wants to get out on the water. On the other extreme, there's a hell for leather, balls to the wall, catch fish or die, red eyed psycho.
I think for pleasure fishing, you should be somewhere between this two, and probably closer to the first guy. For tournaments, you might need to be the red eyed psycho, or close to it. But turning off that intense drive to fish fish fish fish go go go go is most important. Take a breath, step back, and have fun just being out there.
I've had a blast out on the lake with not much to show for it several times...at Kentucky Lake fishing with you and John, at Calling Panther with both John and Bubba at different times, and on Wheeler with Anthony and Jeff. On all of those trips, I caught few or no fish...I wanted to, and I was doing my best to, but I still felt all of them were successful trips because I had fun just being out there.
If you find yourself getting too intense, try putting down the fishing rod for a while. Tell yourself there's really no point in catching fish, anyway....you're not competing for a check, you're not trying to impress anybody, and you don't need them to eat since you're just going to throw them back, anyway. Quit fishing for 20 minutes or however long, eat a sandwich, jump in for a swim, give Britney a back rub.....just enjoy the day.
I think that is a good way to look at it. Maybe it's as simple as measuring success differently for each type of fishing. What makes for a great day of fun fishing could make for a misserable day of tourney fishing (and emberassing too if I was to give my partner a back rub lol). I am going to try and take it down a notch on both sides of the ball and see what happens. I have always been my own worst enemy when it comes to stuff like this. I put so much pressure on myself that no matter how well I might do it still feels like failure because I focus on what I could have done better. I am going to just enjoy it more and put less pressure on myself and see where the chips fall. Our tourney win earlier this season was in large part due to the fact that I sat down on the front deck and calmed myself down and focused on just having fun, after that things started falling into place and the day couldn't have ended any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Yup! I know what you're talking about kory. Last year I really didn't have the most fun fishing I ever could have. I was always focused on doing things "right." And would often get pretty into everything, and forget that fishing is suppose to be fun. This year has been different. While waiting for the the blasted ice to come off the water, I promised myself I'd have the most fun I could out on the water while I could. I just went out.. and fished. I stuck to the basics and tried not to read into everything, thinking if I don't do this, I won't catch fish... that simply isn't the way bass are... they eat when foot is in front of them. They don't judge what they eat by if it was given 2 jiggles, or 3 jiggles.

Not sure if this helps or not.. just my 2 pennies!
Yeah it helps Sammy. I know what you mean about wishing you were fishing during the winter months, we get hard water here too.
Old 07-16-11, 08:18 AM   #16
bamabassman

kory.....i've been thinking abou this. here is an idea fro you to try to help you slow down. instead of filling up the tank in the boat, put only 1/4 tan of gas in it. then oyu can't run up river 5-6 miles but once. see? this will FORCE you to stay in one spot and REALLY relax and fish it. i hardly EVER have my boat FULL of gas. duel tanks holding a little over 40 gals is EXPENSIVE, lol. right now i bet there isn't enough gas to run 1 mile yet alone 5-6. i went with a "tourney fisherman" one day. we would fish 1 spot for 5-10 mins, then run across the lake to another spot for 15 mins. my back was so sore from all the ripping up and down the lake i didn't enjoy the trip very much.
so try the Just enough gas to get to one spot or two and see if that helps you slow down and have fun. i found by doing this oyu fish a stretch of area a whole lot differently. as well as oyu think oyu know a spot, you will find something you didn't know about it when oyu are there for a few hours.
good luck buddy.
Old 07-16-11, 10:27 PM   #17
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
kory.....i've been thinking abou this. here is an idea fro you to try to help you slow down. instead of filling up the tank in the boat, put only 1/4 tan of gas in it. then oyu can't run up river 5-6 miles but once. see? this will FORCE you to stay in one spot and REALLY relax and fish it. i hardly EVER have my boat FULL of gas. duel tanks holding a little over 40 gals is EXPENSIVE, lol. right now i bet there isn't enough gas to run 1 mile yet alone 5-6. i went with a "tourney fisherman" one day. we would fish 1 spot for 5-10 mins, then run across the lake to another spot for 15 mins. my back was so sore from all the ripping up and down the lake i didn't enjoy the trip very much.
so try the Just enough gas to get to one spot or two and see if that helps you slow down and have fun. i found by doing this oyu fish a stretch of area a whole lot differently. as well as oyu think oyu know a spot, you will find something you didn't know about it when oyu are there for a few hours.
good luck buddy.
John, thats realy good advice! And so simple too.
I am finding this post very interresting. I've never fished a tourney in my life, yet I take my time fishing very seriously. I still enjoy it and have fun, but I am always competing with myself to be a successfull bass fisherman. I guess it is because I only am able to get out one day a week and some weeks I don't go at all. So when I do go, I want to make it count. I want to catch fish! Plus with our lakes being frozen solid Nov - March, you tend to want to make it count while your able to get out on the lake. From the time I start to get the boat ready to go to the moment I am loading the boat back on the trailer to come home, I fish hard. It may be fun fishing that I do, but fishing hard is part of what I enjoy about my outtings. But again, I think that is because I don't get out that often. Not like a tournament fisherman would. Also, I fish from a 12 foot jon boat powered only by an electric motor. That forces me to slow down and and smell the roses if you will. There is usually a camera in my boat, and on occation, I put the rod down and pick up the camera. Usually when fishing is slow, haha. But still, while I don't have the fast powerfull boat to get me around like an interglactic warrior, and I don't fish tourneys, I'm still pretty intense when I'm on the water. Now when I have a guest in the boat, I'm usually concentrating equally on their enjoyment of the day as well as mine. Especially if it is my wife. lol I can go fishless all day while she catches fish and I'm a happy man. Often I think back to when I was a kid with nothing but a cane pole, or my first and ONLY rod, fishing out of a rental row boat, and how much fun I had. Things were simpler back then. Maybe thats what you need. A row boat and just a single rod. Simplify. Take fishing back to it's roots. Maybe then you can start to calm that run and gun guy thats inside you.
Old 07-16-11, 10:39 PM   #18
lilmule

Shute while i move a tad dont just to get water the sun is or isnt on,try something different try catching fish where you are,learn that and you wont move 15 miles per T.
Obviously there are fish at those first holes you just have to figure out how to catch them.
And if you run 15 miles what if someone else is sitting on it?
As a practice one day dont use the big motor use troller only out and back bet you will catch fish.
The pros secrets are not just a good spot but how to catch whats there.
KVD stops on community holes on ky lake as well as many other pros,he does know how to milk them.And one of his favorite holes is a string of ledges in the mouth of the big sandy about 1 mile from the ramp,at Paris Landing.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 10:44 PM   #19
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Shute while i move a tad dont just to get water the sun is or isnt on,try something different try catching fish where you are,learn that and you wont move 15 miles per T.
Obviously there are fish at those first holes you just have to figure out how to catch them.
And if you run 15 miles what if someone else is sitting on it?
As a practice one day dont use the big motor use troller only out and back bet you will catch fish.
The pros secrets are not just a good spot but how to catch whats there.
KVD stops on community holes on ky lake as well as many other pros,he does know how to milk them.And one of his favorite holes is a string of ledges in the mouth of the big sandy about 1 mile from the ramp,at Paris Landing.
I think you missed the point....

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.