Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-09, 11:43 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default What needs improving this year?

What are going to try to improve about your fishing this year. I don't mean what techniques and stuff, I mean what about yourself and fishing.

For me, it's patience. If I'm not getting a bite within like 15 minutes, swtich lures. I know it's not good to not switch, but I need to use a lure longer before I switchi it. The other thing I'd like to do is actually get out and fish more, even if it's just in my pond with all the dink bass.

BB
Old 01-05-09, 02:01 PM   #2
TRUMAN BASSER
BassFishin.Com Member

A buddy of mine had a conversation with Rick Clunn and he talked about how its the little things that can add up to a great year. Paying more attention to detail is probably what I am going to concentrate on most this upcomming year. Maximizing the amount of time my bait is in productive water is one of my major concerns. Also being able to make the last two hours of a tournament productive ones in which I am culling or getting that extra bite to put me higher in the standings. Mr. Clunn talked about how we would like to fish as hard as possible the entire day but he said that the mind can only be in the zone for so long. He said that the difference between the great anglers and the average angler is being able to be mentally tough when its getting down to the wire and making good moves and not panicking. You can't give up when there is only an hour left or minutes. He said that he tries to block it out. One problem I had after looking back at some of the tournaments last year was not changing up my presentation after catching some fish in an area. I did a lot of running and gunning and I need to slow down more after I catch a couple before I move on. I know I skipped over a lot of fish trying to duplicate my pattern all over the lake. It's going to be about making the right moves at the right time.
TRUMAN BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 02:09 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01

i need to work on making better decisions in the heat of the moment. a lot of times in the last few years i have been driving home from a tourney and said "man what was i thinking when i mad that move". in the heat of the moment i have been making decisions to run here, or stay here, or just forgeting about a great spot that i could have hit on the way back to the weigh in. just like in any other sport, it seems like the game moves slower for the great ones, like they make such great decisions all the time it looks like they have more time to think it out than everyone else. i just need to work on slowing things down because i have always been my own worst enemy and really need to change it.
Old 01-05-09, 03:18 PM   #4
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

To me itīs easy, I just canīt catch fish on buzzbaits even if my life depended on it. Everybody say they are great, Iīve tried them in many places, in many conditions, different speed rates, different weights, different colors and nope they donīt work for me, go figure.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 06:03 PM   #5
Lilmoosecountry

Must try to use other baits. But that danged ol dropshot & swimbaits just kept catching fish.
Old 01-05-09, 09:20 PM   #6
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I am going to work on trying to simplify my approach to fishing. What i mean by that is to use fewer techniques but fish them better.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 09:47 PM   #7
keithdog

This is going to be such a buisy year that I know I am going to have to spend less hours on the water than ever before. Therefore, the thing I will need to improve is making the right choices of where and how to fish at any given moment to make my time on the water as productive as I can.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 10:06 PM   #8
bamabassman

i'd have to say that i am in need of improvement in ALL fazes of my fishing. lmao. need to try new things, techiniques, lures. for sure need to slow down and fish more throughly.
otherwise, in my personal; life........ be glad that i have each and every day to enjoy and "stop and smell the roses". stop worrying about money (gotta have it to worry anyway, right?) spend as much time with my beautifull wife as i can, parents too.
really want ot get my dad back on the water with me. and finally... MEET AS MANY OF YOU NUTS AS I CAN!!

how's that bb? hahahaha.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 10:40 PM   #9
MIbasser

More than anything I would really like to just spend more time on the water and understand the lakes better. Find how to use my electronics better to locate structure and find fish.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 10:43 PM   #10
woody

I'm gonna try to spend more time fishing with family and friends this year. I have room for some good company and it doesnt hurt so bad, when they offer to split the gas with ya.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 10:47 PM   #11
bamabassman

better than playing football huh woody? hahahaha
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 10:52 PM   #12
woody

It doesnt hurt as bad the next morning either.
Old 01-05-09, 11:09 PM   #13
Basscrazie

I am gonna get the jig to work for me.Learn and fish more deep water and use my elecrtonics to my advantage.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 12:04 AM   #14
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu4600 View Post
I am going to work on trying to simplify my approach to fishing. What i mean by that is to use fewer techniques but fish them better.

I have to agree with you on this one. I have vowed to take less baits to the water with me. Force myself to stick with something until I am confident in that bait.
Old 01-06-09, 10:20 PM   #15
Jim80

Last season i cleaned up a lot of my bad fishing habits , but this year i would really like to get more time on larger lakes and rivers in , rather than the large ponds and smaller lakes .
And i would like to build a little confidence in dropshotting

Jim
Old 01-07-09, 01:13 AM   #16
WTL

This might come out of left field....

To improve my fishing this year, I kinda need to improve my bottom line. Meaning I've been skimping on tackle, gas, and time on the water cause of money.
Old 01-08-09, 11:32 PM   #17
barkelypup

I'm gonna leave every bait other than jigs and plastics at home this year. I can catch em on plastics but I still don't have the feel of the jig quite down yet. I have a buddy I fish tourneys with and a jig is all he uses. He said he can do anything with a jig that I can do with any other bait. Swim it like a crank and spinner. Drag it like a worm. He said its the total bait. I shall see. Won't be doing as much tourney fishing this year due to wife wanting to build a house so most of my fishing will be for mostly for fun. Heck thats how it should be anyway.

bP
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-09, 10:24 AM   #18
Brute
BassFishin.Com Member

I need to get better at locating fish somewhere besides the shoreline.
I spend most of my time beating the banks, and I know there are more and larger fish on the offshore structure.

Brute
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-09, 11:10 AM   #19
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
This might come out of left field....

To improve my fishing this year, I kinda need to improve my bottom line. Meaning I've been skimping on tackle, gas, and time on the water cause of money.
I agree with you WTL-- past years I've done 20+ tourney a year, but last year I probably didn't get my boat out 20 times...if gas prices stay where they are I will be gettin out more...other than that I would like to work on 3 key things..

1) More deepwater crankin'...really started nailin' fish in deeper water last year and it built my deep water confidence

2) Skipping....I fish a lot with an Amateur pro who is unbelievable at skippin under docks and hard to reach places...I can do it, but not accurately and consistently

3) Take a kid fishing...I am vowing that this year I will take a less fortunate kid fishing with me...my fiance before becoming a nurse worked in social work and I got to see first hand how truly sad some parents treat their children
Old 01-09-09, 11:45 AM   #20
Jigger

Spend more time pre-fishing my tournament lakes and vow to spend a good portion of those days cruising off shore looking for structure that doesn't get pounded and fishing it.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-09, 12:38 PM   #21
woody

I need to work on not letting those really slow fishing days get me so down and instead, using the time to locate and chart new spots.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.