Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-09, 11:12 PM   #26
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I'd have to disagree with you there dodgeguy. While most in the 100 dollar price range are, not all are. Anyways, a balancer is a good idea. I thing I'm going to add one to my flippin stick this spring. Maybe to my musky rod as well, talk about tip heavy.

BB
i have to disagree with you there dude.i've picked up gloomis rods ,kistler's ,st croix legend tournaments ,esox rods,carrot sticks ,diawa steez rods etc... they are all tip heavy.a properly balanced rod is neutrally balanced at the center of the reel seat.this way any reel goes on it and doesn't change the balance.it also is perfectly balanced when you are palming it.all rods that do not have a balancer are usually balanced 3 to 4 inches or more in front of the foregrip.
Old 05-02-09, 06:49 PM   #27
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

It is hard to find a properly balanced stock rod, but I've held a few.

For one, my dad's Loomis IMX 6'6" M rod is balanced perfect. and it's so light, it offsets the 9.4 oz of reel he put on it. The other one that comes to mind right now is the Shimano Cumara. This rod has to be one of the lightest I've felt. the 7'2" weighs in at just over 3 oz I believe, and it is nicely balanced. And that's sayin something for a rod over 7'. I've heard that these rods, sensitivity wise, are between a Loomis IMX and GLX. But thinking back on, for the most part, you are right. I've never held a kistler, or a falcon, or a carrot stick (well a spinning one). I'm not a big St. Croix (or St. Crow as Zook says) fan, so I've never looked at any of them but the Mojo. And for a 450 dollar rod, I do have to say the Steez should be much better balanced than it is.

BB
Old 05-02-09, 07:13 PM   #28
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
but i do like the rods that i have as i mentioned. jsut want the fenwicks.
lol just you wait bama...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post

btw, anyone used the AiRRUS Co-MATRiX 457, It's under 100, and got a 9.08 + Editor's Choice! on tackle tour!

Looks like a good rod!

oh yeah thats a nice stick der....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
I recently bought a Fenwick Iron Hawk at Gander for 60 bucks. Only used it a couple times, but so far it seems like one awesome rod.
If you don't have a Gander nearby, it's apparently Gander's version of another fenwick. Zooker knows the name I believe
fenwick eagle gt trigger stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
The new Bassmaster has an article on the best rods for under $70. It's a worthwhile read. They picked the Shimano Clarus as #1 for the price, but the Femwick Eagle GT is a great rod for the price, too. If you are having a problem with a rod being tip heavy, you can fix that with a little thing called the Balancer, It only costs $8. I have a flippin stick that is a little tip heavy and I use one. It solved the problem and I didn't have to buy another rod.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
i have to disagree with you there dude.i've picked up gloomis rods ,kistler's ,st croix legend tournaments ,esox rods,carrot sticks ,diawa steez rods etc... they are all tip heavy.a properly balanced rod is neutrally balanced at the center of the reel seat.this way any reel goes on it and doesn't change the balance.it also is perfectly balanced when you are palming it.all rods that do not have a balancer are usually balanced 3 to 4 inches or more in front of the foregrip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
It is hard to find a properly balanced stock rod, but I've held a few.

For one, my dad's Loomis IMX 6'6" M rod is balanced perfect. and it's so light, it offsets the 9.4 oz of reel he put on it. The other one that comes to mind right now is the Shimano Cumara. This rod has to be one of the lightest I've felt. the 7'2" weighs in at just over 3 oz I believe, and it is nicely balanced. And that's sayin something for a rod over 7'. I've heard that these rods, sensitivity wise, are between a Loomis IMX and GLX. But thinking back on, for the most part, you are right. I've never held a kistler, or a falcon, or a carrot stick (well a spinning one). I'm not a big St. Croix (or St. Crow as Zook says) fan, so I've never looked at any of them but the Mojo. And for a 450 dollar rod, I do have to say the Steez should be much better balanced than it is.

BB

don't ya just hate it when folks talk about ya behind der back..

da mopar madman is right up to a point...

if your buying a rod and have the reel you want to put on it..fill the reel with planned line of choice.. go to the location.. put your reel on the planned stick and see how it feels..if your payin thru the butt for a rod it needs to fit YOUR taste..
i do this to about 90% of the rods i buy.. and try 15-20 sticks while i am there..i buy most of my sticks from one location.-dey love me there- i show the clerks my reel they put a sticker on it and a way i go..i have test fitted 500 differant rods in one night. till i found the stick i wanted. and i broke it the third time i used it...dam chain pickeral...

zooker
Old 05-02-09, 08:49 PM   #29
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post

da mopar madman is right up to a point...

if your buying a rod and have the reel you want to put on it..fill the reel with planned line of choice.. go to the location.. put your reel on the planned stick and see how it feels..if your payin thru the butt for a rod it needs to fit YOUR taste..
i do this to about 90% of the rods i buy.. and try 15-20 sticks while i am there..i buy most of my sticks from one location.-dey love me there- i show the clerks my reel they put a sticker on it and a way i go..i have test fitted 500 differant rods in one night. till i found the stick i wanted. and i broke it the third time i used it...dam chain pickeral...

zooker

Thanks zook! Great tip again! Once I get at lest 100$ I'll go to gander and check out a few.... when I was there last night (went without out my reel) I looked at the finwicks, found one for 120.... man are we talking light!

I did not found any shimano rod though..
Old 05-02-09, 08:50 PM   #30
bamabassman

lmao, zooker.......... is it TIME yet? hahahahaha, this is getting harder by the day man.
Old 05-02-09, 09:01 PM   #31
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
lmao, zooker.......... is it TIME yet? hahahahaha, this is getting harder by the day man.
Ya when is that any way?
Old 05-17-09, 09:00 PM   #32
Charles Slone
BassFishin.Com Member

St. Croix Triuph, St. Croix Mojo Bass, Berkley Lightning Shock!, Shakespeare Ugly Stik Lite.
Charles Slone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-09, 11:07 AM   #33
sac
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My vote would be the Berkley Shock series. But if you don't mind saving another $50 I'd def. say the Bass Mojo! Amazing in my opinion.

I have a Bionic blade and it's ok. Nothing special.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	berk-lightning-rod.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	3577  
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-09, 02:11 PM   #34
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac View Post
My vote would be the Berkley Shock series. But if you don't mind saving another $50 I'd def. say the Bass Mojo! Amazing in my opinion.

I have a Bionic blade and it's ok. Nothing special.
Thanks! I'm needing a new rod more so now than I did when I posted this, the rod I have now is all dinged.

The bad part is is that job I was trying to get.... well, I didn't get it.

The monkey will have to go a little longer, but for now, I have 5$, and the monkey want a 30th spinnerbait!

btw, I was looking at the shock rod a little while ago!
Old 05-18-09, 04:41 PM   #35
Charles Slone
BassFishin.Com Member

Berkley Lightning Rod Shock! is great. So is the Mojo Bass.
Charles Slone is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.