Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-13, 08:37 AM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Richmond Fishing Expo

Jan 25 - 27, anyone going or anyone been there? I am thinking of going, but wonder how big this is and if I can do it in one day. It's a 4 hr drive for me each way and I wonder if I should plan on staying over - if it's too much to take in in just 4 or 5 hours. Don't know if I will go Fri., to avoid some of the crowd, or stay over for Sat. also.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13, 08:48 AM   #2
syd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I live in roanoke so it is a long drive for me too. I haven't been in a couple of years. Quit going because you could walk through the whole thing in 15 minutes. The only thing good about it was they gave you discount coupons for Green Top which was like 10 minutes asway. Plus the Bass Pro shop is close too. If it wasn't for going to Green Top and BPs trip would have been a waste. But as i said that was a few years ago and it may be better now.
But i will go to the one in Greensboro Feb 22nd. It is much closer and makes more sense for me.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13, 11:01 AM   #3
bcklash

Bruce talk to Smitty he sets up there every year. I go sometimes, but I make sure to go to Greentop which is near there. There is a BPS close by also.
It's worth my time just to go to Greentop and I haven't been to the new store. About a 3 hour drive for me, but We always do it in 1 day.

I've met Smitty and Kevin there.
Old 01-09-13, 11:05 AM   #4
bcklash

Bruce let me know if you are going I might try to swing by this year.
Old 01-09-13, 03:25 PM   #5
3dkicker

I've worked the Richmond show for a bunch of years now. Not as many as others who are there every year but I've been around long enough to know that the shows aren't what they used to be. The "old" Richmond show used to take up all four buildings at the racetrack. In the end they could only fill the main building. Prices for booth space went up and companies weren't making the $$ to cover expenses. Most of this was due to internet sales. Why spend a day to drive to the show and walk around for hours fighting crowds when you can buy the same stuff, sometimes cheaper, at home. Gas is expensive and shipping is cheap in comparison.
The old Expo folded and a new company came in. They moved the location. Pulled in some big named Pro's to speak and enticed some of the bigger companies to come and sell. Most companies did well.....myself included. But things have dropped off recently. Why? Don't know. Maybe we're back in a gas prices/internet cycle again. And it's tough to discount prices and still make a profit at the show. I will guarantee that everything I sell will be less than what you can get online (on my website)!!
Can you walk through the building in 15 minutes....yes. But I don't see how if you slowed down and talked with the dealers you couldn't spend a couple hours there. Sat gets really busy so you won't get as much 1 on 1 time as you would on Fri.
Will it be worth the drive??? Don't know. But BPS and Green Top are both right down the road and are worth checking out. Some of the bigger tackle guys like Dave's Tournament will be there. Can't tell you who else will or won't except most importantly Smitty will be helping out Mike "Pappy" Jones in his booth
If you've never seen or used Kaotik, R&R Custom, Nemesis, River Rock, and my line of baits you need to stop in and say hello. I can spend 15 mins easily talking with you about them.
Old 01-10-13, 08:49 AM   #6
syd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

3dkicker & smitty, are you going to be setup at the Greensboro show weekend of 22 Feb?
Would love to check out your baits.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-13, 09:34 AM   #7
bassboogieman

Thanks for the info, guys. I think I'll go Sat. 1/26 since it's not that big and can be done in in a few hours.

Ron, if I do go I'll PM you my cell # and if you decide to go, call me and we can meet and plan our attack on Bryce at Dale in May.

I'll be sure to look up "Smitty", just to say hi. I have three other friends that are working a booth at this show, so I have a few guys to say hi to.

Again, if I get there, I plan on stopping at Green Top and checking out that store.

It will be a long day, but should help break up the winter blahs...
Old 01-10-13, 11:13 AM   #8
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd View Post
3dkicker & smitty, are you going to be setup at the Greensboro show weekend of 22 Feb?
3dkicker and smitty are the same ugly dude.
Old 01-10-13, 02:21 PM   #9
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd View Post
I'm not going to be at that one. Normally I do the smaller shows and flea markets in the area. The bigger shows are too expensive for me to do. I'm only a one man operation and can only carry so much tackle with me. Plus the travel, hotel, food, etc...

I did the Roanoke show a few years ago. I got a good discount on my booth because I did some speaking but it was mostly a hunting and outdoor show. I spent three days next to Maine "Bar" hunters and really didn't sell enough to make it worth while. I think if I had a better booth location I might have done better and returned. Although I did meet a writer from Bassmaster.com and got an article written about me

If you can't make it to Richmond check out ***** Caution Shameless Plugs*******

R&R Baits at http://www.rnrcustombaits.com/

and http://www.nemesisbaits.com/ which sends you to the facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nemes...ref=ts&fref=ts

http://www.shakerbait.com/ for Kaotik baits

http://www.riverrockbaits.com/ for River Rock custom baits

Or my webpage www.smittystubes.com or my facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/smittystubes

Only thing you can't do on the websites is pick up and handle the baits, check out the colors, and get a good idea of the quality of the baits.

Last edited by 3dkicker; 01-10-13 at 02:32 PM.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13, 09:42 AM   #10
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
3dkicker and smitty are the same ugly dude.
Old 01-11-13, 11:12 AM   #11
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hahahaha..poor ol brucie.....never knew huh? andi bet no one knows the secret of 3DKICKER....what thename means.... i do......hehehehehee.

but i won't tell if 3d/smitty doesn't want me to. i can keep secrets....well sometimes. and for a price. hahahahahaha!!!
Old 01-11-13, 02:10 PM   #12
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Who pulled your chain and . One for you and one for the white horse you rode in here on. BWAHAHAHA
Old 01-11-13, 03:33 PM   #13
bassboogieman

Introducing Mr. Pot to Mr. Kettle? The above's cousins are much more fun...
Mr. POT

meet Mr. Ketle

Now let the party begin.

**The above commentary is not intended to promote the use or abuse either of the above products...
Old 01-11-13, 03:51 PM   #14
joedog

I got to ask,
Whats the Mr. Ketle pic?

The site blocked the second photo. Meaning 'usually' that it's hilarious!?!
The first photo I only use when baking.

Came back and photo there now?
Now the Ketel works when doing ANY cooking...especially BARBEQUEING!
Old 01-11-13, 03:57 PM   #15
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Introducing Mr. Pot to Mr. Kettle? The above's cousins are much more fun...
Mr. POT

meet Mr. Ketle

Now let the party begin.

**The above commentary is not intended to promote the use or abuse either of the above products...
Old 01-11-13, 06:07 PM   #16
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
hahahaha..poor ol brucie.....never knew huh? andi bet no one knows the secret of 3DKICKER....what thename means.... i do......hehehehehee.
but i won't tell if 3d/smitty doesn't want me to. i can keep secrets....well sometimes. and for a price. hahahahahaha!!!
Yes you do know all about the d in 3dkicker...... No secret at all.

3 dinks and a kicker. What we used to weigh in during Tuesday night team tournaments. Lake had a 12-15" slot and we'd normally weigh 3 unders and 1 over every night. We'd catch plenty of 14"+ fish but would have to throw them back.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.