Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-10, 04:02 PM   #1
syd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Swim bait question

I fish mainly Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia. It was well publicized that the Rago swim bait in color Hitch was what won the Blue Ridge Brawl for Skeet Reese there.
Questions are this. Would this be a good bait to use year round? Plus, i don't really want to shell out $23.00 for one (but i will the bait monkey strikes again). Is there any other swim bait or plastic that resembles this in color and size. The only ones i currently use are Tennesse shad.
Thanks for any input
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-10, 11:03 PM   #2
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd View Post
I fish mainly Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia. It was well publicized that the Rago swim bait in color Hitch was what won the Blue Ridge Brawl for Skeet Reese there.
Questions are this. Would this be a good bait to use year round? Plus, i don't really want to shell out $23.00 for one (but i will the bait monkey strikes again). Is there any other swim bait or plastic that resembles this in color and size. The only ones i currently use are Tennesse shad.
Thanks for any input
Just remember - swimbaits are just another tool. Don't get hung up on colors or the exact bait someone used to win with. There are plenty of swimbaits out there that don't cost you $23 and will work just as well.

Been doing pretty good on these right here, and the 6" are on sale!

http://www.abtlures.com/soft.htm

I just need to get my new swimbait rod finished so that I can fish these a little better.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 01:51 PM   #3
geezer1

syd...I don't blame you. I wouldn't want to pay $23 for a swimbait either. I'm not a big swimbait fan, but I do own an exceptional swimbait thanks to a buddy who is a big swimbait fan. He owns many high dollar swimbaits & uses them all regularly. That's his thing. His favorite? It's not the $50 whatever, or even the $30 whatchamacallit. It's the $9 H2O Express 4.5" Jointed Shad. The action is incredible & he's caught some monster Bass with this thing. I bought one, "just in case" I feel the urge to throw a swimbait. Sold through Academy Sports & Outdoors, or can be ordered online.Good fishing.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 02:01 PM   #4
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Syd I use these

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Keite...page-KSIF.html

with these hooks year round and they work great . They come in a five pack. The swimbaits that is

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gamak...page-GSSL.html

Jim
Old 07-23-10, 03:57 PM   #5
Kevin
Administrator

Hi Syd,

I've been out on Smith Mountain in 90+ degree days numerous times, and swimbaits still work!

It's tougher though, because many bass do go deep there, but when you are only looking for a handful of key big fish, then that doesn't matter.

The great thing about Smith Mountain is the massive quantity of docks and points.

There are sort-of two sides to Smith Mountain... the highland tree-laden side and the commercially developed side.

The commercially developed side is much better for swimbaits because it can receive wind and intense sunlight.

Target deeper docks that cast HEAVY shade. You need some wind for swimbaits to work really good there (or anywhere really). So find docks that are getting a lot of wind.

The bass are going to be on the outer-ends of the docks so make long casts paralleling the pilings and shade line with your swimbait.

Also find wind-blown points and target 10-20+ feet. This can be tough because the baitfish move so much it seems on that lake. I'd try the docks first.

You don't need the Light Hitch color to catch fish. In fact, I think clear shad colors will do better. I think Skeet probably used Light Hitch because that was the only SKT Swimmer color came in (I think? - well other than 'Hitch'). But either shad or light hitch will work fine.

While Rago makes decent swimbaits, I still like the Osprey Inline Tournament Talon best. My favorite color is "Shad" for clear water (which SML usually is), and "Chartruese Shad" when the water is a bit murky from recent rains or something.
Old 07-23-10, 07:54 PM   #6
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Those Osprey's are nice baits as well. I just got a blue gill and chartreuse shad in this week in 7". Kinda wish now after seeing them I would have picked up a couple 6" as well. I think the line through deal is going to be nice!
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 09:00 PM   #7
syd

Thanks for the great feedback. I have only really started fishing SML the last couple of years. Still trying to get get all the help i can. Don't fish tournaments just fish for the fun of it. But it is nice to catch fish. Haven't really started using swim baits but Skeets success really was an eye opener. Thanks Kevin for the SML info too. Checked out The ones Jim80 and CamG mentioned also.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.